The magic age

Baroque Brass

As of today I am 66 1/2 years old, the magic age where the government will graciously no longer penalize me on the money I’ve earned and paid in over the years if I earn more than $17,800 in a year. Ain’t that nice of them?

fflintlock

Useles Billy’s Clubhouse Maintenance man
I'm a few months right behind you. Now if we didn't have to pay any school or real-estate taxes, that would be great.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
Gwinnet allows you to be exempt for school taxes. Dont remember the age but dad is opted out.
It varies by county. Some counties allow a full exemption, others not so much. My county allows 50%, though I will never have a child in their school system.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
As of today I am 66 1/2 years old, the magic age where the government will graciously no longer penalize me on the money I’ve earned and paid in over the years if I earn more than $17,800 in a year. Ain’t that nice of them?
You will still pay Social Security and Medicare taxes if it’s earned income. :wink:

sinclair1

It varies by county. Some counties allow a full exemption, others not so much. My county allows 50%, though I will never have a child in their school system.
That’s one negative of rural counties. They don’t offer much in Bryan compared to Cherokee.
It went to zero when we left 2 years ago, but not sure now

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
That’s one negative of rural counties. They don’t offer much in Bryan compared to Cherokee.
It went to zero when we left 2 years ago, but not sure now
Yep, I can throw a rock into Cherokee from my porch but am legally in Bartow. So I lose on that one.

oldfella1962

Yep, just when i have a glimmer of hope.

The government uses my money for fifty plus years, pays me no interest, and makes it hard for me to get it when I’m entitled to it. Once we reach retirement age, we shouldn’t have to pay tax on our money.
Funny how the gub'mint drags their feet when you are entitled to your money, but if you owe them money, they are all over it like white on rice! :unsure:

Baroque Brass

Another reson to hate .gov - I called the SS office today to ask if my wife has to reach 66.5 years to draw SS without penalty if she’s still working. The person asked if my wife was present, I said she wasn’t but I have her SS#. The rep said she couldn’t give me that information. I said, it’s a general question and she argued with me. I changed the question and asked, okay what age can a person draw a salary and not be penalized. The rep hung up on me. I hate the government.

madsam

Funny how the gub'mint drags their feet when you are entitled to your money, but if you owe them money, they are all over it like white on rice! :unsure:
Did some State Gov. work 2yrs. ago. Substantial amount . It took
1.5 years to get paid. Almost got lawyered up but they eventually
paid. Let me not pay my state income tax !!!!

westcobbdog

In Cobb it's age 62 and the school tax is about 68 % of your total tax bill.
Headed to sign up for my discount this December. Won't have to wait a year for it to go into effect with a Dec b day, sweet! Jan 1 of 24' reduction kicks in.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
Yep, I can throw a rock into Cherokee from my porch but am legally in Bartow. So I lose on that one.
And, instead of a board of commissioners Bartow still has a monarchy form of Govt. hence all the warehouses and apartment complexes going up all over the county

Shotgun1

Only two things in this world that I truly hate. That would be government at all levels and people that will not support themselves. Govn't handouts have doomed this country.