Sitka, First Lite, Asio????

medic1

This gets me down to about as cold as we will ever encounter. It of course gets mix and matched depending how low it gets and how much wind there is. The heavyweight bibs and jackets from the big companies are too heavy for my liking so I stick with the midweight. I tried the solitude bibs from FL and for some reason didnt like the fit and sold them. The Asio bibs are great in my wee mind. The sleeves on the Asio jacket are a little tight for my liking but it is well made and the wind block is perfect so I deal with it. The Asio midweight is comparable to the Sitka Stratus and First Lite Solitude. The Solitude Jacket gets a lot of complaints from bow hunters because of the collar being high but it's well made.

If any of you are on FB there's a couple of huge and very active swap and sell groups for all of the big brands. I buy and sell stuff there a lot. FB is very much the debil, but at least the swap and sell still works for me.

Also if you like First Lite, they will probably be releasing a handful of changes that will help their deer hunting line in the next couple of months.

First Lite wool bases. Wick Hoody or Kiln hoody/crew and Furnace 1/4 zip as needed. Kiln and Furnace bottoms (although I use a different brand in place of the furnace bottoms because I like the fit better).

Heavyweight fleece top and bottom from Kuiu as needed.

Asio windproof mid season bibs and jacket as needed.

Lightweight puffy vest (yeah yeah I know I dont look as good in a vest as some of the Duttons but whadda ya do?) as needed.
Stays stuffed in the pack most of the time.
Thanks JT. I’m liking the Asio. I also have the Kiln base layers. Good stuff. Good to hear your suggestions.

medic1

Of note, as a first responder I get a good discount with all the named brands so cost is not a deciding factor. I just don’t want to waste money on something that’s not worth it.

Long Cut

This is my thoughts exactly! I’m archery only as well and, all of my stuff has quite a few seasons on it and are in as new condition..Sitka has done a good job silencing their current line up for archery hunters…the only complaint I would ever have with my older stuff…they seem to be cut for my body type as well! I have the full line up of the Elevated Series. I believe windshear or proof along with best base layer is key to success regardless of brand!!

Seems the buy once cry once is a great philosophy when it comes to this stuff…good luck!

What gets me is that most of these companies are now charging $250-$300 for jackets. You’re better off buying a Stratus jacket because it’s going to outperform the others, with significantly less bulk. With great warranties to boot.

A Walmart jacket won’t even keep you in the game they’re so poorly made nowadays. The amount of layers you’d need would be comical to compare to 1 Sitka or Kuiu jacket

I’ve tried getting away from Sitka because of the annoying bandwagon folk.. But the Stratus, Fanatic & Ambient stuff flat out works.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Forgot to mention....on First Lite, wait for the sales... they routinely have 20, 30 and a couple times a year, 40% off. I got all my stuff at least 30% off retail.

menhadenman

The SKRE stuff is really nice. I probably wouldn’t buy them again on account of wile nonsense but the UA Ridge Reaper puffy jacket and pants are the warmest stuff I’ve ever had on (like minus 20 glassing all day in Idaho Rockies). Lots of good options - good time to look for sales too.

Jim Boyd

I’ve tried getting away from Sitka because of the annoying bandwagon folk.. But the Stratus, Fanatic & Ambient stuff flat out works.

I love laughing at those bandwagon folks!!!

Haters are gonna hate and jealous folks are gonna be jelly.

Neither will keep you warm AND keep you IN the stand!

Gaswamp

Take a look at Forloh as well. Its expensive but at least its made in the USA. I have used a fair amount of their products and have been very happy with performance. They do have sales everynow and then.

dwhee87

@medic1 There's some Sitka gear on clearance at gearfool.com. 60% off.

Gaswamp

scentlok.com
blockeroutdoors.com usually have some great deals in their closeout section

dwhee87

First Lite has a 40% off sale on their "white-tail system" clothing.

firstlite.com

Gaswamp

scentlok.com
blockeroutdoors.com usually have some great deals in their closeout section
both scentlok and scent blocker are running a 30% off through Easter