What is your go to coyote set?

BTW, blinds are where the big traps shine otherwise I tend to stick to smaller with good guiding. If I trapped anywhere other than the city I go to all big iron for coyotes.

sportsman94

I’ve always used a little bit of everything flat sets dirt holes tbones. But after I took some private instruction this spring I was shown some other sets that I think will work a lot for me. Using drags will keep them from destroying the set location. So that’s my focus this year.

Who did you take private instruction with?

I’ve caught coyotes off of remakes also and fresh sets right next to catch circles but some traps need to be drags so to not disturb the original set. But everyone has their own ways of what works for them.

I love remake sets that just reek of coyote nastiness. No worries of blending in anything just rake it back into something resembling a dirt hole or flat. All I worry about is the trap bed and stake. That it is still solidly anchored and bedded hard.
The whole set is now lured.
It might spook some but most ain't that smart.

IMO, the only thing better than coyote stink would be tomcat stench. One reason I'm not opposed to snagging the occasional ditch tiger.

Doug B.

IMO, the only thing better than coyote stink would be tomcat stench. One reason I'm not opposed to snagging the occasional ditch tiger.
Or fox stank! But I have caught them after catching possums and coons too. I have even took some of the dirt to another set close by, that maybe hadn't caught anything, and sifted it on that set.

Yup, that stench is a natural draw even if one or two hang back you can target those with a second or third nearby "quiet" set with just a touch of mild bait or lure.
Trapping reds invariably the loud set nabs pop and pups but mama ain't having none of that.

willie1971

i'm no expert, but i swear by the flat set. looks totally natural if done right. out-performs anything else for me.

but my buddy only does dirt hole sets (on a different property) and kicks my butt in numbers. and he uses home-made baits and doesnt do any change ups. ha!

CritterCatcher

My favorite set for coyotes is finding a wash/dirt area between two tufts of broomsedge. I’ll plant a second tuft when I find a good spot with just one and I’ve been known to plant two tufts of grass when I’m feeling frisky. The tufts will ideally be situated about 8-12” apart from each other. I like to put the ears of the trap facing 12 and 6 on this set and bed it dead in the middle of the two pieces of grass. I put a bobcat gland lure on one side and another gland lure or something else on the other one. A **** can go on one of the levers if you have one handy. A helpful piece of advice that I never listen to on this set is to put it on a drag or something to let the animal get away from the set without damaging it. For me, it’s the set I have more confidence in than anything else
This is the set I call the Tweener set. Putting different smells on either side gets the animal moving his feet around, and he'll eventually hit the pan. It's deadly!

BTW, a drag is a must if you want to remake it.

There's good arguments for both one size fits all sets and having a varied assortment.
Were I a long liner hitting multiple properties and just skimming off the cream and leaving some for seed the advantage is to punch in the cookie cutter set and move on to the next one in the interest of time and labor. However, I'm a NWCO where every last one must go, especially the the smart one causing the trouble. That requires a deep bag of dirty tricks.
I'm still learning with every set I make.

I'm mostly a dirt hole guy as I think it's a high percentage set that hits all the cues, especially visual. Really draws in easy ones but a well crafted flat, in my experience, is the better draw for the shy ones. But that's just my experience, ymmv.

For what it's worth, I wish snares and collarums were an option for us Georgians as I like having as many options aka dirty tricks when dealing with problem critters.

buckpasser

This is a jam up thread. I appreciate all the posters showing up on the trapping forum lately. There’s nothing I like more than scanning through the opinions and techniques of experienced trappers. The internet was and still is my only teacher in trapping, so please keep it going.

sleepr71

I haven’t tried trapping furbearers (other than nuisance raccoons)yet,but have already gathered some great ideas + opinions in this thread? After calling Coyotes for a long time…I 100% agree with having a deep bag,of dirty tricks & not showing them all at once..?

Doug B.

BTW, blinds are where the big traps shine otherwise I tend to stick to smaller with good guiding. If I trapped anywhere other than the city I go to all big iron for coyotes.
I understand the logic behind your statement and I agree. I think though that in Georgia on land the limit on jaw spread is 5.75. So I'm guessing a #2 or similar size trap is what you are referring to when you say big iron? And if so, what do you use in the city? 1.75's? 1.5's?

5.75 INSIDE so laminating jaws is perfectly legal. But my big iron comment is geared more towards pan size so the 5.75 is self limiting in that regard. BTW the IL/OL 650 is Georgia legal. As are inside laminated #3.
Yes, inside the perimeter I use 450 size gear more for PR than anything else but there is always the what if. Besides I do about equal fox vs coyote.
With smaller gear position and guiding is everything.

Doug B.

5.75 INSIDE so laminating jaws is perfectly legal. But my big iron comment is geared more towards pan size so the 5.75 is self limiting in that regard. BTW the IL/OL 650 is Georgia legal. As are inside laminated #3.
Yes, inside the perimeter I use 450 size gear more for PR than anything else but there is always the what if. Besides I do about equal fox vs coyote.
With smaller gear position and guiding is everything.
Gotcha! I really wasn't thinking about larger laminated traps since you still end up with the same inside jaw spread. A larger pan would make a difference especially in a blind set.
I'm sure that trapping inside the city is a lot different. The general uneducated public would be hard to trap around.

Biggest thing in the city is keeping everything out of sight. Unmarked trucks, dress like any other service tech. Control the flow of information. Avoid rubberneckers and rule out risks before setting.
Two types of jobs. Total stealth mode or get the entire board signed on and onboard and willing to have your back. The latter won't ever happen so I go stealth only.