Spinal decompression treatment?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
So, I started having some major back pain a few years ago. I've been to orthopedic Dr, pain management Dr, and several chiropractors since. I've had 9 cortisone shots in my spine and 2 nerve ablations. Spent several thousands of dollars in the process. I've put my family in a financially tight spot seeking relief, yet I'm still spending everyday in terrible pain. I just visited a new chiropractor in my area and he recommended spinal decompression treatment. I was all excited of the possibility of a new treatment that no one has recommended, until he pulled out the financial part of it. $200/visit with a total of 24 visits for this plan, so $4800, once that is done he recommends a once a month maintenance visit so basically $2400/year after the fact. None of this treatment is covered by insurance, so it's out of pocket cost and doesn't go towards my deductible or anything. Has anyone paid the money for the treatment and glad they did? I'm to the point of being miserable and feeling like the healthcare system doesn't want me better, they just want to keep taking money.

sinclair1

Matt, I presume you have tried the inversion. Are you positive it’s your spine. I have had back trouble for a few years. It’s debilitating when it’s at
It’s worse.
Does your back feel like a section is about to pop out?

It turns out after thinking for several years it was the spine, that I have a Bosniac cyst on my kidney that could be causing my pain. It’s all they found during Scan.

I can walk around, but things like getting out of bed hurt like crazy until I am up. I can even lift stuff, but left me try and get off the floor and it hurts.

GeorgiaBob

With the time, effort, and money you have spent to date, I am assuming you have seen the orthopedic docs, had the tests, scans, Xrays, and all the other stuff the experts have told you was necessary. So I'll assume you are looking now for non-standard alternatives for pain relief and improved function.

My situation is not nearly as difficult as yours seems to be, but there are a few similarities. I have a vertebra in my lower back that is twisted (whether ruptured/compressed discs were the cause or the result is unknown) and is causing occasional inflammation of the nerve sheath. That, plus arthritis, leaves me with chronic lower back pain, sciatica, even "muscle" pains as my trunk tries to compensate.

I could have ortho surgeons fuse my lower back, but that severely reduces mobility and might not eliminate the pain. Instead, I visited a chiropractor, on my ortho doc's advice, and did get some temporary relief. Emphasis on temporary. The chiropractor insisted on regular Xrays (in his office), more detailed scans (in coordination with the ortho doc) annually, and visits every two weeks. I understand your concerns about cost.

What I discovered is that a massage therapist is perfectly capable of providing the same "manipulation" of my lower back that a chiropractor can do for less than a third the price. In consultation with my orthopedic doc, I ditched the chiropractor and just schedule a massage when I need the relief. Without the added expenses of Xrays, and a more flexible schedule, massages are working out and very inexpensive. I am also taking a relatively low dose of a pretty strong pain med on an "as needed" Rx, with my doc fully aware that it will be needed more days than not!

Finding a skilled and experienced massage therapist is the most difficult part. A hack massage might do more harm than good. Check with your doctors and if they think manual manipulation of your spine might be helpful and also low risk, find a good massage therapist and schedule a few regular appointments. If it helps, great. If not, it won't be terribly expensive! Good luck.

Hillbilly stalker

I have had the spinal decompression therapy. The cost was no where near the price of what you were quoted . I have Blue cross Blue shield standard and mine paid for the treatment minus the co pay. It did seem to help, but the visits were always an aggravation. I went and bought a good inversion table and used it religiously. It really helped. I had degenerated discs disease and arthritis real bad in my lumbar. I would be in the the floor for a week at a time when I was going thru an episode, even as a young man. I had several Neurosurgeons and one orthopedic surgeon examine me, they told me I was too young for surgery. The table really helped me out and kept me going until I found the correct surgeon. He looked at my MRI and said “ I can help you”. He fused L4,L5 and S1. I would do it again tonight if I needed it. I am pain free and don’t even take an aspirin. The therapy did help, but I would shop around, that price sounds ridiculously high. If you buy an inversion table, buy a good one. You do not have to hang upside down like Mr. Teeter to get relief. A slight angle will take the load off your spine. First thing in the morning for about 2 minutes,,,and then as often as you need or want during the day. Everyone’s back problem is different, the therapy or table is treating the symptoms not the problem….but it gives a lot of people immediate relief and delays going under the knife. Check Craigslist for the tables, after people have had surgery, they sell them at good prices. I’ve had a degree adjustment on the side of mine. No way I would trust one that used a nylon strap for an adjustment .

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Yes, I have seen an orthopedic spine Dr. He is the one that did the first 5 or so cortisone injections, and then basically gave up and sent me to a pain management Dr, who did the other few cortisone shots and nerv ablations. I've had several mri's and x-rays. I have a bad disc in my L5, along with degenerate disc disease arthritis and spinal Stenosis. I also have the same issues with my L1 but don't think it's as problematic as the L5. For the past 3 years, I can count on one hand the number of pain free days I've had, the daily pain is rough, but I can push through it, the worst part. About 1-2 times a year I have what I call is a flare up, and it basically takes me offy feet for about a week solid and then another week or two of really bad pain until it's manageable again. Right now is one of those flare ups, I'm struggling to get through the day at work, only to rush home and lay in the bed. On another note, due to other health issues I can no longer take steroids or nsaids, so I'm basically limited to Tylenol which is useless. I have not tried the inversion table, but I did recently find an at home decompression table on Amazon for about $150. I'm tempted to give it a try. @Hillbilly stalker my Dr. Told me the same thing, I'm to young for surgery.

