Sighting in your muzzle loader with a scope?

mlmathis123

I just mounted the scope on my ML and was doing some surfing on the web looking for information on sighting it in. This is a portion of information I found, is this good valid information

Quote" Before you sight your scope on your muzzleloader, you will need to do a little ballistics lesson. As you may know, the bullet from your muzzle loader crosses the line of sight the first time going upward. The point at which that first crossing takes place is, on average, roughly in the 10 - 15 yard range in front of the muzzle. For the sake of simplicity, split the difference, and place your target at 12 1/2 yards. "

I want to try to cover all my bases before heading to the range. I have picked up my 250grain shockwaves and my 777 50 cal 50 grain pellets and a pack of 30 grain also. so all i'm waiting to do now is to get good solid information before heading to the range.

Thanks

Mike

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Mike, sight it just like a rifle.

Have it bore sighted first (no matter how rough) and start shooting at 25 yards. Have it dead on at 25 and move to 100 to fine tune

HandgunHTR

Steelringin' Mod

Have it bore sighted first (no matter how rough) and start shooting at 25 yards. Have it dead on at 25 and move to 100 to fine tune

Yep. What Jim said.

That is all I have ever done.

Also, if you can, you can save yourself some money if you don't have a bore-sighter and can get the breach-plug out and look down the barrel (I don't know what kind of ML you have, but you can do it with any of the break-open kind). Take the breach-plug out and look down the barrel. Center the barrel on the target and then look through the scope. If the cross-hairs are on target, you should be on paper at 25 yards.

dogrunnerk

hey mike what i done with my cva rifle when i put the scope on it is i put it in my led sled on my table in the house find a door knob or any other target[ with the breech plug out] safety first, look through the bore of the barrel get it on your target set the scope just above that. it helped me had to shoot gun at club maybe four times to do final set. shooting 777 powder with 180 grain sabots. hope this helps:shoot:

patterstdeer

I shoot a CVA Optima Pro .45 and sight it dead on at 25 yds shooting a 195 gr. powerbelt bullet with 100 gr of powder and at 100 yds am about 3' high but once at 150 am dead on this works great for me.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
I just went through this a month ago. I have "high or see-thru" rings on my Magbolt 150. I bought a Laserlyte Bore sighter from Wal-mart and made every mistake possible. Bore sighted too close(15 feet) and listened to some guy standing next to the range who swore " I was a foot to the right" on the 50yd. target. I actually was never even hitting the backboard flying way high over everything. I left after 6 shots to ask for help(on this forum) and NOYDB came through.
After boresighting at 50 yds i was 6 inches off with first shot and had 100yd groups touching within 4 shots.
Eat your Wheaties. Those Shockwaves are nearly impossible to get down the barrel and seat after the first shot(at least in my .50cal magbolt).

j_seph

Yup just like a rifle

Dub

Yup.

Assuming it's an inline model:

1-take the breech plug out

2-aim by looking through the bore at your 100 yard (or farther if you can) target...I suggest using one that has a red or orange center (something high vis to focus on)

3-pack it down firmly with sandbags as it aims at your target

4-adjust the scope so that it is aimed on the same point as your barrel (by looking down the bore to your far away target)

5-shoot it once at 25 yards and make corrections as needed

6-shoot it at 100 and make corrections as needed

7-now keep shooting and cleaning as much as you'd like.....muzzleloaders take a little work to play with but they are fun to shoot as well as rewarding as heck when you make a kill

257 roberts

Yup.

Assuming it's an inline model:

1-take the breech plug out

2-aim by looking through the bore at your 100 yard (or farther if you can) target...I suggest using one that has a red or orange center (something high vis to focus on)

3-pack it down firmly with sandbags as it aims at your target

4-adjust the scope so that it is aimed on the same point as your barrel (by looking down the bore to your far away target)

5-shoot it once at 25 yards and make corrections as needed

6-shoot it at 100 and make corrections as needed

7-now keep shooting and cleaning as much as you'd like.....muzzleloaders take a little work to play with but they are fun to shoot as well as rewarding as heck when you make a kill

Yep:)

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Those Shockwaves are nearly impossible to get down the barrel and seat after the first shot(at least in my .50cal magbolt).

run a wet patch followed by a dry patch between shots and the bullets will seat easily and you will not only improve accuracy, but also be real surprised how easy the cleaning is.

mlmathis123

Thanks everyone :) you guys are top notch in my book. I appreciate all the information.

Mike