Those With Tags! See Changes!!!!

ryan_beasley

Below is the text that is sent in the email of those that got tags. The big one that I see is, you must purchase your Alligator harvest permit BEFORE they mail you a tag (and allow them 10 days before arrival). Just a heads up in case you didn't see it!

Dear XXXXXXX,
Congratulations! You have been selected for a spot in Georgia's upcoming Alligator Quota Hunt. Please view your event information below:
HUNT LOCATIONS START DATE END DATE
08/18/2017 10/02/2017

Congratulations! You Are Participating

As a result of your selection, your online account will be reduced by the number of priority points wagered, up to the number of points it took to guarantee a win for your selected hunt.
IMPORTANT! You must do the following to receive your alligator tag:
• Go to: www.GoOutdoorsGeorgia.com
• Check your mailing address in the system. Your address must be correct to receive your alligator tag, which you must have while hunting.
• Purchase an alligator harvest permit to receive your tag: $75 resident, $250 nonresident. If you have a lifetime sportsman’s license, senior lifetime hunting license, youth sportsman’s/youth hunting license, disability sportsman’s license, or honorary license you have been authorized for an alligator harvest permit at no cost, but you still must go online and obtain the permit before we will mail the tag.
• The appropriate tag has been approved for you based on residency. If residency has changed, please call 1-800-366-2661 to purchase the appropriate license.
The alligator tag may take up to 10 days to reach you by mail after you have completed these tasks, so please purchase your alligator harvest permit immediately so we can mail you the required alligator tag. If you have not received your tag in the mail within 10 days after obtaining your alligator harvest permit, please call (229) 426-5267 for assistance.
You must have a hunting license, alligator harvest permit, and a harvest tag to take an alligator. Only one alligator may be taken per tag, and the person with the alligator harvest permit must be present. Persons 16 and older participating in the alligator hunt must have a valid hunting license to hunt alligators. No one less than 12 may participate in the hunt.
The 2017 alligator hunting season opens at sunset on Friday, August 18, 2017 and closes at sunrise on Monday, October 2, 2017. You should read all alligator hunting regulations at this link before hunting.
Login to Purchase Permits

Thank you for hunting! Hunters and anglers fund wildlife conservation and have for over 75 years through their purchase of equipment and licenses. To learn more about wildlife funding click here.
Track us online at gohuntgeorgia.com
Find us online: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Flickr |
If you would like to receive more updates like this one, sign up for e-updates here
Go Outdoors,
Georgia Wildlife Resources Division

jigman29

Glad you posted! I always buy my license the day we go to hunt. I would have been in a mess this year waiting on the wifes. Thanks a bunch!!!

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
Good to know!

Another change is that only the permit holder has to have an alligator license unlike years past where everyone in the boat needed an alligator license.

Not that I needed to purchase a license, but it's not even an option for me one. We don't have a permit this year but was curious to see if it showed the free alligator permit since I have a lifetime license. I guess if you don't get picked you don't have an option to buy the license.

Ihunt

Thanks.

Your post saved me some heartache

hortonhunter22

Good to know!

Another change is that only the permit holder has to have an alligator license unlike years past where everyone in the boat needed an alligator license.

Not that I needed to purchase a license, but it's not even an option for me one. We don't have a permit this year but was curious to see if it showed the free alligator permit since I have a lifetime license. I guess if you don't get picked you don't have an option to buy the license.

page 10 in regulation book says otherwise just wondering where you got this info?

ryan_beasley

Here is the confusion... the printed regulations is anyone assisting must have a "hunting license" (that's the $15 resident tag if you look to buy it online) where as the the "Alligator Hunting Permit" ($75 before tag is mailed)is only given to the tag holder.

Trust me, I see your confusion, and will definitely not offer legal advice here! lol

Below is a reference of the www.gohuntgeorgia.com website.

See highlighted below................

Georgia WildLife Resources Logo
REGULATIONS
ABOUT US
EDUCATION
LOCATIONS
RESOURCES
LICENSES
DNR

Alligator Hunting Season and Regulations

The American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) is a conservation success story. Due to loss of habitat and unregulated market hunting, alligators were reduced to low numbers by the early 1900s. Thanks to the efforts of conservationists and state wildlife agencies, alligators were listed as endangered in 1967. This status, combined with proactive management and law enforcement efforts by wildlife professionals, allowed alligator populations to rebound and they now flourish over most of their historic range. Alligator populations increased to the point that their protected status was downlisted in 1987 allowing greater flexibility to manage populations.

