Target 10- 22 BUILD. FINALLY.

Big7

The Oracle
Been had all the parts for a while and the rifle at least 2 years. I wanted to do it right and just kept putting it off.

Today is the day. FINALLY. :bounce:

I know, picture sucks but it a pretty little rifle.
20230919_141453.jpg

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
And then ONE pin came out of the trigger group assembly.

:hair:

This done turned into one of those "CLUSTER" things. facepalm: Springs went fling everywhere.

I've already put 2 of these BX Triggers in. No problem. Takes less than 10 minutes.

Look at that last line in the pic.. They aint 54 dollars no mo'.

A single magazine is 20 and a 3 pack is 50$ now. Standard carbine is around 350 more or less.
ruger-1022-carbine-original-review-5.jpg

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
What all did the build consist of?

Can see a trigger swap & pending scope install in the pic.

Were the action, barrel, stock and such separates ?
It's in progress.

Hopefully I can get away without having to do a whole lot.

I bought it with the .9 something barrel and laminated stock.

For now ima' put a BX trigger in it and I got a Vortex 6X18X44 with a BDC MOA reticle and parallax adjustable from 15 yards to infinity.

One piece DNZ Reaper base and rings.

Put a Santoprene bolt stop in it from Pete's Pillars to keep it from slamming on the back stroke. That quietens them down a lot if you go suppressed too.

All I done was polish the bolt and carriage to get everything soothed out. Everything was nicely free floated from the factory so I didn't have to do anything there.

I got 2 other 10- 22 Carbines standard barrel that run pretty good and I did all the same things to them but I didn't spend big money on scopes and bases.

I can get a chassis or whatever I need because I done made my mind up I'm going to start shooting some of these centerfire and rimfire matches and see if I can still cut it. :bounce:

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Got it together and everything is functioning.
Only thing left is set the eye relief and level everything up and then get the plumb line hold to it tomorrow. Then off to the range to run it in.

Found out from Ruger it was manufactured in late 2015 and I've had it in the safe for a while.
20230919_185927.jpg20230919_185938.jpg20230919_190011.jpg

SC Hunter

I've got a shilen barrel in the closet for a 10/22. I need to get a stock for one of them and put it together eventually.

That rifle is going to be fun to shoot!

killerv

You'll have fun with that, the one I built also sits in a factory lam target stock. My dumb self sold my heavy kidd and replaced it with an ultralite kidd. Doesn't shot as well, I thought I wanted real light but I sacrificed some accuracy. I'm sure its me and not the barrel. My first session with the heavy kidd I had 10 shots in under 9/10in group @100, factory trigger. Shooting eley tenex though. Why I messed with that I don't know. Always tinkerin I guess.

krizia829

Nice setup! How far are you gonna be shooting? That wood looks beautiful

10/22 is such a classic. I don't think there's any other semi-auto rimfire .22lr like it (quality wise).

I'm a bolt-action fan but those semi's are so fun to shoot. We bought our girls not long ago a little Winchester Wildcat. Very cool little rifle but you can definitely feel a difference in quality

Big7

The Oracle
What all did the build consist of?

Can see a trigger swap & pending scope install in the pic.

Were the action, barrel, stock and such separates ?
Wasn't real hard to this point. The BX trigger drops right in with no screws, just 2 cross pins and I threw in an aftermarket soft bolt stop pillar while I had the assembly out. The .920" and other "heavy" barrel models have only one screw holding the whole barreled action to the stock. You can mess with the torque from 18 to 25 inch pounds to see what your particular rifle likes but Ruger says don't go past 25 in-lbs. The standard carbines also have a barrel band. Hard to tell the difference in the BX vs STANDARD Trigger once installed unless you are used to looking at both. The magazine release is a little different but not much.
EDIT: I meant hard to tell the difference by looking at the 2 different triggers. You can DEFINITELY tell the difference in the pull.

You can get an extended mag release but I didnt.

Also, I put a BX Trigger in 3, 10-22's total so they would all have the same 2.5 or so pound pull.

There are several more aftermarket triggers for the 10- 22 that are probably better but cost 2/3 as much as the rifle. Volquartsen, Kidd, Timney and a few more but I ain't there yet and the BX is Ruger manufactured and a great trigger. Only cost 99$.

Pic is of the trigger that came out put back in the greenish protective insert. (the release, spring and plunger is not supposed to be out) It comes this way in the blister pack so you can dry fire and re- cock it as many times as you want without hurting the trigger group or smacking your fingers with the hammer while you check out the trigger pull.

Scope is a Vortex Crossfire II 6X18X44 MOA, BDC Reticle Parallax 15 YARDS to INFINITELY
(Not zero stop but has a deal so you can release the turrets and set zero so you can manually count back to zero but not a physical stop. I forget what they call it. Mine is set for 50 yard zero)

Mount is DNZ REAPER One Piece
20230925_070029.jpg

20230925_062019.jpg20230925_062236.jpg20230925_062340.jpg

Last edited:

ssramage

Nice! I've got an older 10/22 that I've been threatening to work up for the last 10 years. I'd like to have a suppressor host at some point, so maybe I'll get to it.

Big7

The Oracle
I'm not sure the barrel diameter on a carbine would allow threading and I think you would loose the front sight
You can thread the Standard Carbine barrel and keep the front sight too.. Easy peasy. If your can has female 1/2- 28 threads, I can sketch everything out on paper with dimensions so you can get a gunsmith or machine shop to do it. I would recommend the machine shop. You might have to take them just the barrel tho. A lot of them won't mess with them if the receiver is on it. Anyhoooo... They have the "stuff" and most of all the knowledge to be ACCURATE.

Let me know and I'll draw it out and take a cell phone pic and you can have it done.
(That goes for any gun IF it can be done)
My Windows NT Computer crashed and my CAD/CAM Software won't run on the new Windows.

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
I'm not sure the barrel diameter on a carbine would allow threading and I think you would loose the front sight
And both of my standard carbines are really accurate. I might put a target scope on one just to see what it will do.

I have heard from many different sources that if you take off the front barrell band and mess with the 1 and only other screw that holds it together it supposedly has a "sweet spot" between
18 and 25 inch pounds. Ruger says don't go over 25.

My little target rifle has only the one screw.

PS.. have heard of pillar and glass bedding, free floating?, etc... Whatever you would do to a centerfire has/can be done to the 10- 22 usually.

Last edited: