Snake for coyote

buckpasser

I have an experiment underway and was curious to see if anyone here has any experience with it. I shot a huge moccasin today swimming across the duck pond (I was pumped to have hit him at all with my little .22 revolver, much less on the first shot with him moving!). I chopped him into three sections roughly 12”-14” long and placed him into a big hole/trench set. I had a small hole set there last week but buried the trap deep over the weekend because I was out of town and wouldn’t you know a coyote dug up the dead loss chick that was in there.

I expect the coyote will be back within a few days based off his sign and I was just curious what the odds were that he’d try a chopped up cottonmouth. Anyone else tried it? Thoughts?

sportsman94

Not with a moccasin, but Andy Weiser and Wayne Derrick use rattlesnakes in various baits and lures they make that are very successful. There’s a variation of an old timer summer time set that involves putting sections of rattlesnake sections in a bag and poking holes in it then burying. Supposed to let smell/gases escape without letting many ants in. Excited to hear how your experiment goes

Doug B.

I have no experience with using snake for bait. But my initial thought is how a dog reacts. A dog that has never seen a snake will jump when it smells one. Something in its brain tells it that a snake is danger. I'm sure that almost all coyotes have seen a snake. They also know snakes are dangerous. It will be interesting to see what the results of your experiment are.

buckpasser

I will certainly report back. Just don’t be disappointed when it’s a major let down! I did read about some rattlesnake use for coyotes/wolves. I was hoping someone may have tried a nasty ‘ol moccasin too. If it works I will be set. I usually average around 1/week this time of year.

furtaker

Not with a moccasin, but Andy Weiser and Wayne Derrick use rattlesnakes in various baits and lures they make that are very successful. There’s a variation of an old timer summer time set that involves putting sections of rattlesnake sections in a bag and poking holes in it then burying. Supposed to let smell/gases escape without letting many ants in. Excited to hear how your experiment goes
Never heard of somebody using snake in a commercial bait. I usually hear of the regular beaver/bobcat/mink etc. Interesting.

sportsman94

Never heard of somebody using snake in a commercial bait. I usually hear of the regular beaver/bobcat/mink etc. Interesting.

I think bad company is the name of Andy weisers. Don’t know if his stuff is still being produced or not. WD has a couple on his site

“ Wild Horse Mesa- We took the best Red Fox glands we could find, blended them with rattlesnake and added the highest grade ingredients to make this fine lure. It has been tested across the country with excellent results. Good for Coyotes, Red Fox, Gray Fox and Cats.

Brush Country- We aged Rattlesnake and Bobcat glands and then added the best quality oils and musks to get a top notch predator lure. Made for Cats, but very good change up for Coyotes and Gray Fox.”

Here’s two of the descriptions. He seems to have a lot of horse based Baits and lures as well as some rattlesnake ones. Heard nothing but good stuff about what he makes, but I’ve only been able to try a couple in a limited amount of sets

mossyoakpro

I think bad company is the name of Andy weisers. Don’t know if his stuff is still being produced or not. WD has a couple on his site

“ Wild Horse Mesa- We took the best Red Fox glands we could find, blended them with rattlesnake and added the highest grade ingredients to make this fine lure. It has been tested across the country with excellent results. Good for Coyotes, Red Fox, Gray Fox and Cats.

Brush Country- We aged Rattlesnake and Bobcat glands and then added the best quality oils and musks to get a top notch predator lure. Made for Cats, but very good change up for Coyotes and Gray Fox.”

Here’s two of the descriptions. He seems to have a lot of horse based Baits and lures as well as some rattlesnake ones. Heard nothing but good stuff about what he makes, but I’ve only been able to try a couple in a limited amount of sets

I have seen that Mesa in action...it works pretty good! Been trying to buy some for a couple of years and can't seem to catch it in stock. I worked for a nuisance guy a couple years back and we used the Mesa a lot with good results.

sportsman94

I have seen that Mesa in action...it works pretty good! Been trying to buy some for a couple of years and can't seem to catch it in stock. I worked for a nuisance guy a couple years back and we used the Mesa a lot with good results.

Good to hear. I’ve got some 1080 and gman coyote gland. Want to call and place an order for more of his stuff, but I’ll wait til closer to season I reckon. I do get nervous as some of these bait and lure makers get older they will stop producing/not sell recipes so their stuff will be discontinued. Makes me want to buy everything in bulk just in case

buckpasser

No visitors last night.

cj580guitar

I think I have some wild horse Mesa. I got from Wayne recently. I would be interested in knowing if they will eat a cottonmouth too. But my thinking is a coyote has too many other food choices around here rather than a nasty ole snake. I know out where Wayne lives it’s a dry barren desert and prolly not much to choose from out there for a coyote.

sportsman94

Do you have a trail cam or anything out to show that animals have come through and are avoiding/not interested in the snake? Or has nothing just come through?

buckpasser

I think you found your answer on the snake! Must be like a buzzard or coyote. Won’t nothing hardly eat them.

I’m not willing to concede defeat yet (even though this may be a horrible idea). I have very very few yotes and still haven’t seen a track there since adding the snake. I’ll call it off when he comes around the field edge and ignores it or doesn’t try to take it.

buckpasser

Well, mixed results. He came down the field edge last night. When he hit the set he went straight in and stuck his nose down the hole. It was as near a miss as I’ve ever had with a light print basically just over the pan. He didn’t however, retrieve the rotten snake.

I’m not sure if the results would have been different had he come by on night 1.