Tennessee Poachers Caught and Punished

We have had a couple of very high profile poaching incidents in this area of Tennessee in the last several years. The first was uncovered in 2010 in Stewart County, Tn as over 40 trophy mounts were found having been poached over a 10 year period with most (all?) having been taken off of the Ft Campbell reservation from the areas of the live fire range that were are also off limits for hunting. Due to the fact that these areas are off limits, bucks can typically live to a ripe old age and sport enormous antlers. (I saw a 180+ at my taxidermist just a month ago shot just outside the post's impact areas legally)

The case was high profile and included both state & federal charges. Having seen the mounts at a show shown as the "wall of shame" I and all my hunting Buddies were outraged that such nice trophies were taken both illegally and systematically for years. To a person we were all disappointed at the relatively "light" sentences imposed on the four poachers arrested and convicted of several offenses. Those hunters lost their privileges to hunt in Tennessee for 7 yrs (nearly up now). The federal counts' penalties have never been announced to the public in those cases.

Fast forward to the newest offenses discovered in the Rutherford County area of Tennessee. Two individuals were arrested twice in a 2-3 day period and when search warrants were awarded, the TWRA found evidence of an ongoing poaching operation with as many as 40 deer (more?) involved. This time it seems as if the state got the penalties more inline with the offenses as the men have had their hunting privileges revoked for LIFE!

PLEASE SEE THE FULL ARTICLE HERE:

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/sto...-poachers-get-lifetime-hunting-bans/80627542/

j_seph

One of best things I also seen in article

Notice that I did not refer to these men as “hunters.” Poachers are not hunters. They are criminals and thieves and they need to treated as such.

foxwatcher

Revoking their hunting privileges for life will do absolutely nothing to deter them. It's quite obvious they don't care about laws.

groundhawg

Revoking their hunting privileges for life will do absolutely nothing to deter them. It's quite obvious they don't care about laws.

Yep, they are already not following any legal regs.. Not having licenses will not deter them. Heavy fines, take away their guns, trucks, might slow them down.

Yep, they are already not following any legal regs.. Not having licenses will not deter them. Heavy fines, take away their guns, trucks, might slow them down.

That did also occur. From the article:

"The two poachers incurred thousands of dollars in lawyer expenses and court costs, confiscated rifles and bows, $5,000 each in restitution fees....."

Of course, confiscation of any vehicles involved would also have been good!

Gumpbuck

Read about this..... Why no jail time??? That will slow them down.....

Read about this..... Why no jail time??? That will slow them down.....

I surely do not disagree with the idea of jail time for serious game violations. Count me in for that!

However, we live in a nation that many times does not send a drunk driver who killed someone in a wreck to jail. There are lots more offenses that rarely have jail time given to the the perps when convicted.

As I said, I'd be more than fine with seeing such punishments doled out, I simply am not surprised when it doesn't happen. I'd like to see their vehicles confiscated along with the fines they incurred and weapons that were confiscated.

Gumpbuck

I surely do not disagree with the idea of jail time for serious game violations. Count me in for that!

However, we live in a nation that many times does not send a drunk driver who killed someone in a wreck to jail. There are lots more offenses that rarely have jail time given to the the perps when convicted.

As I said, I'd be more than fine with seeing such punishments doled out, I simply am not surprised when it doesn't happen. I'd like to see their vehicles confiscated along with the fines they incurred and weapons that were confiscated.

Agree :)

Barebowyer

This is more prevalent than one would think on our military installations and common practice for some. Many also "black flag areas and close them off when they see a bachelor group of buck there, hunt in bow only area with high powered rifles, etc." Thee is a similar situation going on out on the coastal waters with poachers, weak penalties, etc...It's a shame. No personal morals and/or ethics!!!

The mtn man

Something that I've come to understand is, some judges don't understand the impact of poaching, or shooting an animal out of season for "food". I have come to understand that some of the general non hunting public along with judges don't see it the way we do. We have different personal feeling about it, to them it's not personal and the suspect didn't harm or try to harm another person in the act. They just see someone shooting a deer, some don't seperate shooting a deer legally or illegally, to some it's just a shot deer.

Lukikus2

Yep. Just like Paw said "Them big city folks is going to come and get you for some reason or another, just cause they can".

Lock them up in a cell wallpapered with Hillary's portrait. Force them to watch closed circuit TV playing Sonic commercials 24/7.

I think we've just found a great replacement judge for our Supreme Court!

Are you busy for say the next 35 years GottaGetOutdoors? :flag:

Last edited:

PappyHoel

It's just a deer

Mako22

BANNED
So why isn't anyone upset over huge bucks living in an impact area? Why no cry about all the spikes that would have been a good one, one day if they hadn't caught that TOW missile in the chest? I know of a herd of deer that got caught in the middle of a tank gunnery range back in the 80's....7.62mm coaxle MG ate them up! In the end its just a pine goat and anyone can hunt them, takes no skill at all really.

For some reason I have never gotten mad over someone poaching a big buck. Its just not one of those things that I get upset over.

ripplerider

Something that I've come to understand is, some judges don't understand the impact of poaching, or shooting an animal out of season for "food". I have come to understand that some of the general non hunting public along with judges don't see it the way we do. We have different personal feeling about it, to them it's not personal and the suspect didn't harm or try to harm another person in the act. They just see someone shooting a deer, some don't seperate shooting a deer legally or illegally, to some it's just a shot deer.

Unfortunately sometimes elected officials are actively involved in poaching. Not gonna name the county but Im sure most people over the age of 40 or so living in Northeast Ga. will remember when several county officials were caught poaching, I believe they were running deer with dogs and coordinating their efforts with walkie-talkies which the game warden overheard. The local judge was notorious for not prosecuting game violations and I believe the state stepped in and found a whole drawer of tickets which had not been pursued. Was quite a while ago maybe someone else remembers more details?

Buckstop

Might be just a deer, but poaching is still taking something that doesn't belong to you. Not much different than the meth head cleaning out your camper a week after the season. He prolly doesn't see the big deal either.