So why do you think coyotes are the reason your not seeing any deer?

Bob2010

Quote:

Originally Posted byCensoredBob2010

: (1)CensoredCheck/Add Feedback

CensoredCensored

Censored #7CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored

CensoredToday, 08:41 AM

Bob2010Censored

Censored

: (0)CensoredCheck/Add Feedback

Killed 3 while deer hunting last year. Scat and tracks everywhere. 2 large packs sound off every night. Fawn skeletons being found. Pup tracks with all big tracks. Awesome hunting for 10 years straight started declining 2 years when my freind across the hwy started coyote control. There hunting is great now. The yotes Moved home to me. I get they cover several miles when hunting but they come back to me to live. The few does left run in groups of 3 or 4 and will barley leave the thicket. When they do they are scared out of their minds. They are not hiding from hunters. They are hiding from yotes! We had a 4 point in a plot last year at dusk calmly feeding. Yote yipped a mile away and the deer went into a dead run to get out of dodge. The DNR won't fix it and people are stuck watching deer population decline on their property. We have 375 acres split between 3 members. After road maintenance, food plots, camp improvement, and lease we all put up at least $1600 each. Now we have to pay thousands to trapper? We could hunt a plantation somewhere and not do any work for that kind of money. So we have people thinking maybe the oaks didn't produce this year or hunters are shooting too many deer. Meanwhile coyotes are killing every Fawn on the property and running does. We better wake up and come together. I sat back and figured the slow decline was something temporary. Every plot we had 5 years ago would have 5 plus deer in every plot opening weekend. We just got skunked muzzle and gun. Neighbors are still hammering them. Just our track that desserted. Why? Plots are lush, creek is full, persimmons are loaded, oaks are dropping acorns. Hardly any deer sign and we didn't even have a deer blow at us. Not 1 deer in 4 days. We hunted oak draws, plots, persimmons, pines, and no deer. Just yote sign. No wonder people resort to crazy measures to try to control coyotes. Because people want to say it's not coyotes! It's hunters!. Or DNR says I don't know what to do? It's like everyone wants to put there hands over their ears and say LA LA LA LA la! Let's be in denial. Yotes will end deer hunting one day if something doesn't change. That is unless people are ok with hunting every weekend to kill or see 1 or 2 deer a season. Just want the yotes to make home on someone else's property. Not mine.

Bob2010

I have a feeling someone else out there agrees we have an issue here! Surely I am not alone. I am on a mission to destroy coyotes on my land. Let my neighbors wonder next year what happened to their deer? It's my turn I guess. I will push them elsewhere!

snookdoctor

Yotes and deer have been neighbors for a long time. Take out a yote if you have the chance, but don't go forming a mental illness over it. Yotes are not the main reason folks don't see deer.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Coyotes aren't the problem, hunter density and over harvest of does are the problem.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
There are a lot of factors and variables to each particular property and situation.

For instance last year there were practically no acorns in stephens county. I have a 15 acre bow hunting property sandwiched in between two subdivisions. There was one white oak that was dropping acorns. Almost every time I hunted it I saw the same 9 does. There were also 2 young bucks and a nocturnal mature buck using the same tree. That's more than double the deer I see there on a regular basis.
Fast forward to this year. There are acorns everywhere. Not only are the extra deer gone but there all gone. It dosent take long to grid 15 acres. No tracks, no droppings and no rubbed trees. The deer are somewhere else off the property.

I kill every yote I can but I don't believe they are the sole problem. Weve shot to many does "here" plus 5 plus years of summer drought plus fawn predation equals a lot less deer.

GTHunter007

Take deer hunters from the equation...deer population booms in 2 years. How can you blame the lack of deer on Coyotes then? Coyotes go where there is food. As with ALL predators, including humans. They wouldn't be somewhere if they didn't have food...so your not seeing deer is not the coyotes fault. It is yours.

