Squash Pickles

Shadow11

Decided to try my hand at making some squash pickles. My mom made some a long time ago using this recipe from an old church cook book they made one time.

I remember this old lady that put this one in there. She passed several years ago. She grew up in the nega mountains, along with my granny and them.

They ate a lot of soup beans and cornbread back then, especially in the winter. They always had some chow chow, squash pickles, canned peppers, or something else pickled like that, to eat with it. Those old ladies were masters at it!

Anyway, I made tried making a couple batches of it the last couple weeks. Still getting plenty of squash from the garden. I made the 1st batch about the same as recipe, except I added some turmeric. Turned out very good.

The second batch, which is in the photos, I added a little more salt and more of the spices, along with black pepper, to give it a little more kick. Also very good.

Ended up with 12 small jars. Gonna be some fine eatn with some good old timey soup beans and cornbread this winter! I tried some on a pulled pork bbq sandwich the other day. Very good also!

Screenshot_2021-08-03-09-17-42.pngScreenshot_2021-08-01-04-18-52.pngScreenshot_2021-08-01-04-17-59.pngScreenshot_2021-08-01-04-16-15.pngScreenshot_2021-08-01-04-14-47.pngScreenshot_2021-07-28-19-27-54.png

mrs. hornet22

Beach Dreamer
Those are gonna be GOOD! We did a jar of zucchini one time and wished we had done a lot more. YUM!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I may give this a try , thanks for sharing ! Is the recipe for 6 pint jars ? Also how long did you boil them after packing jars , thanks

Shadow11

I may give this a try , thanks for sharing ! Is the recipe for 6 pint jars ? Also how long did you boil them after packing jars , thanks

Sorry for just now replying. Been busy and just now got back in here. I did it slightly different than ladies did, I think. I packed the raw squash, peppers, and onions in the jars. I had the jars in the sink with a couple inches of hot water. I boiled all the other ingredients and then poured into the jars of squash. Then, I boiled the jars in the bath for about 15 minutes.

What I had cut up in the pic would have probably made about 10 of those small jars, but I only had 6 here at the house. I ended putting what was left in some soup.

I think some people boil the squash and stuff in the vinegar/spice mix before packing into jars.

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sorry for just now replying. Been busy and just now got back in here. I did it slightly different than ladies did, I think. I packed the raw squash, peppers, and onions in the jars. I had the jars in the sink with a couple inches of hot water. I boiled all the other ingredients and then poured into the jars of squash. Then, I boiled the jars in the bath for about 15 minutes.

What I had cut up in the pic would have probably made about 10 of those small jars, but I only had 6 here at the house. I ended putting what was left in some soup.

I think some people boil the squash and stuff in the vinegar/spice mix before packing into jars.
Thanks , I haven’t done it yet ! Been busy myself , I got all the ingredients and still plenty of squash . This heat sure slowed them down though