The alligator population in Georgia is one of many renewable natural resources that can sustain limited harvest in concert with biological monitoring and periodic evaluations. Georgia’s flourishing alligator population is managed through a regulated hunting season. Additionally, licensed nuisance alligator agent-trappers annually remove about 450 alligators in the state.

If you are interested in participating in a totally hands-on, eye-to-eye hunting adventure unlike any other hunting experience you can pursue in Georgia, then the Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR), Wildlife Resources Division (WRD) invites you to submit an application for the opportunity to participate in Georgia’s alligator hunting season.

Apply here for the Alligator Quota Hunt (beginning June 1)
Alligator Hunt Zones Map
Click here to view previous season Alligator Harvest Summaries
GENERAL INFORMATION

SEASON: the 2017 season opens at SUNSET on Friday, August 18, 2017 and closes at SUNRISE on Monday, October 2, 2017.

Bag Limit: One (1) alligator. Legal alligators must be greater than or equal to 48 inches in length as measured from end of the snout to tip of the tail for Zones 1-9. In Zone 1A (Lake Walter F. George), legal alligators must be greater or equal to 96 inches in length as measured from end of the snout to tip of the tail.

LICENSES: Anyone hunting or assisting an alligator permit holder must possess a valid Hunting License. Hunters must be at least twelve years of age. Hunters age 12-15 need not have a Hunting License. In order to hunt unsupervised they must have a valid Hunter Education Certificate. An Alligator Harvest Permit must be in possession of a person in the hunting party.

LEGAL METHODS: Hunters may use hand-held ropes or snares, snatch hooks, harpoons, gigs or arrows with a restraining line attached. Legal alligators must be dispatched immediately upon capture by using a handgun or bangstick, or by severing the spinal cord with a sharp implement.

LEGAL HOURS: Alligators may be hunted during the day or at night.

LANDOWNER PERMISSION: It is unlawful to hunt without landowners permission including powerline, gas line, railroad and other rights-of-way. Written permission must be obtained if land is so posted.

OPEN ZONES: For purpose of managing, hunting and dispersing alligator harvest, the State is divided into 10 zones as follows:

Zone 01 - Calhoun, Chattahoochee, Clay, Early, Harris, Marion, Muscogee, Quitman, Randolph, Stewart, Talbot, Terrell & Webster Counties (this zone DOES NOT include zone 1A, Lake Walter F. George) (Q=35)
Zone 01A* – Lake Walter F. George(Areas north of the dam, west of Hwy 39 and south of the Hwy 39 bridge at Omaha, GA side only. Hunting in the refuge is not allowed). (Q=30)
Zone 02 - Baker, Decatur, Grady, Miller, Mitchell & Seminole Counties. (Q=220)
Zone 03 - Crawford, Crisp, Dooly, Dougherty, Houston, Lee, Macon, Monroe, Peach, Schley, Sumter, Taylor, Upson & Worth Counties (Q=60)
Zone 04 - Berrien, Brooks, Colquitt, Cook, Irwin, Lanier, Lowndes, Thomas, Tift & Turner Counties (Q=85)
Zone 05 - Baldwin, Ben Hill, Bibb, Bleckley, Coffee, Dodge, Jeff Davis, Jones, Montgomery, Pulaski, Telfair, Treutlen, Twiggs, Wheeler, Wilcox & Wilkinson Counties (Q=100)
Zone 06 - Atkinson, Bacon, Brantley, Camden, Charlton, Clinch, Echols, Pierce & Ware Counties (Q=80)
Zone 07 - Appling, Glynn, Long, McIntosh, Tattnall, Toombs & Wayne Counties (Q=150)
Zone 08 - Bryan, Bulloch, Candler, Chatham (excluding the Bradley River, Cane Patch and Rush Creek areas within the boundaries of Ossabaw Island Natural Heritage Preserve) , Effingham, Evans, and Liberty, Counties (Q=160)
Zone 09 - Burke, Columbia, Emanuel, Glascock, Hancock, Jefferson, Jenkins, Johnson, McDuffie, Richmond, Screven, Warren and Washington (Q=80)
WMAs in the legal zones are open to alligator hunting provided that the WMA has open small game dates that coincide with the open season for alligators unless otherwise specified. Please refer to the WMA listing in the 2016-2017 Georgia Hunting Seasons & Regulations booklet, which will be available in print August 1st and online in late-July.

