Stupid is as stupid does.......

GAHUNTER60

...So I must be pretty stupid.

Today I went to the range to shoot my son's 1911, my personal Glock 20, and my daughter-in-law's Taurus PT 709 Slim in 9mm. I used a two-handed grip on the full-sized .45 ACP and shot great. Then did the same with the big 10mm, with the same good result. Then I picked up the little micro nine........

Using the same two-handed grip, I put a full magazine downrange. When the last shot was fired, I pressed the magazine release and proceeded to reload the one and only mag I had with me. That's when I noticed a little blood dripping off my left thumb knuckle.

"I wonder how that happened," I thought to myself, finally coming to the conclusion that I had skinned it when I was digging in my tote bag for ammo. So when I was through stuffing rounds in the little single-stack magazine, I chambered a round, took aim with the same two-handed grip (so I thought), and let one fly.

Yeowee!!!!

This time it became obvious why there was blood on my knuckle earlier, because, now, where there had been a slight scrape, there was a gash dang near to the bone -- and it hurt!

As blood rolled down my hand and onto the floor, all I could think about was how stupid I must look to the other shooters on the line, and how stupid I must actually be to allow myself to become victim of such a rookie mistake. I know better than to place my fingers anywhere close to a autoloader's slide. I should have known that my support hand was dangerously close to the slide from the earlier nick.

A doctor who happened to be shooting with his family had a look and said that even though the cut was deep, it was razor-blade thin, and that I could probably get along without stitches if I cleaned it up good with peroxide and bandaged it up tight. So I put a band-aid on it provided by the range master, packed up my stuff, and headed for the house -- where I soaked it in peroxide and bandaged it up with gauze and tape.

The moral of this story is keep your dang hand out of the way of your slide, especially on those cute little guns. Like little dogs, they bite surprisingly hard!

Oldstick

First time I shot my "new" Super Black Hawk in 44 mag, I was resting my hands on top of of a concrete shooting bench. My right hand pinkie was loosely underneath the butt of the pistol as I was accustomed to do.

No bleeding, but the pinkie turned blue and numb from the hammer blow of the recoil against the concrete. Lesson learned.... :rofl:

Anvil Head

Never too old to learn something stupid....... (matter of fact it seems to be getting easier).

Bill Mc

That's called, "getting a diploma"

Lukikus2

I've yet to get my diploma and hope I don't but watched my Dad get his with a PPK one day. Ouch!

GAHUNTER60

Drop a bit of super glue on it if it continues to bust open.

I've used super glue on my hand cuts that would have had a lot of problems sealing up on their own without stitches.. knuckle skin stretches and pops it back open. The glue will fall off like a bandaid as it heals.

Thanks. If it opens up I'll give it a try.

GAHUNTER60

Zoom in and you can see how deep it was (and still is). Hard to believe an autoloader slide could bite so hard!

tv_racin_fan

What sort of grip nets a slide bite cut like that? Is that the "weak" hand?

GAHUNTER60

Yes, that's the weak hand. It's the same grip I've used on my big pistols for years. Obviously, it doesn't work on the micro-sized carry pistols.

tv_racin_fan

Ouch!

NO offense meant sir. Appears to me that you had your weak hand thumb around the back of the firearm. That is fine with a revolver but bad idea around a semi auto.

I suggest you practice and adopt what is known as the thumbs forward grip.

GAHUNTER60

None taken. It's obvious my grip was "wrong," otherwise I wouldn't have left so much blood splatter on the floor at Bullseye.

I've been wondering if someone seeing the mess called the Forsyth County Police to investigate the obvious homicide that took place on the firing line.

GAHUNTER60

Here's the hold that caused all the trouble. As Bill Dance says in all those Bass Pro Shops ads, "Don't do that!"

Here's the hold I use now after going to "school" on how not to hold a pistol:

BTW: The dog in the foreground survived the shooting quite nicely and is presently laying on my feet waiting for a treat!