Stolen Guns recovered

weagle

Sorry for the long post, but hopefully it will be helpful to some fellow GON members who, like me, have had guns or other property stolen.

Back in October of last year several guns including a Beretta Silver Pigeon 28ga over under were stolen from my truck at work. I knew the chances of ever recovering them were slim, but I wanted to make sure I did everything possible to try to recover them. I wanted to pass along a few things that so far have led to the recovery of 2 out of the 3.

First I immediately reported the guns stolen to the local police and made sure to include as much info about them as possible in the report. Obviously I included the serial numbers, but more importantly, I followed up a few weeks later to make sure they were reported to the NICS data base as stolen. Come to find out that 2 out of the 3 serial numbers were keyed in wrong. I sent a letter and email to the investigator and followed up later to make sure the guns were properly registered as stolen.

Second, I posted on this web site and several others that the guns were stolen along with descriptions.

And finally I began searching the popular "for sale" forums like GON Marketplace and Outdoors Trader for my guns.

In February, I got a call from a local Sheriff's office that they had recovered one of my guns. They had served an unrelated warrant on a parolee and when they discovered the gun in his possession they ran the serial numbers and got a hit on the NICS database. It was one of the guns that was originally entered wrong and had I not sent the correction, it would be sitting in the S.O. property room until they disposed of it.

I continued searching the "for sale" forums for my other guns. Be sure to use the search function to narrow your search but don't be too specific, because you don't how a gun might be listed. For instance I would search on "beretta" and just look at the most recent listings. I would do this about once a week and it only takes a few seconds to check.

The day before yesterday, I searched "beretta" on the GON Marketplace and what pops up but a 28ga Beretta Silver Pigeon I 30" barrels, 2 chokes No box. $1600 and it's in the same part of the state my guns were stolen from. I sent an Inquiry to the seller requesting more details and he sent me the crucial info: His Contact name, phone number and email and he even sent me the serial number which was a match. Bingo!

Called the investigator, forwarded the email reply from the seller and today they handed me back my shotgun :banana:

I felt pretty sure the guy selling it had no idea it was stolen as he probably wouldn't have listed it on a public forum and he surely wouldn't have sent me the serial number. I feel bad for him, because what he thought was a great purchase ended up just costing him money. He provided the name and number of the guy he bought it from and the investigator was able to track it back through 2 more sellers. It had changed hands at least 3 times after the initial theft.

So for you guys out there who have had guns stolen, keep trying. You make be able to recover them. And for you guys who like to buy and trade guns like I do, be very careful if you are buying from a stranger. He may be 2 or three owners removed from a theft, but if the gun you buy turns up stolen you will out of your money and the gun.

Dr. Strangelove

Good info and I'm glad you got some of your guns back.

It sure does help to run numbers on guns when you get them im glad you got 2 of the three back maybe you will get the 3rd one

PappyHoel

Good story. Write all serial numbers down, take pictures and even film yourself with them for insurance purposes. Then store in a safe place. Hope you get the last one back.

weagle

Good story. Write all serial numbers down, take pictures and even film yourself with them for insurance purposes. Then store in a safe place. Hope you get the last one back.

An interesting note: The seller had posted some fairly good pictures and I was able to match up the grain in the butt stock, like a finger print to a picture I had of the gun. I was 100% positive it was my gun even before I had the serial number to confirm it.

T-N-T

That is crazy you saw it on the net for sale! Good police work weagle!

Headshot

Congratulations on you getting two of your guns back. Good info on how to protect your property (pictures, detailed descriptions, serial numbers) and how your persistence has paid off.

As has already been noted, write down your serial numbers and store them in a safe place. A while back I cleaned 5 firearms for a friend at work. His dad had passed away and left them to him, and I figured to help him out. Shortly afterwards, they were all stolen from his residence, and he never wrote down the serial #'s. Hard lesson to learn. Glad you got yours back weagle.

kracker

Gone, but not Forgotten
Glad you got 2 of the 3 back so far. Let's hope for 100%. I need to keep better info on the few I've bought off internet sites.

weagle

Thanks. The last one to recover is a Marlin XS 7 ,223 and to be quite honest, I haven't spent much effort searching for it. The Beretta and the Remington 5mm mag were the ones I was sick over, so I spent most of my time looking for them.. They were also the most unique so I figured I would have a better chance of finding them. One of the first things I did was go around to all the local gun shops and ask them to give me a heads up if anyone came in looking for 5mm rem mag ammo or 28ga shells. Sort of unusual items for most small gun stores and pawn shops.

Mostly I had some good luck, but it wouldn't have happened if I hadn't kept following up on all avenues.

Dr. Strangelove

One thing thing to consider is putting the pictures, serial numbers, etc. on a USB drive or in the cloud. For those who don't trust the cloud, password protect your USB drive and store it in a safe deposit box or at a friend or family member's house.

Big7

The Oracle
Glad you got them back!

As a side note:

Take pictures, record EVERYTHING you can think of
obviously the serial # + make, model, year and place of purchase but pictures are worth a thousand
words when you trying to splain' the value to your INSURANCE
and the Po Po! If you can't find them at least you can replace them unless it's a family heirloom.
Money only goes so far, but it does help!

godogs57

Proud for you! I lost my beloved Jarrett rifle a year and a half ago and went through the same process you did...even posted pics of the rifle on this forum....ain't heard a peep about it.

buckeroo

Wow. Thanks for posting. I get super paranoid in the rare case I have to leave any of my guns in my vehicle. I have one or two that I would just DIE if were ever stolen. Glad you are getting some of them back!

lonewolf247

That's awesome news! Your hard work and persistence payed off!

Thanks for the pointers and heads up on this. I need to keep better records of mine, and have better ideas of what to do now. Thanks

Latest posts