*Zone 01A: Special regulations and a USCOE permit required on Lake Walter F. George. More info here.

HOW TO APPLY: You must apply online at www.gooutdoorsgeorgia.com. Selection in a quota hunt will allow you to purchase an Alligator Harvest Permit, which must be held by a member of the alligator hunting party. You must first be selected through the quota hunt application process. Up to three individuals may apply as a party. No more than three individuals can be accepted as a party. When applying as a party, each applicant must allocate an equal number of priority points in order for the party application to be accepted. Each applicant must maintain a valid mailing address in their customer account. More information on the quota application process can be found on this page.

HUNT SELECTION: Hunters will be selected for a specified zone. Open zones for alligator hunting and the number of permits for each zone are listed under "Open Zones." No more than three (3) total selections are allowed.

DEADLINE: Application period is June 1-July 31. To be eligible for drawing, alligator applications must be received no later than 11:59 PM EST on July 31.

AGE RESTRICTION: No one under age 12 may apply for an alligator hunting permit or accompany a permitted alligator hunter during a hunt. It is unlawful for an adult to permit their child or ward (age 12-15) to hunt without adult supervision unless the child possesses a Hunter Education Certificate while hunting.

DISQUALIFICATIONS: Anyone submitting false information or more than one application will be disqualified and may be excluded from future hunts for two (2) years.

NOTIFICATION: Hunters who are selected will receive a harvest permit and temporary alligator harvest tag by mail. Permits and tags are not transferable, are only valid for the management zone and harvest period indicated thereon and must be in possession while hunting. Hunters not selected will receive a priority point, which may be applied to future applications.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: Selected hunters should review a "Guide to Alligator Hunting in Georgia" that includes information on hunting preparation, techniques, and processing.

TAGGING: Dispatched alligators must be tagged with a Department-supplied temporary harvest tag before transporting. Temporary tags shall be locked through the skin of the carcass within six (6) inches of the tip of the tail. The temporary tag shall remain attached to the alligator hide until the carcass is validated by WRD, Game Management Section personnel and a CITES tag is issued. Temporary and CITES tags may be used only once. The possession of any alligator hide not tagged is prohibited.

VALIDATION: All alligator carcasses or hides must be validated by taking it to a WRD, Game Management office during normal business hours (M-F; 8:00-4:30) prior to October 15. CITES tags issued by WRD must remain attached to the alligator hide until the hide is tanned, taxidermy mounted or exported from the state. At the time of validation, an alligator harvest report form provided by WRD must be completed by the permittee for each alligator harvested.

CONSUMPTION OF ALLIGATOR MEAT: Alligator meat is a good quality and flavorful meat. It is naturally high in protein, low in fat and cholesterol-free. Alligators may accumulate significant levels of mercury. For more information call (706) 557-6416 or (706) 369-6376.

FREEDOM22

sorry Danny

People like Beasley, and myself read the regs, verbatim and as mush as I hate to say this and correct a good fellow GON guy, but Id not want anyone getting bad info either.

ANYONE WHO IS ASSISTING OR PARTICIPATING IN AN ALLIGATOR HUNTING PARTY MUST HAVE A ALLIGATOR HUNTING LICENSE.

Thanks Danny.

Good to know!

FREEDOM22

Finally

People have lost the opportunity to draw a tag for years due to others putting in and never intending to go.

I saw that the tags may be reissued if the tag holder does not purchase a license. Thats great news for people that are dying to go but always seemed to be bumped for points collectors.

I NO< I'm not looking to make anyone mad here, I'm just glad to see the State listening and changing the rules to get the intended number of gators harvested.

These tags are regulated and issued based on NEEDS of the environment and the prescribed number of gators need to be taken. If not by recreational hunters, then they will be dispatched by nuisance gator hunters.

Look at the stats for total number of gators harvested on the quota hunts ..... I forget the exact numbers, but the nuisance guys kill more every year than all the tag holders combined.

Good luck guys, don't waste those tags!

Below is the text that is sent in the email of those that got tags. The big one that I see is, you must purchase your Alligator harvest permit BEFORE they mail you a tag (and allow them 10 days before arrival). Just a heads up in case you didn't see it!