GA DAWG

Yotes kill several a yr. To many Id say but deer hunters kill way way to many. Then look for other reasons to cry about our deer herd and lay the blame on other stuff like dnr,coyotes,loss of habitat. The hunters are whats happened. Unable to control that trigger finger.

shdybrady19

I agree that hunter density plays a role into the deer the population. But this weekend a guy did kill a yote because it was hot on a fawns tail chasing it. All predators are impacting the deer population, human and deer alike

Strickland1984a

No. I hunt the same place I have for my whole life. And only this place I know every corner of it and without a doubt the coyotes have killed the deer population. It's so bad. Your more likely to see a coyote track than a deer track and use to I would see at least 20 other hunters on opening weekend when this weekend I saw 3 or four so nobody can say over harvest . Everyone's so quick to blame hunters and says deer have always had predators ,but not coyotes in ga. Also there are several new articles in magazines and online about studies that big universities have done on coyotes impact on the deer herd. Uga ,South Carolina and others have recent results from thier studies and it backs us up 100 percent . My kids will have to hunt hogs and coyotes when they grow up because deer will be endangered by then if something is not done.hogs adapt and stick together more than deer that poor ole doe has one CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored of a task trying to raise a fawn in the south ga woods.

Strickland1984a

Yotes kill several a yr. To many Id say but deer hunters kill way way to many. Then look for other reasons to cry about our deer herd and lay the blame on other stuff like dnr,coyotes,loss of habitat. The hunters are whats happened. Unable to control that trigger finger.

Maybe in your area. But not mine. You cannot speak for no one but yourself and the woods you hunt. If you don't have a problem yet just wait and see you will !

Strickland1984a

Take deer hunters from the equation...deer population booms in 2 years. How can you blame the lack of deer on Coyotes then? Coyotes go where there is food. As with ALL predators, including humans. They wouldn't be somewhere if they didn't have food...so your not seeing deer is not the coyotes fault. It is yours.

We are complaining about not seeing as much or as often as we use to. I still kill my limit and always two nice bucks. But I get to hunt. Way more than most ppl do. I'm a seasoned vet who can hunt just as good as anybody .i know how and where to hunt but also know the impact these critters have had on my hunting area.you could also say take all the coyotes out of the equation and the deer population will boom so your argument means nothing just a hypothetical prediction

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
We are complaining about not seeing as much or as often as we use to. I still kill my limit and always two nice bucks. But I get to hunt. Way more than most ppl do. I'm a seasoned vet who can hunt just as good as anybody .i know how and where to hunt but also know the impact these critters have had on my hunting area.you could also say take all the coyotes out of the equation and the deer population will boom so your argument means nothing just a hypothetical prediction

How many acres do you hunt?

T.P.

Banned
I see lots of deer, if I hunt the greenfields I'll see 20+ a sit. If I hunt the bottoms I see 10 or more. I see lots of coyote tracks too. If I see them they get a free pass from me. I like 'em.

mauser64

Coyotes, bobcats, cougars, wolves, bears etc. and deer have coexisted for tens of thousands of years if not longer. Not until man came on the scene in significant numbers did the problems start. If the deer herd in your area is not to your liking look in the mirror then do something about it. The resource can be managed and there are plenty of sources of information out there to help get it done.

Tenpin

We had (perceived) issues with coyotes - scat on all our roads/trails, pawprints, daylight sightings, etc. We thought we had big problems the last few years.

This year though, no coyote sign whatsoever.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Quote:

