The Hunting Public

RootConservative

My family has cut cable/satellite out for a couple years now. We have a Roku, which allows us to stream Netflix, Amazon Prime, and others but the only other one we use is YouTube. Still have to pay for high-speed internet, but the amount of money saved not having cable or satellite is surprising. Even when I had cable, I did not watch that much hunting TV b/c it seemed unrealistic to my style of hunting. Many of the shows on TV had Celebrity Hunters or hunting endorsed personalities. Many shows are hunting private ranches and do not disclose this until the location strolls by in tiny letters in the credits. In addition, they push many products. I used to watch Meat Eater and really liked the show and was excited when Netflix started streaming it. A couple of weeks ago I stumbled across the show "The Hunting Public" on Amazon Prime and really like it. The focus of the show is hunting aggressive on public land in Iowa & Missouri and a couple of other states. They focus on bow hunting but do hunt muzzle loader season. They do hunt some private property but not a lot. As they have grown in popularity, new people have joined their team. They have one rookie hunter that was one of their camera operators and they have been teaching him as the season’s progress. What I like about the show is they are regular people with regular jobs and drive regular cars. Many of their cars are what I would consider a jalopy. Even with their success, they still have regular jobs, still drive old cars and hunt the same way. There are one or two personalities that when they talk I want to mute them but the episodes are short anywhere from 6 min to 28 minutes and they also have a weekly podcast. When I started hunting, I used a rifle for a number of years. Then I wanted to get into bow hunting so I bought a bow. Before I could start bow hunting I got in a bad car accident and it hurt too badly so I got a crossbow. I hunted with a crossbow for a number of years and when it did not hurt to shoot a bow, I got back into bow hunting. My crossbow is still in great shape, my wife uses it, and I am teaching my daughter to use it (she is 5). I shoot my bow several times a week. However, in a hunting situation I am only comfortable shooting out to 30 yards on a deer. Ideally, I want a 10-15 yard shot. I will shoot a hog out a lot further. However, my limit on deer is inside 30 yards I thought I was inferior as a bow hunter. Most of the hunters on this show limit their shots to inside 30 yards too. They do not express the shame I felt for not being comfortable shooting a deer past 30 yards and I guess some of this is from when I used to watch hunting shows on TV.

They hunt very aggressively and try to get as close as they can to a mature bucks bed without spooking him. In addition, when hunting public land if they encounter someone else they do not get mad and have a tantrum. In addition, when someone shoots a buck on public land they are genuinely happy for them, congratulate them, and offer to take pictures for them. They use kayaks, canoes, Jon boats to access hard to reach spots. I hope that some will like this show as much as I have.

Here's a link the their YouTube page,
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzlnaIrdxwJITyrESOReqxg

Here's a link to one of the episodes I really liked,

krizia829

My husband and I watch their videos on YouTube. We love their show. You'd be surprised how much you can learn from just watching them! We always recommend THP to new hunters because they're as real as one can get. These guys know their stuff. Take a look at Seek One Productions too! Lee, who won the truck buck shootout this year, is from that show on YouTube and we enjoy every minute of it!

ssramage

I get pretty much all of my hunting content from YouTube these days. Been sick in the bed all day, rolling through videos and channels.

Great show and seems pretty realistic but they always seem to have a way to either access or magically get in contact with the adjacent private land owner. Otherwise I enjoy the background and learn a lot from their comments on setting stands up in the right place, getting down to make something happen, still hunting, etc.

davidhelmly

I have known Aaron, Greg and his wife Myndi for 7-8 years from when they worked for Bill Winke on Midwest Whitetail and they are the nicest most genuine people you will ever meet. I don't get a chance to watch all of their shows but I do watch when I can, great show!

DSGB

THP is one of my favorite Youtube channels. Both Aaron and Greg upgraded to Tundras just before the Deer Tour started this year. Love their content and the fact that they are just normal guys hunting public land.

BornToHuntAndFish

Good stuff & good guys, but a little long winded at times which can be skipped over when preferred.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
A lot of good Youtube content out there. I watch The Hunting Public, Catman, Pinhoti, Untamed, DIY Sportsman seems to be making videos this year, Shane Simpson. The guy building his cabin in the Canadian wilderness- My Self Reliance. Boss of the Swamp. I even watch Joe Robinet go camping. It beats about everything on TV.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Getting away from cable/satellite, are there apps you can get to watch ballgames, news, etc?

buckpasser

They seem like good guys and great ambassadors for our sport. I stumbled onto them in my traveling days with their podcast. It’s pretty good but their videos are even better.

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
THP puts out some awesome content. It’s the first place I send new hunters to learn and not only that but to learn how to do it right. They are truly great ambassadors for the community.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Getting away from cable/satellite, are there apps you can get to watch ballgames, news, etc?
The one I use is probably not legal even though it's a paid service?.

YouTube Live and Hulu Live would probably do what you're looking for at a much smaller monthly tab

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
I was the video above. Really liked it.
I've gotten away from mainstream hunting videos over the last several years because of the video cuts, music, commercialization, silliness, etc.

Beginning to wonder if I'm getting "crotchety". ??

rugerfan

I will have to check this show out, as I too cut the cable TV several years ago.

I stopped watching hunting shows for many of the same reasons that you mentioned in your post. I used to like to watch Dan Fitzgerald and Bob Foulkrod hunting shows, because it wasn't all about trophy bucks, gizmos and gadgets. It was about hunting deer.