Dear XXXXXXX,
Congratulations! You have been selected for a spot in Georgia's upcoming Alligator Quota Hunt. Please view your event information below:
HUNT LOCATIONS START DATE END DATE
08/18/2017 10/02/2017

Congratulations! You Are Participating

As a result of your selection, your online account will be reduced by the number of priority points wagered, up to the number of points it took to guarantee a win for your selected hunt.
IMPORTANT! You must do the following to receive your alligator tag:
• Go to: www.GoOutdoorsGeorgia.com
• Check your mailing address in the system. Your address must be correct to receive your alligator tag, which you must have while hunting.
• Purchase an alligator harvest permit to receive your tag: $75 resident, $250 nonresident. If you have a lifetime sportsman’s license, senior lifetime hunting license, youth sportsman’s/youth hunting license, disability sportsman’s license, or honorary license you have been authorized for an alligator harvest permit at no cost, but you still must go online and obtain the permit before we will mail the tag.
• The appropriate tag has been approved for you based on residency. If residency has changed, please call 1-800-366-2661 to purchase the appropriate license.
The alligator tag may take up to 10 days to reach you by mail after you have completed these tasks, so please purchase your alligator harvest permit immediately so we can mail you the required alligator tag. If you have not received your tag in the mail within 10 days after obtaining your alligator harvest permit, please call (229) 426-5267 for assistance.
You must have a hunting license, alligator harvest permit, and a harvest tag to take an alligator. Only one alligator may be taken per tag, and the person with the alligator harvest permit must be present. Persons 16 and older participating in the alligator hunt must have a valid hunting license to hunt alligators. No one less than 12 may participate in the hunt.
The 2017 alligator hunting season opens at sunset on Friday, August 18, 2017 and closes at sunrise on Monday, October 2, 2017. You should read all alligator hunting regulations at this link before hunting.
Login to Purchase Permits

Thank you for hunting! Hunters and anglers fund wildlife conservation and have for over 75 years through their purchase of equipment and licenses. To learn more about wildlife funding click here.
Track us online at gohuntgeorgia.com
Find us online: Facebook | YouTube | Twitter | Flickr |
If you would like to receive more updates like this one, sign up for e-updates here
Go Outdoors,
Georgia Wildlife Resources Division

ryan_beasley

People like Beasley, and myself read the regs, verbatim and as mush as I hate to say this and correct a good fellow GON guy, but Id not want anyone getting bad info either.

ANYONE WHO IS ASSISTING OR PARTICIPATING IN AN ALLIGATOR HUNTING PARTY MUST HAVE A ALLIGATOR HUNTING LICENSE.

Thanks Danny.

I agree 100%. I appologize if what I pointed out sounded like advice because it was not. I was just stating the source of the confusion. I surely don't want anyone quoting me when they get a ticket for not doing the right things. LOL

ryan_beasley

I've had numerous people call/text about this, and now I'm not even sure anymore! Here's their reasoning and I understand...

Last year, this is really easy for me to know what I need. I need a valid Hunting License AND a Alligator Hunting license.

2016-2017 Regulations page 10 states:
ALLIGATOR HUNTING LICENSE
is required, in addition to a valid Hunting
License, for anyone 16 years of age or older hunting alligator or assisting
an alligator permit holder. Lifetime Sportsman’s and Honorary License holders do not need an Alligator Hunting License. This privilege is not
covered by the Sportsman’s License.

This year...

2017-2018 Hunting Regulations page 10 states:
ALLIGATOR HARVEST PERMIT is required to harvest an alligator. All persons accompanying or assisting an alligator permit holder will need a valid hunting license. A free permit is available for Lifetime Sportsman’s License , Disability Sportsman’s License, Disability Hunting License, Honorary License, and Optional Youth Sportman’s License holders selected for an Alligator Quota hunt.

Anyone got some sound legal advice for those asking??? My comment was buy the $75 Permit and that's the cheapest part of the trip!

1982ace

I don't even see an option to buy an alligator permit online at this point in time. The tag holder must be the only one with permit

FREEDOM22

preparing for the hunt page

PREPARING FOR THE HUNT
LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Hunters and hunting assistants 16 years old or older must possess an alligator hunting license prior to hunting alligators, in addition to a valid small game hunt- ing license. A Wildlife Management Area (WMA) license is required if hunting on a WMA. Lifetime and honorary license holders are exempt from these require- ments. Persons accompanying a permitted alligator hunter and actively partici- pating in the hunt (e.g., operating the boat, holding a spotlight or otherwise assist- ing in the search, capture or dispatch of an alligator) also must meet these license requirements. Possession of a valid license is not required to apply for quota hunts.

I've had numerous people call/text about this, and now I'm not even sure anymore! Here's their reasoning and I understand...

Last year, this is really easy for me to know what I need. I need a valid Hunting License AND a Alligator Hunting license.

2016-2017 Regulations page 10 states:
ALLIGATOR HUNTING LICENSE
is required, in addition to a valid Hunting
License, for anyone 16 years of age or older hunting alligator or assisting
an alligator permit holder. Lifetime Sportsman’s and Honorary License holders do not need an Alligator Hunting License. This privilege is not
covered by the Sportsman’s License.

This year...

2017-2018 Hunting Regulations page 10 states:
ALLIGATOR HARVEST PERMIT is required to harvest an alligator. All persons accompanying or assisting an alligator permit holder will need a valid hunting license. A free permit is available for Lifetime Sportsman’s License , Disability Sportsman’s License, Disability Hunting License, Honorary License, and Optional Youth Sportman’s License holders selected for an Alligator Quota hunt.

Anyone got some sound legal advice for those asking??? My comment was buy the $75 Permit and that's the cheapest part of the trip!

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
PREPARING FOR THE HUNT
LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Hunters and hunting assistants 16 years old or older must possess an alligator hunting license prior to hunting alligators, in addition to a valid small game hunt- ing license. A Wildlife Management Area (WMA) license is required if hunting on a WMA. Lifetime and honorary license holders are exempt from these require- ments.

Even though the "additional information" of the current link goes to a gator pamphlet that information was put out in 2011. This year the regs say that everyone needs a hunting license... only the permit holder needs the gator license which can be free if you have a lifetime, disabled, honorary or youth license.

http://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/alligator

Freedom22, do you have a permit this year? Like 1982ace, I don't even see an alligator license as an option on my account or my sons' accounts. We didn't get picked so it look like it's may not even be an option except to those who got picked.

I found nothing in the regs saying that the permits would not be mailed out until a permit was acquired and hopefully everyone who gets picked reads the email that Ryan referred to. I bet there will be a bunch of people wondering why their tag didn't just show up in the mail like past years.

ryan_beasley

Hot Off The Press

According to Ms. Kay of Zone 7 GDNR LE Division, via GDNR headquarters on the phone this morning....

If you get drawn, you need the Alligator Hunting Permit ($75)

If you are assisting in the hunt, you just need a hunting license. ($15 small game since alligator actually falls under small game).

The Alligator Hunting Permit is only offered to tag holder that got drawn.

That's why we're here guys! We'll make sure to look out for everybody. So... What else do we need to iron out??? :fine:

Yet another

According to Ms. Kay of Zone 7 GDNR LE Division, via GDNR headquarters on the phone this morning....

If you get drawn, you need the Alligator Hunting Permit ($75)

If you are assisting in the hunt, you just need a hunting license. ($15 small game since alligator actually falls under small game).

The Alligator Hunting Permit is only offered to tag holder that got drawn.

That's why we're here guys! We'll make sure to look out for everybody. So... What else do we need to iron out??? :fine:

Yet another great post. Thanks Ryan :)

FREEDOM22

well heck

Danny I did get drawn, so perhaps there is something to this mystery????
I have already logged on and purchased my $75 license.

And you are correct, the only place that I have seen the words'' they will not mail a tag until the person who drew a tag buys a license is on the email'' or something like that.

So if someone got excited and didn't read the email and is sitting around waiting and checking the mail, they may be disappointed.

I predict that some one will post a thread after a few weeks that they didn't get their tags....:biggrin2:

Even though the "additional information" of the current link goes to a gator pamphlet that information was put out in 2011. This year the regs say that everyone needs a hunting license... only the permit holder needs the gator license which can be free if you have a lifetime, disabled, honorary or youth license.

http://georgiawildlife.com/hunting/alligator

Freedom22, do you have a permit this year? Like 1982ace, I don't even see an alligator license as an option on my account or my sons' accounts. We didn't get picked so it look like it's may not even be an option except to those who got picked.

I found nothing in the regs saying that the permits would not be mailed out until a permit was acquired and hopefully everyone who gets picked reads the email that Ryan referred to. I bet there will be a bunch of people wondering why their tag didn't just show up in the mail like past years.

Latest posts