Tacticam Reveal X Question

frankwright

I am not sure why I don't get more pictures.
My buddy took his two little grand kids to see a coon in a trap.
They were around my camera for 10 or 15 minutes. I got one picture.
Delay is set to 1 minute.
Anybody know why!

buckpasser

I am not sure why I don't get more pictures.
My buddy took his two little grand kids to see a coon in a trap.
They were around my camera for 10 or 15 minutes. I got one picture.
Delay is set to 1 minute.
Anybody know why!

I don’t know, but the first question always seems to be “what SD card are you using?”

They fixed my buddy’s cam yesterday by swapping the card and formatting.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I don’t know, but the first question always seems to be “what SD card are you using?”

They fixed my buddy’s cam yesterday by swapping the card and formatting.
This
You have to use the exact SD card they recommend. I couldn’t find locally. I ordered one from eBay

sghoghunter

This
You have to use the exact SD card they recommend. I couldn’t find locally. I ordered one from eBay

When I started using them a few yrs ago the card they recommended was a Sandisc extreme so I bought a handful and they worked good for a while but then I was told that they were experiencing problems with those cards and now they recommend the extreme pros. I’ve got them now and wonder what card will replace the pro

frankwright

Not a Tacticam card but a high quality card that I reformatted.

Attachments

• 49a7ad6c-8291-4d8f-b518-3d3633dc6524.jpg
    49a7ad6c-8291-4d8f-b518-3d3633dc6524.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 63

sghoghunter

Not a Tacticam card but a high quality card that I reformatted.

Get yourself a Sandisc extreme pro 32 gb class10 U3. Also if Tactacam was to see your picture they would say tilt it down some. They say make an imaginary line across the center of the screen and make the trigger area be on that line.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.jpeg
    IMG_1065.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 29

cowhornedspike

Taking a lot of pics of the sky the way that one is aimed. As already said, these are real picky about SD cards and aiming properly. A "high quality" card probably does not meet the requirements.

BUCKFAT

I run Tactacam and use the sandisk extreme pro and have never had sd card issues or missed images. The image that was posted is aimed high. It is best to us the redline to set up the camera. The lower 1/3 of the image is less sensitive. They designed it this way to cut down on false triggers.

sghoghunter

I run Tactacam and use the sandisk extreme pro and have never had sd card issues or missed images. The image that was posted is aimed high. It is best to us the redline to set up the camera. The lower 1/3 of the image is less sensitive. They designed it this way to cut down on false triggers.

No card issues isn’t to hard to believe but no missed images is like saying black panthers are real. I have a Tactacam and a covert on the same tree right now and you would be very surprised at the number of pictures they miss.

frankwright

I am hunting there this morning. I will lower it.
I do believe I do have the Sandisc Extreme 32 in there.
Thanks for the help.

dkennedy

Over the last few years of running 6 Tactacams. Any time I've had a camera issue it's always been a card problem. Put in a new card especially one from Tactacam problem solved

Worley

Sandisk Ultra Exteme 32gb Class 10 U3 , problem solved. Make sure you have latest firmware updates on your SD card as well.

buckmanmike

I have several Tactacams. I get good service from them. I run the advised SD cards, but seems Tactacam is putting the blame on cards. Maybe it's their software.
I used 2 Tactacams as only trail cams and put any old SD cards in them. They work fine.

sghoghunter

I have several Tactacams. I get good service from them. I run the advised SD cards, but seems Tactacam is putting the blame on cards. Maybe it's their software.
I used 2 Tactacams as only trail cams and put any old SD cards in them. They work fine.

I have used Covert cell cameras for going on close to 10 yrs and I never had to put a certain brand of size card in them and they worked with very few problems. I have one of the original Reveals that will work for a couple weeks good then I have to swap cards out. I swapped the card thanksgiving week and it’s already stopped working

basshappy

BANNED
I don't have a Tactacam camera. But man I fail to understand how the memory card brand could possibly cause the camera to not function correctly. And this is with 30 years in data forensics and cybercrime investigations.

A storage device, in this case a SD card, is just that. It exists to store data. The card is initialized with a file system type, and the FS TYPE must be recognized by the operating system or the technology device in which the card is seated (trail camera). I strongly recommend using the technology device to "format" the memory card. This "guarantees" the device will properly write to the memory card. A computer may initialize an unsupported FS TYPE or set parameters to a supported FS TYPE that the technology device cannot interpret.

Using a fast speed class SD card is needed so that the data may be written with integrity when seated in trail cameras (more so for video than still images).

So ... I call bogus on the BRAND of SD card being the culprit. I think the issue lies within the firmware and sensors in the Tactical camera, although I haven't examined one. I would look to the outside variables - temperature, humidity, light, distance, etc., and log everything. If my Tactacam failed I would power down, reset the same card, and power up. I would want to see if the failure was reproduced. Then I would do this again but after copying files off card and using Tactacam to format the same card.

I would not be investing in different brand SD cards. Just my thoughts again without having one to analyze but plenty of years of hands on experience.

cowhornedspike

I don't have a Tactacam camera. But man I fail to understand how the memory card brand could possibly cause the camera to not function correctly. And this is with 30 years in data forensics and cybercrime investigations.

A storage device, in this case a SD card, is just that. It exists to store data. The card is initialized with a file system type, and the FS TYPE must be recognized by the operating system or the technology device in which the card is seated (trail camera). I strongly recommend using the technology device to "format" the memory card. This "guarantees" the device will properly write to the memory card. A computer may initialize an unsupported FS TYPE or set parameters to a supported FS TYPE that the technology device cannot interpret.

Using a fast speed class SD card is needed so that the data may be written with integrity when seated in trail cameras (more so for video than still images).

So ... I call bogus on the BRAND of SD card being the culprit. I think the issue lies within the firmware and sensors in the Tactical camera, although I haven't examined one. I would look to the outside variables - temperature, humidity, light, distance, etc., and log everything. If my Tactacam failed I would power down, reset the same card, and power up. I would want to see if the failure was reproduced. Then I would do this again but after copying files off card and using Tactacam to format the same card.

I would not be investing in different brand SD cards. Just my thoughts again without having one to analyze but plenty of years of hands on experience.

Whether you agree or not it is a common issue with these cameras and almost always is the fix for problems customers are having who believe the same way you do.
What is sooooo difficult about using the card the camera manufacturer says is needed??? Do you want your camera to work properly or do you just want to be stubborn and prove them wrong? You chose your solution but I run the correct cards in all 13 of mine and have NO issues with any of them...