Tetanus

crackerdave

Anybody had it?
All my life I've heard about the dreaded "lockjaw" and got numerous shots to prevent it,but I've never known anybody that had it. Have you?

sinclair1

I had the line once from a nail that went thru my foot and I didn’t take care of the thing. Had to go to the ER and had some infection in my blood, but none of the stuff I heard about.
I guess antibiotics are better than the days of the stories.

Doug B.

Great to see you here again Dave!!!!

I have never had tetanus, but I remember the old timers would burn a wool sock under your foot and rub kerosene on it if you stepped on a nail!! Would it keep you from getting tetanus? You better believe it would!!!!! (According to the old timers).

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Never known a human with it.
Unfortunetly have seen horses n donkeys with it.
It's not good. Have to be put down every time.
I heard the vaccination is VERY effevctive.
Last time I had a teatnus booster was bout 19 or 20 year ago a horse kicked me in the face and bit my shoulder real bad and the doctors office gave me tetanus booster right away

snookdoctor

Not lock jaw, but limited jaw. My jaw was popping, like TMJ?
I couldn't open it more than half way. That in itself was frustrating, and made it difficult to eat most things that required chewing. No rusty nails involved.

Any dentists in the house?:censored:

earlthegoat2

I’m pretty sure tetanus and other easily preventable old timey diseases only pop up in non-industrialized areas.

India springs to mind. It seems like they had a leprosy outbreak there not long ago.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
I know a speech pathologist who specializes in working with tetanus patience. So it is not totally eradicated in the U.S. She works with others also but tetanus is her specialty in Orlando.

oldfella1962

Great to see you here again Dave!!!!

I have never had tetanus, but I remember the old timers would burn a wool sock under your foot and rub kerosene on it if you stepped on a nail!! Would it keep you from getting tetanus? You better believe it would!!!!! (According to the old timers).
:cautious: Maybe it did work, but I'd like to see the science behind it. No I've never had tetanus but I've had plenty of tetanus shots over the years.

oldfella1962

Never known a human with it.
Unfortunetly have seen horses n donkeys with it.
It's not good. Have to be put down every time.
I heard the vaccination is VERY effevctive.
Last time I had a teatnus booster was bout 19 or 20 year ago a horse kicked me in the face and bit my shoulder real bad and the doctors office gave me tetanus booster right away
How do you survive a HORSE kicking you in the face? :oops: That would like Mike Tyson on PCP hitting you.

ScLowCountry

You don't get tetanus cause you live in a developed country and you have shoes ect. It occurs here rarely due to vaccine and hygiene. In third world countries it is more prevalent

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Tetanus vaccine every ten years, right ?
I'm not sure anymore. Years back I pulled the ol' step on a rusty nail big enough to see it so as to not step on it. Was taken to Cobb Hospital to have it removed and get a tetanus booster shot since it had been 2 whole years since my last one. Well, 1st time on crutches and still a bit blurry eyed from the pain meds I fell (was launched) off the sidewalk curb into the parking lot. Was toted back into the E.R. to get my broken wrist set.... what's the very 1st thing they wanna do? Yep... since I had a bunch of new "asphalt rash" to be cleaned... a tetanus booster... guess they're only good for less than 30 minutes.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Read that in the US, there are ~30 cases reported annually.

Wound care is more important, IMO. Also, if I recall, last time I had a booster the doc said that the booster doesn't prevent the immediate injury from getting tetanus...it's the 'last' booster you got that does that. The injury trip to the ER is just a good time to update your booster for the 'next' injury.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
How do you survive a HORSE kicking you in the face? :oops: That would like Mike Tyson on PCP hitting you.
Yeah it was pretty rough.
Long time a go but I still remember well.
Saw the flash of light, had to keep walking circles around the truck to stay awake. I bled out of my nose from just after 10 am to almost 5 pm.
I wasn't even concerned with the big shoulder bite but that's why I got the tetanus booster