So, you wanna be a turkey hunter...

Ricochet

Great thread - I was self taught my first 4 years and I did my first guided hunt last year and learned a few things and experienced my first spitting and drumming at close range. Man was that cool! I was to the point I wanted to see what else I could learn first hand. I welcome the chance to hunt with others more experienced than me. It's always a learning experience in the turkey woods and there is a lot to be learned in this forum as well - there are some good folks here for sure!

huntindawg

So, about this private land you mentioned that has birds on it?????

Kooter

Banned
feel free to pm me with any request for advice, tips, or strategies. I run a guide service out a friends farm in jasper county, i would be more than happy to work something out for a hands on turkey hunt/combo. Pm me if interested for advice or guidance on how to kill your first gobbler/jake.

ryanwhit

feel free to pm me with any request for advice, tips, or strategies. I run a guide service out a friends farm in jasper county, i would be more than happy to work something out for a hands on turkey hunt/combo. Pm me if interested for advice or guidance on how to kill your first gobbler/jake.

Thanks kooter:rolleyes:

You still driving that green yota?

ryanwhit

Oh, one more thing guys...

It seems every year about this time we get some new members that show up and start threads about decoys, long shots, blinds, shooting jakes, etc...you know, all of the topics that are sure to start debates. They post of morning outings where they shoot the season limit worth of jakes, and then take their buddies back for more. They recommend using multiple strutting decoys on public land. Again, it is your responsibility to identify and then ignore the advice of these posters. Don't worry, they'll be gone shortly...they always are.

PS - one may have already posted on this thread ;)

Last edited:

Kooter

Banned
I drive a 2009 f150 4 door fx4. I Bought it at Akins just up the road from ya actually. I actually did have a burgundy toyota tundra from 07-08 but i traded it in for the Ford. sorry if i messed up your thread with the truck topic i guess i dont catch the connotation from your post about the toyota?:huh:

Back to the thread-- Maybe we can start a thread listing different general scenarios and how to go about handing-- ex: a bird hung up in a field, a bird with a lot of hens, etc.

I will be more than happy to share my advice and have it openly posted for critiquing and double checking...."No matter how many turkeys we have killed we will never know everything there is to know about turkey hunting." - Charlie Elliott (well it was something like that :D) So in other words, even the teachers are still learning and may even learn from the students at times! March 26th lock and load!!!

ryanwhit

lol! that's pretty funny.

Me and Brian would always talk about optional commas and proper usage of semicolons. and Bill Elliot.

Remember, never use some long, big word when a diminutive one will do.

arkie1

my advice would be sit as still as you can as long as you can, then when you are ready to get up make your self sit for 30 more minutes. that advice has helped me kill several birds that would have lived otherwise.

Jellyhead Joe

This is a great thread. As said earlier, it needs to be posted as sticky in order to keep it at the top for new members.