Shotgun red dot reccomendations

Got a new mossberg 500 12 gauge recently and I wanted to put a red dot on it to make it bit more versatile for turkey/deer/bird hunting. Anyone have any recommendations?

Reactions: Dub

cowhornedspike

Not all "red dots" involve electronics. I use the Trijicon rm04 and it only uses available light to light the dot. Can't have a battery or electronics failure because it doesn't have any...

ol bob

Fastfire 3, been using one on a mossburg 835 shooting 31/2" for 5 years no problems, if they will take that recoil they can take anything.

frankwright

I have a Red Dot on my 20ga Remington 870 Turkey gun. I have a Red Dot on my 20ga Single shot turkey gun.
I have a Red Dot on my Remington 870 Home Defenses Shotgun.
I have a Red Dot on Three handguns I shoot in Competition.
I have a Red Dot on my every day carry Sig 365.
I have never had a bad experience with any of them.
I have used Burris, Vortex, Holosun, Sig and Swampfox and was pleased with them all.
I currently am using a lot of Swampfox as I like the big view area of the Justice model and also they give a good discount to First Responders and Veterans.

RomeWolf

Have a Romeo 5 on my 835 for turkeys that has not given me any problems. Would be good for deer too. For flying birds I think it would take your head up off the sight plane too far to be effective.

Heard an engineer from an optics company say the worst recoil application for red dots isn’t a shotgun as I would have thought. He said semiauto pistols are hardest on them due to the force of the actuating slide.

Have a Romeo 5 on my 835 for turkeys that has not given me any problems. Would be good for deer too. For flying birds I think it would take your head up off the sight plane too far to be effective.

Heard an engineer from an optics company say the worst recoil application for red dots isn’t a shotgun as I would have thought. He said semiauto pistols are hardest on them due to the force of the actuating slide.
I do have a the cheek riser stock that slug guns come with, but it makes sense. Might just set up my 500 for deer/turkey and keep my mav 88 for birds, if I ever get to hunt them

fauxferret

I've run a trijicon RMR and a Holosun on a Beretta 1301 COMP. I can group slugs in 2" groups at 50 yards. Does just fine as a hog gun. YMMV but I find it a bit more refined than a bead

Reactions: Dub