Shooting House project *Update*

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
My son & I started building a new shooting house yesterday. Didn't get near as much done as planned because it was so stinking hot!
I started cramping & then got nauseous, so we quit.
I wanted to at least frame the top because I'm afraid the sun might draw the posts, but we didn't get that far.
I was gonna post a pic but it says file too large.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I'm sure you and your son will enjoy it soon. Looking good so far.

Rabun

Looks like the beginning of many memories..starting with the one of building it together (y) Stay hydrated out in the heat. Come on Fall!

4HAND

Staff member
Thanks. A lot more work to finish it, but we're enjoying it.

Put a camera out a week ago. This is the best buck on camera so far. It's a pic of a pic, so it's not real clear.

20181001_134049.jpg

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Looking good. I know you'll be glad when it's done!

4HAND

Staff member
Ran over after work & got the top framed & some bracing done (it's a 45 minute drive).
Was a lot cooler this evening, good breeze blowing. Hope to complete it this weekend.

Darkhorse

I build mine a little different. I prebuild the entire box stand at home, then number all the pieces. When it's time to put it up I take it back apart and load it on a trailer and drive as close to the stand site as I can, then either drag the pieces with my ATV or with whatever help I can scrounge up to the site. Then partially reassemble it and stand it up with a pulley on a tree and my winch.
Your building this the way I like to do with tall 4X4's as the basic frame. Looking good.
I built this one on a powerline with the legs set in concrete. A few years later hunters from adjoining property's began to take morning and evening strolls up and down the powerline. So cut off the legs with a chain saw then took it apart and took it home.

SS850013_1024x768.jpg

I extended the legs and added braces and a top, extended the stairs too. A storm blew over part of our old privacy fence and I used parts of it as siding. The roof is only there to help put me in shadow it won't stop water. There are things I would have done better but I ran out of time. Had to drag everything in with my ATV as it's a long way from a road. Had help getting it up but I had to finish all the upper part myself. It's ugly but it works.

Box_Blind.jpg

4HAND

Staff member
Still haven't finished it, but went over this evening & tied it down ahead of Hurricane Michael.
Screwed a mobile home anchor into the ground underneath it & attached 2 ratchet straps. Maybe that'll hold it.
20181008_194055.jpgI had to crop the photo so it only shows the tied down part.

Darkhorse

Not what you want hear to 4HAND but I used to have a really nice 16' tripod, I tied it down the way descibe. An anchor in the ground and heavy ratchet straps to secure it. I walked it to hunt it one morning and the wind had blown it down. The stakes on each foot were pulled out of the ground and the ring on the end of the anchor was bent at a right angle.
After that to gain mechanicle advantage I would use a anchor at each corner turned in at angle so it would pull the entire length of the anchor instead of just the ring. Then attach rachet straps and pull down tight. Now all corners are tied down and resist wind from any direction. I haven't had one blow over since.
This one I used 2 stout trees at the front as anchors, in the back are 1 anchor at each side and one on a small tree.
I hope it survives the hurricane.

box1_768x1024.jpg

box2_800x600.jpg

4HAND

Staff member
Not what you want hear to 4HAND but I used to have a really nice 16' tripod, I tied it down the way descibe. An anchor in the ground and heavy ratchet straps to secure it. I walked it to hunt it one morning and the wind had blown it down. The stakes on each foot were pulled out of the ground and the ring on the end of the anchor was bent at a right angle.
After that to gain mechanicle advantage I would use a anchor at each corner turned in at angle so it would pull the entire length of the anchor instead of just the ring. Then attach rachet straps and pull down tight. Now all corners are tied down and resist wind from any direction. I haven't had one blow over since.
This one I used 2 stout trees at the front as anchors, in the back are 1 anchor at each side and one on a small tree.
I hope it survives the hurricane.

box1_768x1024.jpg

box2_800x600.jpg
Uh oh. I hope it makes it.

4HAND

Staff member
Finished it this evening. Well, except for carpet in the floor.
Probably be after hunting season before the deer get used to it. Lol20181016_214156.jpg

Darkhorse

Glad it made it through the storm. We just got power back yesterday afternoon and it will be a few days before I can check mine out. I'm don't have a real positive attitude that it's still standing though.

4HAND

Staff member
Glad it made it through the storm. We just got power back yesterday afternoon and it will be a few days before I can check mine out. I'm don't have a real positive attitude that it's still standing though.

Maybe it will be. I know you're glad to have power restored.