What is your go to coyote set?

buckpasser

5.75 INSIDE so laminating jaws is perfectly legal. But my big iron comment is geared more towards pan size so the 5.75 is self limiting in that regard. BTW the IL/OL 650 is Georgia legal. As are inside laminated #3.
Yes, inside the perimeter I use 450 size gear more for PR than anything else but there is always the what if. Besides I do about equal fox vs coyote.
With smaller gear position and guiding is everything.

Duke #3s are legal in standard form, by between a 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch, depending on which chinaman forged them.

Doug B.

Duke #3s are legal in standard form, by between a 1/16 and 1/8 of an inch, depending on which chinaman forged them.
Another member here (I won't say his name) pointed out to me that although the regulations do say 5.75, it also states #2 traps. I thank him for pointing that out and I will stick with the #2 AND the 5.75 requirements. Different LEO's might let it go either way, but you are not really gaining anything if you have to laminate a #3 to get 5.75" and I don't want a ticket either way. That is my take. YMMV.

buckpasser

Another member here (I won't say his name) pointed out to me that although the regulations do say 5.75, it also states #2 traps. I thank him for pointing that out and I will stick with the #2 AND the 5.75 requirements. Different LEO's might let it go either way, but you are not really gaining anything if you have to laminate a #3 to get 5.75" and I don't want a ticket either way. That is my take. YMMV.

There’s no doubt that the trapping regs need updating as they are somewhat contradictory. I was actually told by a member of DNR that the measurement was the official portion of the law. That makes the most sense as any manufacturer can call a trap anything they want. I could create a buckpasser coyote #2 that’s 9” inside spread. Whoever drafted those regs had no business writing it both ways!

buckpasser

This ought to clear it right up. Photographed right from the official state trapping regs page. Clear as mud.

54598C79-F050-4342-98B6-4050275CC371.jpeg:brick:facepalm::brick:facepalm:

buckpasser

I think I found the official law worded as such:

86DA743F-CCA5-4546-A41F-2C343ED28D38.jpeg

ScarFoot

A lot of trappers like a post set or a flat set or whatever. There is also a lot of different modifications to some sets. What is your most used set?

I try to keep it pretty simple. The reason for that is because I have tried some of the elaborate sets. Like a trench set for example. Now, I'm not knocking a trench set or any other kind of set for that matter because I know they WILL catch coyotes. But i have spent between 30 and 45 minutes setting a trench set, just trying to get every little detail perfect in my way of thinking. Only to come check it the next morning and have a silver fox! Or even worse, a coon! And it looks like a bomb has consploded all over my set. Now, I know some of y'all don't do remakes and that's fine, but I have caught a lot of coyotes in remakes. So, how do you do a trench remake from a consploded coon catch?
Same thing with a flat set that has made a catch. How do you make it a flat set remake after a catch.
I usually always make them into a dirt hole set. And actually I go ahead and make most of my sets a dirt hole to start with. I do like to change it up if I do more than one set at a given location though. My first set will usually be a dirt hole. Then I will change the other one to a flat set or a post set or even a compass set. But I guess my go to set would be a dirt hole set.

Sorry guys! I'm just trying to keep some discussion going here in the trapping forum cause it is the most interesting forum on the board. Humor me............please!

I use a drag and let them run off leaving my set largely intact. They don't get far.

furtaker

Yes, it's the inside measurement of 5.75 that counts. I use 650s inside laminated and they're legal.

Doug B.

Seems like everybody likes a dirt hole. And for good reason. There has been a lot of fur caught at them cause it seems like a natural happening to the predators.