Originally Posted byCensoredBob2010

: (1)CensoredCheck/Add Feedback

CensoredCensored

Censored #7CensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredCensored

CensoredToday, 08:41 AM

Bob2010Censored

Censored

: (0)CensoredCheck/Add Feedback

Killed 3 while deer hunting last year. Scat and tracks everywhere. 2 large packs sound off every night. Fawn skeletons being found. Pup tracks with all big tracks. Awesome hunting for 10 years straight started declining 2 years when my freind across the hwy started coyote control. There hunting is great now. The yotes Moved home to me. I get they cover several miles when hunting but they come back to me to live. The few does left run in groups of 3 or 4 and will barley leave the thicket. When they do they are scared out of their minds. They are not hiding from hunters. They are hiding from yotes! We had a 4 point in a plot last year at dusk calmly feeding. Yote yipped a mile away and the deer went into a dead run to get out of dodge. The DNR won't fix it and people are stuck watching deer population decline on their property. We have 375 acres split between 3 members. After road maintenance, food plots, camp improvement, and lease we all put up at least $1600 each. Now we have to pay thousands to trapper? We could hunt a plantation somewhere and not do any work for that kind of money. So we have people thinking maybe the oaks didn't produce this year or hunters are shooting too many deer. Meanwhile coyotes are killing every Fawn on the property and running does. We better wake up and come together. I sat back and figured the slow decline was something temporary. Every plot we had 5 years ago would have 5 plus deer in every plot opening weekend. We just got skunked muzzle and gun. Neighbors are still hammering them. Just our track that desserted. Why? Plots are lush, creek is full, persimmons are loaded, oaks are dropping acorns. Hardly any deer sign and we didn't even have a deer blow at us. Not 1 deer in 4 days. We hunted oak draws, plots, persimmons, pines, and no deer. Just yote sign. No wonder people resort to crazy measures to try to control coyotes. Because people want to say it's not coyotes! It's hunters!. Or DNR says I don't know what to do? It's like everyone wants to put there hands over their ears and say LA LA LA LA la! Let's be in denial. Yotes will end deer hunting one day if something doesn't change. That is unless people are ok with hunting every weekend to kill or see 1 or 2 deer a season. Just want the yotes to make home on someone else's property. Not mine.

What exactly do you think the DNR should do? Mash the coyote destruct button they have in the main office?

Coyotes will not end deer hunting. The early explorers of the southeast described a land teeming with many times more predators than we have now. Packs of wolves everywhere, panthers by the thousands, all of which ate deer. They also described a land teeming with deer. Deer and deer-eating predators have existed together for tens of thousands of years without the predators ever wiping the deer out. The trouble is combining natural predation with the most efficient, bloodthirsty, abundant predator on earth: hundreds of thousands of humans with rifles.

If anything ends deer hunting, it will be the same thing that ended it a couple hundred years ago: Us.

Greed for money wiped out the deer the first time. Greed for antlers is wiping them out this time. The concept of never shooting young bucks, but killing truckloads of does year after year after year for meat is not sustainable and goes against every principle of game management except for the ones that have big antlers as their ultimate goal-that's what's killing the deer population, in combination with the conversion of half the state to sterile pine forests.

Cross the river into SC, which is also infested with coyotes just as much as Georgia is, and there are still plenty of deer. Their regulations make a little more sense, though: no limit on antlered bucks-you can kill fifty a year if you want to. No stupid antler restrictions. But they control the doe harvest strictly, and the deer population shows that it works.

To bring back the deer population in overhunted areas, what has to happen is for people to change their way of thinking from the latest buck= sacred, doe=meat mindset. If everybody in an area quits shooting two or three or five does a year off every small lease, the population will rebound and become balanced again, and the coyotes will just take the excess.

Bob2010

Yotes and deer have been neighbors for a long time. Take out a yote if you have the chance, but don't go forming a mental illness over it. Yotes are not the main reason folks don't see deer.

16 hours last weekend with my 7 year old in my best shooting houses. He worked his tail off to shoot his new .243 accurately. Kept a good attitude and took great joy in his 8 year old buddy across the highway shot 2 and saw more every hunt. Smiled and never complained. These are stands that 5 years ago I would put a amigo from work up in. I had to only give them 2 bullets to guarantee they shot no more then 2 the first Time deer hunting. I have a serious mental issue with this. If I had a mental issue with it 2 years ago when I started noticing the issue the yotes would be on someone else's land right now instead of mine.

Bob2010

Coyotes aren't the problem, hunter density and over harvest of does are the problem.

50 percent yotes and 50 percent limits and doe harvest. Should be 100 percent limits and doe harvest. Yotes get like 80% of fawns. Probably more like 70 percent yotes and 30 percent hunters. Do you work for insurance companies by chance?

Latest posts