Sitka, First Lite, Asio????

medic1

I want to make an investment in some quality hunting clothing and get rid of the cheap stuff. What do you recommend for 25-40 degrees with some wind (November in Kentucky)? I already have FL base layers. Cost isn’t a factor but warmth without the bulk and durability is. Thanks.

Sixes

I have the FL Sanctuary bibs and jacket. The bibs are almost too much for here.

I also have the FL Solitude bibs and they are, by far, the best bibs that I have ever owned. For me, they are perfect over a pair of sweat pants and FL mid layer quarter zip pullover.

Cool weather, I wear a North Mountain Gear leafy over a shirt and the Solitude bibs, cold weather, I wear the same bibs and add the heavier coat.

I've sat in low-mid 20s with wind with the Solitude bibs over sweatpants and had no cold issues.

The FL Uncompaghre puffy is a great jacket to have for days that are warm that end chilly at dark or for early morning hunts that warm up quick, like turkey hunts. The puffy stores in it's on pocket, weighs next to nothing and packs down to about an 8x3 square

flatsmaster

I’m 68 so I’m sure I get colder then I use to
Have kiln and furnace base by FL and I’m bow only and I have Sitka Stratus that’s wind proof that is awesome to 30 for me but if they called for mid 20’s with stout wind in Mid West I’d go heavier and deal with some bulk with the stuff I have … I’m looking hard at the FL solitude

ssramage

I really like my FL stuff, especially the aerowool shirts for hunting in the heat. I've got some of their corrugate guide pants also which have held up well, except the vinyl "First Lite" decals on them are long gone. Hard to be a brand fan boy posing at the Walmarts when people can't even tell what I'm wearing and that I spent a lot of money on it...

Jim Boyd

MT050

Wioltimate

If they are still available.

Temps you are talking about are easily manageable.

Good head covering and a muff for hands.

You will be golden.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
This gets me down to about as cold as we will ever encounter. It of course gets mix and matched depending how low it gets and how much wind there is. The heavyweight bibs and jackets from the big companies are too heavy for my liking so I stick with the midweight. I tried the solitude bibs from FL and for some reason didnt like the fit and sold them. The Asio bibs are great in my wee mind. The sleeves on the Asio jacket are a little tight for my liking but it is well made and the wind block is perfect so I deal with it. The Asio midweight is comparable to the Sitka Stratus and First Lite Solitude. The Solitude Jacket gets a lot of complaints from bow hunters because of the collar being high but it's well made.

If any of you are on FB there's a couple of huge and very active swap and sell groups for all of the big brands. I buy and sell stuff there a lot. FB is very much the debil, but at least the swap and sell still works for me.

Also if you like First Lite, they will probably be releasing a handful of changes that will help their deer hunting line in the next couple of months.

First Lite wool bases. Wick Hoody or Kiln hoody/crew and Furnace 1/4 zip as needed. Kiln and Furnace bottoms (although I use a different brand in place of the furnace bottoms because I like the fit better).

Heavyweight fleece top and bottom from Kuiu as needed.

Asio windproof mid season bibs and jacket as needed.

Lightweight puffy vest (yeah yeah I know I dont look as good in a vest as some of the Duttons but whadda ya do?) as needed.
Stays stuffed in the pack most of the time.

TJay

I got cold on a daylight to dark sit in Kentucky one year. Up to that point Cabela's Wootimate jacket and Elite Fleece bibs were my go-to for cold weather and still is here in GA. Anyway I decided to bite the bullet and buy some serious cold weather gear. I got the Sitka Fanatic jacket and the Stratus bibs. Season before last on a hunt in KY each morning started in the mid teens and I was fine. Their balaclava is also a nice bit of kit and I get a lot of use out of it here in GA as well as up north. About this time each year Sitka puts their stuff on sale plus vets and first responders get a discount via GovX. Camofire has Sitka stuff marked down on a regular basis as well as Black Ovis and Linton Outdoors. I've bought a good bit from Linton Outdoors during their sales.
That being said any of the three you mentioned would be a good choice, I just wound up with Sitka.

Last edited:

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
I upgraded my 'kit' last year, in anticipation of my NM elk hunt. Got two layers of first lite (Wick long & short sleeve base layer, and a Kiln hoodie, and a kiln base layer bottoms). I read lots of reviews on their pants and as Dustin said above, they tend to rip. I ended up with these from Sportsman's Guide, and love them. Durable, pockets in all the right places, knee reinforcement (and pad pouch). https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/condor-paladin-tactical-pants?p=WX2&i=729916

NM was different hunting that eastern white-tail....moving vs sitting. I never got cold, even if I did work up a sweat.

livetohunt

I have the Asio late season gear and I have a Sitka fanatic set. You cannot go wrong with either one in the conditions you mentioned. The Cabelas MT050 whitetail extreme parka/pants are just as good(or better) and also waterproof. Don't rule out keeping your current clothing and buying a heater body suit. I also highly recommend the Sitka blizzard beanie or the fanatic beanie.

crucible02

KUIU’s Proximity line is legit for cold weather deer hunting. I prefer KUIU over Sitka but Sitka absolutely killed it with their Fanatic line. Just crazy expensive.

uturn

Sitka stratus and fanatic are king
Only truly wind resistant outer layers out there.
I’ve tried many of them, kept the Stratus and Fanatic
This is my thoughts exactly! I’m archery only as well and, all of my stuff has quite a few seasons on it and are in as new condition..Sitka has done a good job silencing their current line up for archery hunters…the only complaint I would ever have with my older stuff…they seem to be cut for my body type as well! I have the full line up of the Elevated Series. I believe windshear or proof along with best base layer is key to success regardless of brand!!

Seems the buy once cry once is a great philosophy when it comes to this stuff…good luck!

flatsmaster

I have the Asio late season gear and I have a Sitka fanatic set. You cannot go wrong with either one in the conditions you mentioned. The Cabelas MT050 whitetail extreme parka/pants are just as good(or better) and also waterproof. Don't rule out keeping your current clothing and buying a heater body suit. I also highly recommend the Sitka blizzard beanie or the fanatic beanie.
I’m not sure if those 2 are suppose to be warmer then the Boreal Beanie but I can’t wear it if above mid 20’s … crazy warm

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
IMO for a base layer you can't beat Smartwool Merino wool thermals.

TJay

The Cabela's E.C.W.S is a good base layer or at least it used to be. Seems I heard they had changed it and it's not as good now.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
The Cabela's E.C.W.S is a good base layer or at least it used to be. Seems I heard they had changed it and it's not as good now.

I've got some and I liked it too until I switched to wool.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I’m not sure if those 2 are suppose to be warmer then the Boreal Beanie but I can’t wear it if above mid 20’s … crazy warm

I bought this last season and it's sweet. Especially since I hate wearing a ballcap. Looks funny on my head though :bounce:

slow motion

I bought this last season and it's sweet. Especially since I hate wearing a ballcap. Looks funny on my head though :bounce:

Kinda looks like a pith helmet. If I was talented with photoshop I'd put your face in this pic but alas. Folks will have to use their imagination.

I give you the future of warm weather whitetail apparel.
Screenshot_20240306-125233_Adblock Browser.jpg