Hillbilly stalker

I had those shots, 4 or 5 times, often on both sides of the spine. The first one lasted me for 2 plus years. They seemed to help less and less. No way I would let an Orthopedic surgeon work on me. If you go by Academy Outdoors or Dicks sporting goods, you can get a good look at the inversion tables before you buy one. Their not much more that a teeter totter….but pick out a sturdy one. I wish you well bud, I’ve been there and wouldn’t wish it on anybody. Good luck.

Mars

I feel for you. I've got some neck issues and have had a couple surgeries before I was 35 so I can relate. I definitely understand that feeling of rushing just to get to relax. I'll pray for you.

tr21

I had the exact same thing you have started around 2008. mine would flare up for 2-3 months at a time. finally around 2012 I couldn't take it any more, and I have a extreme tolerance for pain. went to a back cracker for a few weeks and was unable to work after he couldn't relieve my pain he sent me to a surgeon in Seneca, SC. he did the surgery opening up my vertebrate and the next morning I was in no pain. its been over 10yrs and I will rarely get aches but it is tolerable. man I would hurt like Chipper Jones took a home run swing on my rear, someone jabbed a ice pick through my ankle and i'd gotten a injection of ghost pepper extract into my calf, that has all stopped since my surgery...... !

tr21

y
I had those shots, 4 or 5 times, often on both sides of the spine. The first one lasted me for 2 plus years. They seemed to help less and less. No way I would let an Orthopedic surgeon work on me. If you go by Academy Outdoors or Dicks sporting goods, you can get a good look at the inversion tables before you buy one. Their not much more that a teeter totter….but pick out a sturdy one. I wish you well bud, I’ve been there and wouldn’t wish it on anybody. Good luck.
yours aint bad then ! I walked into his office, he said it would take 45 minutes and I bent over the table and said get to it. But he couldn't touch me because I had 2 stents installed and had to wait 6 months to come off the blood thinners, it was the longest 6 months of my life. If I had to do it again I would in a heartbeat !!!!!

Hillbilly stalker

It was bad enough for 2 rods, 6 screws and 2 cadges. Like I said…everybody’s back problem is different.467B594D-8FD7-4A07-B482-5B98A87036E8.jpegB88D2704-8A0B-4CCF-B50F-2F1E545F2AEE.jpeg

sinclair1

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Yes, I have seen an orthopedic spine Dr. He is the one that did the first 5 or so cortisone injections, and then basically gave up and sent me to a pain management Dr, who did the other few cortisone shots and nerv ablations. I've had several mri's and x-rays. I have a bad disc in my L5, along with degenerate disc disease arthritis and spinal Stenosis. I also have the same issues with my L1 but don't think it's as problematic as the L5. For the past 3 years, I can count on one hand the number of pain free days I've had, the daily pain is rough, but I can push through it, the worst part. About 1-2 times a year I have what I call is a flare up, and it basically takes me offy feet for about a week solid and then another week or two of really bad pain until it's manageable again. Right now is one of those flare ups, I'm struggling to get through the day at work, only to rush home and lay in the bed. On another note, due to other health issues I can no longer take steroids or nsaids, so I'm basically limited to Tylenol which is useless. I have not tried the inversion table, but I did recently find an at home decompression table on Amazon for about $150. I'm tempted to give it a try. @Hillbilly stalker my Dr. Told me the same thing, I'm to young for surgery.
Wow, I hate you’re going thru that. One thing that I want to mention about flares. I have RA that I control without medicine. One thing that causes flares for many illnesses is hydration issues.
Do you make sure you drink the proper water each day? Most people drink zero water daily. We are mostly water and most joint/Cartledge related issues come from lack of hydration.

I hope you find a solution soon

basstrkr

As stated everybody's back situation is different. But I know a man that took a lot of cortisone/steroid shots and when he finally gave in to surgery his bones were so soft it would not fuse/hold.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
Brain, neck or back....neurosurgeon only.

I've got 3 herniated thoracic discs, bulding l4-S1 and SI joint is gone. It sucks.

I'm 48 and hope to avoid surgery forever hopefully.
So are you just struggling through the pain?

Hillbilly stalker

well if you wouldn't let a orthopedic surgeon work on you, who did that ?
Neurosurgeon, everyone I spoke with that had a back surgery with a Orthopedic suffered continuously. I thank the man upstairs for my surgery, I can hunt, fish and walk for miles and do most everything I done before the surgery. Pain free.

tr21

Neurosurgeon, everyone I spoke with that had a back surgery with a Orthopedic suffered continuously. I thank the man upstairs for my surgery, I can hunt, fish and walk for miles and do most everything I done before the surgery. Pain free.
had to look your right mine was a neurosurgeon also !