Shot shell reloading

hoffy

I am wondering if anyone uses the Lee Load All shotshell reloader. I have been thinking of starting to reload shotgun mainly light game loads but may also include heavy game loads.
Any advice is welcomed, thank you!!!

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I am wondering if anyone uses the Lee Load All shotshell reloader. I have been thinking of starting to reload shotgun mainly light game loads but may also include heavy game loads.
I've loaded quite a few shells on those Lee's and they work fine. You'll have no problem loading either light or heavy loads with it.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
If you get into shotshell loading and want to increase the volume look for MEC 600jr at yard sales or local classifieds. I have bought quite a few for $60 and less.

BriarPatch99

Start with a MEC ... Hate to say it(I am the last person to say) but now is not a good time to start loading shot shells ...shot is really expensive... primers are like hen's teeth and expensive ...

Now is a good time to gather hulls and wads as to be more ready to begin once primers get common again ... concentrate on one type hull ... go to a local range or dove field ...pick up hulls(not wet ones)... sort them out ...

Follow the data if you do begin ... shot shell reloading is much different than rifle/pistol cartridge reloading ...
Cheddite primers are about the only primers available right now... and expensive...

JeffinPTC

I don't think I've ever paid more than $30 for a K of primers, but I haven't bought any since Firearmegeddon Shotgun Joe edition.
Ballistic Products is a good place for shotgun stuff and they have primers:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/C...mit-20-boxes-20000-primers/productinfo/CH209/
Even wads have almost doubled in price:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Claybuster-CB1100-12-WAA12SL-500_bag/productinfo/030CBSL/

I'm with guys above though. Buy Winchester white box loaded if you can find them, or whatever you can find.

Last edited:

K80Shooter

Powder is the real problem right now. Even "if" you find any it will average out to a little over $50.00 a lb with hazmat and freight, again "if" you find any. Shot is about 62.50 a bag if you find it local, if not then you have to add freight again. Primers are hit and miss. You can almost forget about Winchester, Federal and Remington 209 primers. Right now, you might find some cheddite if you look really hard, again really expensive, $60.00 a thousand plus hazmat and freight.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I wouldn't recommend 12 ga. or 20 ga. field loads as the promo loads are still relatively inexpensive. Specialty loads are another matter, especially low pressure loads for old doubles, 2.5" for 16 and 12 gauges. Currently there are no sources for low pressure shotgun rounds because of component shortages with RST. I would load 12 ga. in 3/4 or 7/8 oz., however. I started a youngster with the 3/4 oz. load and to show him it wasn't a kid's load, I shot it as well and did pretty fair shooting it on dove. Same with 20 ga. load. Reloading .410 and 28 ga. is still economical as these factory loads' expense is inversely proportional to their size--by a wide margin. The above recommendations are for lead only. TSS for turkeys is another matter regardless of gauge and it is still far cheaper to load than to buy factory. Gil

Last edited:

fauxferret

Lee Load all will get you by but MEC 600 JR if you have the choice. I have several in different gauges. My 28Ga MEC sees the most action. Unfortunately due to the Obama administration they had legislation that led to the last lead shot smelting plant to close in the USA. That is the cause for why shot is prohibitively expensive. You can actually get ahead on this but only after significant equipment investment. A friend of mine bought one the lead shot makers was not cheap and takes a considerable footprint in his workshop. But he gets a lot of lead for free and he is retired so he is only truly out his time at this point. If you're looking for specialty rounds or sub gauges reloading for shot shell will make a difference. If you're just doing bird shot just buy in bulk. Couple guys I hunt with will split half a pallet of shells every season. The local shop loves it too because they don't have to unload them lol. If you plan to do TSS, Buckshot or slug then it would be a worthwhile investment. Also be aware European hulls and American hulls are not equal and do not use the same size primer. They are both 209 yes but the European primers are I believe approximately .001-.002" larger. American 209s will either be loose or will not stay in the primer pocket.

hoffy

Thank you all, I have bought many boxes of shells over a lot of years and was just thinking about trying
shot shell reloading, I have several boxes of hulls. Which reminds me, are there certain brands that are better than others???

