Swedish M96 mauser questions

JR924

Looking at buying a swedish mauser M96 made by Carl Gustaf. One I am looking at does not have a manufacturer date stamped on top of reciever between the barrel and the chamber. The other I have looked at do. The serial number is 419547. Wondering if you could identify the date it was manufactured and why it is not date stamped Was wondering if it was reworked later in its life. The manufacturer name is on it, just not the date. Please advise.

Bobby Bigtime

That serial number puts it in the 1916 range. If you like the rifle, it is sound condition and you are ok with the price then go for it! They really didn't make any bad ones. If collector value is a concern that may make a bit of a difference.

Big7

The Oracle
I had one for a while.
It was a Gustaf too.
Wish I had kept it but most components didn't match anything else I had so it didn't get shot that much.

They are inherently accurate rifles.
Cartridge ballistics are about the same as a Creedmore.

Bobby Bigtime

I have owned about eight or so that is the reason I remembered the serial number range. I was never one to collect, so I am simply an admirer of these rifles. two were stolen by some puke stick the others I foolishly let go. I still have an orbendorf we all love for antelope. If the serial numbers match you can't go wrong. I once saw one of a friend's swede that was a total mismatch of numbers that was scary accurate. That is why I believe there really aren't any bad ones. My experience is they shoot everything from 120 to 160 grain bullets very well which makes them guite versatile.

JR924

Thanks guys, what would maximum would you pay for one like that with a good bore and a stock with some scratches and scrapes (overall good condition)??

JR924

I was thinking $700. The prices on Gunbroker are all over the map ($400 to $1100) and cannot figure out why the large range in prices paid.

Last edited:

JR924

The listing said barrel was "good". This is a picture of the barrel. Does it look good to you.

Attachments

• barrel picrture.jpg
    barrel picrture.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 16

JR924

Ok, got the M96 for $680. I stayed in the range suggested but unfortunately after adding in shipping, fees and taxes it was more like $810. Never was smart with money. But it is done and will be my last gun for some time as I quit my part time job I was using to buy the guns and ammo. I now have to go back under my wife's (generous as she calls it) allowance.

On this auction, I had a bidder use the 15 minute rule 3 times just adding the minimum bid increase increment with each bid. He just incremented his bid and then just waited till a few minutes remaining in the auction to bid another increment even though it still showed him losing the bid each time he bid. Thought it would go on all night. This was aggravating each time when I thought the auction time was up and checked. Guess it is a bidding strategy but I hate it. But I could not keep myself from following the auction closely even though my original bid was never increased. Finally I can go back to watching College Football.

Thanks again for you guys that posted replies. Was very helpful.

mwood1985

I have 3 6.5x55 mauser actions that are old 50s and 60s sporters and a 1916 Carl Gustav myself. The round is very good for deer and hogs. Haven't tried it on black bear bear yet. But Scandinavian hunters use it for a wildly popular moose cartridge. Keep in mind commercial loadings are a little anemic. Designed for 100 year old rifles. If you have a modern 6.5x55 then handloading can make it even better.

Last edited: