Timber Cutting Time

Jim Boyd

the tract we have with timber stayed the same the tract that was clear cut went up Jim

Yeah, if it is timber company land, hard to figure out the why’s and wherefore’s.

Good luck sir!!!!

ucfireman

Timber companies see that folks like clear cuts because they know deer will be there and charge more.
Timber companies I wonder if they make more off deer leases than they do on the timber.
Figure 15/ac per year, lease x 20 years= 300/ ac over that time.
And do nothing other than pay their reduced taxes.
What do they really make for pine chip and saw or pulp or whatever, after the costs of harvest? fuel, equipment or paying a company to cut it.
I would be curious to really know.

Jim Boyd

Timber companies see that folks like clear cuts because they know deer will be there and charge more.
Timber companies I wonder if they make more off deer leases than they do on the timber.
What do they really make for pine chip and saw or pulp or whatever, after the costs of harvest? fuel, equipment or paying a company to cut it.

My buddy select cut 70% 24 acres and made $36k +

And it had been select cut about 10-12 years earlier.

The timber is the money.

I am sure, as it should be, that both are in the profit equation.

Same as you and I would do

Jim Boyd

IMG_4791.jpegIMG_4790.jpegIMG_4787.jpegIMG_4789.jpegIMG_4786.jpegIMG_4784.jpegIMG_4782.jpegIMG_4781.jpegIMG_4780.jpegMan, this is now opened up !

I see some serious lane planting coming up, the sun is going to pour into these areas

The did not so much as TOUCH our food plot areas.

Bravo!!!!

Excited!!!!!

Jim Boyd

Was it hard for him to find a logger to cut a small track like that ?

The equipment was on a neighbors farm that was close so they just came over to this area.

mwood1985

Every time we've thinned pines on my family land we've killed deer well. Opens up alot of green for them to forage on. The South Carolina low country beanfield rifles is what I learned on as a kid. 10 years old and a 300 yard shot in the open fields and open pines. Send it. And plant foodplots. Long as they have water food and bedding areas they won't go far

Jim Boyd

Cant wait to get up there and check it out. It does look like they were very considerate of the establishment!

I see multiple diagonal lanes to our main plot. Some clean up involved but it is not awful.

Great areas for canebrakes and copperheads to hide now…. @Nicodemus will advise us the tread lightly!!!

It is messy right now but it will settle down.

Brad may spray to kill the foliage and that could kill our clover

@doomtrpr_z71 may know if we can get him to comment.

doomtrpr_z71

I see multiple diagonal lanes to our main plot. Some clean up involved but it is not awful.

Great areas for canebrakes and copperheads to hide now…. @Nicodemus will advise us the tread lightly!!!

It is messy right now but it will settle down.

Brad may spray to kill the foliage and that could kill our clover

@doomtrpr_z71 may know if we can get him to comment.
Depends on what they spray, can you get the chem list?

ddd-shooter

Got the mulcher scheduled back for me to use it this summer.

Starting a project with 60 chestnut trees this weekend.

I don’t really have anywhere to put them all - looks like they want a 40’ spacing - so I gotta open up some more ground.

Some are promised to @SCDAWG and I am sure I will give some others away.

That is…. If they make and grow.
Where did you get your chestnuts, and what kind are they?

shotgunhales

hunting leases might pay the taxes

Jim Boyd

Where did you get your chestnuts, and what kind are they?

Sorry for delays, sir.

Got them from Etsy but many floated.

They sent me more free but before I could determine if they would sprout, the squirrels got ‘em.

Jim Boyd

One of my other landowners is gonna cut 46 acres this spring also.

Timber manager called me and provided great heads up and a map.

Owner is worried it will screw up the turkey hunting.

We are all good!!!!!

Jim Boyd

Our Government is charging landowners more than ever for property taxes. Even under CUVA…it’s a lot. GA has the highest in the SouthEast….so landowners pass it on.

I can’t comment on Georgia but on our side of the river - the taxes are not fun but the ag exemption keeps them in check.

Soon as we sell the lexington house (this year) and live at the farm, we can homestead there and take the taxes even further down.

I don’t think the deal is unfair at all.

Would be glad if they lowered the taxes but we all know that ain’t gonna happen.

The absolute joy I get from being on our farm MORE than offsets the costs.