Big7

The Oracle
I'm a big Lee fan. Everybody on here knowns that.

The best shotgun shell loader, by far, is MEC.
Not all that expensive either.

aabradley82

Thank you all, I have bought many boxes of shells over a lot of years and was just thinking about trying
shot shell reloading, I have several boxes of hulls. Which reminds me, are there certain brands that are better than others???

12 and 20 ga use remington hulls, I prefer sets and nitros but any rem hull will work
28 and 410 use AA. They’ll last
16ga i like federal(purple) then any of the cheddites

BriarPatch99

Which reminds me, are there certain brands that are better than others???

Yes Sir ... depending on which gauge you wanting to reload...
This is opinion ... but to me the best hull for 12 & 20 were Winchester AA Compression Formed ...problem is ...they are no longer made ...but can be found from time to time.
Nowadays the Remington Gun clubs type(most Remington hulls are interchangeable) are considered too notch ... and the Winchester HS which replaced the CF AA hulls reload as good as any ... there are a few hulls some folks don't care to reload ...but most are reloadable ...how many times you can sorta depends on the plastic...

I have reloaded most brands of hulls in the past ... but like I stated it is best to find one particular hull and stick to that hull until you master the process ...as I said data should be followed to the T ... substitution of primers and wads can get you in trouble in a hurry ...

One thing You need to understand is there are two major types hulls ...tapered and straight wall hulls ...
Winchester &Remington are tapered types and Federal is straight walled ... best to use the correct wad for hull type ...

There are hundreds of different name brand hulls but they fall into the two types(unless you' find something really odd) ... bunch different wads also ..again follow the data ...

Now the sad part ...Cheddite primers are the most available right now...but data is limited ...Hodgdon has recently added some data for the Cheddite primers ....so there is where I point you to find data ...a few other places have data also...

BriarPatch99

One point I forgot ...primers vary in diameter by.brand .... using the wrong size in hull designed for a larger size can result in the primer falling out ...and it is possible to put the larger diameter primer in most hull ...then you have to stick to that diameter primer ... I suggest research to find out the diameters for different brands...

JeffinPTC

Don't waste time trying to reload the cheap stuff, the Walmart white box, etc. The crimp will not stay closed and you'll have shot fall out.
When I started 10 years ago, Ballistic Products had Fiocchi Primed 12 ga on sale for about 8 cents each for 2k. I believe they're made in US. I've still got them thru at least 5 reloads. I've mostly used Nobel Sport (European) primers and never had a problem with the aforementioned primers falling out. I got a great deal on AA loaded ($5/ box) and have been shooting them 3 years and haven't tried the NS primers in them yet.
And if you can find it, Promo is cheaper than Red Dot and I've "heard" the Red Dot recipes will work. I've used it in 12 Ga, 9mm, 45, etc.
And Claybuster wads ditto. They even tell you on the bag which wads they substitute for.

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
Each hull type (even among same manufacturer) have different designs internally. Some are straigtwalled, some tapered,some has plastic basewad, some have paper.
There are specific wads made for each.
I suggest getting the latest edition of Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook.
It has in depth information explaining the different aspects plus recipes for all.
20220915_075541.jpg

Last edited:

rosewood

At this point, I would save my reload components for making the more expensive harder to find loads. Buy the factory fodder for game and bird loads since it seems to be readily available right now.

Rosewood

B. White

I had a Lee about 40 years ago and it did a fair job. I have the MEC now and it does a good job of crimping. As mentioned above find Winchester AA hulls. I bought a bunch from Bass Pro a few years ago, but don't see them advertised now. Remington gun club hulls reload pretty good too, if I remember right. I couldn't find components I wanted for heavier loads last year at a price I would pay, but haven't checked lately.