So why do you think coyotes are the reason your not seeing any deer?

DeoVindice

On our land the coyotes hunt everything, and more than once I have seen them stalking deer. I had one come up on my right while I was sitting on the ground, then he laid down behind a fallen tree about 10 yards away. All of a sudden a young doe came running down the hill to my left, then she blew and took off back the way she came. The yote stood up and started circling back up the hill behind me when I sent him to his eternal dirt nap. Pretty sure they were both oblivious to me being there. I know the coyote was. Just one instance where I have seen them stalking deer. I killed another one as he was stalking my uncle's beagle. They are only trying to eat and I have no malice or blame for them trying to survive, but I will shoot them. They kill a good many fawns. I don't put too much faith in studies, but according to some studies coyotes are the cause of 80% of all fawn deaths. That number sounds a bit high but I'm sure they do their share.

Bob2010

I wonder why mine get along so well together?

This pic could be 1 yote and 5 deer. If it was 5 yotes and 1 deer maybe that's different? If it was a fawn then it's very different. We have South Carolina property as well. I had seasoned rabbit guys come last year to run rabbits with us. First chase the guy says uh oh yote rabbits! A yote rabbit runs a straight line instead of circles. It will run straight a long ways and then find a hole. Dogs can't effectively hunt them. After the second chase they decided to leave. He said yotes are running your rabbits hard. They will destroy your rabbit population. I said that's terrible! He said well its great news for your deer. The yotes are killing the rabbits and leaving your deer alone. As long as you have thick cover call us next year or the following year. After rabbits are gone they will swap to deer and your rabbits will recover. We had good rabbit population last few years on the ga land. I guess yotes were in deer mode.

Dbender

More than once, I`ve watched out my front door in the field across the road as deer feed while a coyote worked the same filed for cotton rats and mice. Deer paid the coyote no mind. I`m in the our woods and swamps a lot, especially in turkey season. I almost never see any sign of deer kills.

Truth be known, coyotes probably help out ground nesting birds by killing and eating some of those predators that specialize in eggs.
I agree, I thought the pic might help change some opinions.

Dbender

You might need to change from sitting in the same box you and your buddies have sat in for years and educated the local deer herd. Here's another pic 2 on 1, deer isn't scared to death of a coyote. Why is the typical hunter with a high powered rifle scared of them?

Attachments

• PICT1152.jpg
    PICT1152.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 131

GA DAWG

Oh gosh. Thst one yote is looking at the deer.

Bob2010

You might need to change from sitting in the same box you and your buddies have sat in for years and educated the local deer herd. Here's another pic 2 on 1, deer isn't scared to death of a coyote. Why is the typical hunter with a high powered rifle scared of them?
:cheers:

so because of a photo you believe coyotes don't kill deer? This whole major universities saying 80% of fawns get eaten by yotes is not true?

GA DAWG

Because it's written in state law and DNR is required to follow state law.

O.C.G.A. § 27-3-15

The daily limit shall be ten antlerless deer and two antlered bucks. The season limit shall be ten antlerless deer and two antlered bucks. Only one antlered buck may have less than four points one inch or longer on one side of the antlers. Up to two deer per managed hunt may be allowed without complying with the state-wide bag limit.
Im sure the dnr had no say in how many deer we should be allowed. I guess these polititioners just came out of the blue and said. 10 doe and 2 bucks. So the dnr could say. Hey look it aint my fault. We going by state law.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Im sure the dnr had no say in how many deer we should be allowed. I guess these polititioners just came out of the blue and said. 10 doe and 2 bucks. So the dnr could say. Hey look it aint my fault. We going by state law.

The original bill introduced had different language, instead of "shall be" it was "shall be no more than".

glynr329

I do not think that Coyotes is the main cause of the decline it is humans. No doubt.....But 1 was killed chasing a small deer at the club Saturday and pretty sure they were not playing tag. Just a fact

JimmyD

Georgia has a very low fawn recruitment %. In fact it's much lower than area with much harsher climates. If it's not the coyote, what is it? I don't think hunters are killing too many fawns!! I do think the limit should be reduced, but something has to give on the fawns surviving to adulthood.... Our rate has dropped significantly in the last 10 years.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
If it's not the coyote, what is it? I don't think hunters are killing too many fawns!!.... Our rate has dropped significantly in the last 10 years.

At the meeting for the new plan, the biologist told the group about a study where aggressively removing yotes had a big impact on recruitment rate at one WMA, but no impact on another just a few miles away. Since they know a heck of a lot more about this than I do, I trust them when they say coyotes are not the only problem.

While I am certain yotes kill some deer, I also know I have seen a lot more dead 50# deer in the back of pickup trucks than anywhere else. I don't think the limit is the only problem, it's the abundance of opportunity. If a person wants to shoot a bunch of deer, he has 3.5 months to get it done. There are plenty of hunters out there who don't discriminate when pulling the trigger.

southerndraw

are they eating a fawn?

southerndraw

Lower the limit, get predator numbers in check and shorten centerfire rifle season.