Thanks to my son Mike

longbowdave1

The lease where we hunt is a small tract of land, a ledge divides the property into high ground on top along the crop fields, and marsh and cedars down low.

The issues is there is one trail that we use to get to the bottom. A muddy, rocky, 40 degree grade about 90 feet down. Treacherous to descend or climb when it is muddy, snow or ice covered, or if dragging a big corn fed deer up the hill. Especially because I often hunt solo.

I'm far from the 18 year old bull that I was, when I started bowhunting 41 seasons ago. I took a spill going down the incline on opening weekend, tweaked my knee a bit. I found myself not hunting some prime stands on the bottom, worried about getting deer out on a hand cart.

This week my son Mike, bushwacked a new trail in on the south end, where the incline is slight, and grade not as steep. He hooked up with the old trail, making it all old dude friendly. I walked the new trail before I packed up today, smiling all the way. It still is a bit of work to get one out of the bottom, but 100 percent doable now.

Got to keep this old dog hunting. Thanks Mike, you made your Dad proud.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
The lease where we hunt is a small tract of land, a ledge divides the property into high ground on top along the crop fields, and marsh and cedars down low.

The issues is there is one trail that we use to get to the bottom. A muddy, rocky, 40 degree grade about 90 feet down. Treacherous to descend or climb when it is muddy, snow or ice covered, or if dragging a big corn fed deer up the hill. Especially because I often hunt solo.

I'm far from the 18 year old bull that I was, when I started bowhunting 41 seasons ago. I took a spill going down the incline on opening weekend, tweaked my knee a bit. I found myself not hunting some prime stands on the bottom, worried about getting deer out on a hand cart.

This week my son Mike, bushwacked a new trail in on the south end, where the incline is slight, and grade not as steep. He hooked up with the old trail, making it all old dude friendly. I walked the new trail before I packed up today, smiling all the way. It still is a bit of work to get one out of the bottom, but 100 percent doable now.

That's awesome.
Reminds me of one time when my son was little. We were hunting & he said right out of the clear blue, "daddy, thank you for taking me hunting."
I told him, "son that's what daddy's do. One day I'll be old & you'll take me hunting."
I'll never forget that.

longbowdave1

That's awesome.
Reminds me of one time when my son was little. We were hunting & he said right out of the clear blue, "daddy, thank you for taking me hunting."
I told him, "son that's what daddy's do. One day I'll be old & you'll take me hunting."
I'll never forget that.
Awesome. My son has been hunting there with me since he was seven. At 12 he was allowed to finally get a deer license. He shot a little forkhorn at sunrise. We got it gutted, then I dragged it right up the hill, and he said, " take break and dont go so fast". I laughed and we just kept on trycking back to the pickup. Now it's often me and my older brother hunting together. Kind of like grumpy old men go deer hunting. Times change.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Outstanding! Can you loan him to me for a day? I got the same problem.:bounce::rockon:

longbowdave1

I'll be hunting again next weekend, usually Halloween weekend rut action starts to pick up. I will definitely be benefiting from the new leg of the trail. ?