Took my father in law for the first time and this happened....

BigMassiveDaddy

My father in law, who doesn't hunt, wanted to go sit with a pair of binoculars on a food plot. So I put him on a 3 acre food plot 200 yards from camp. That afternoon, I saw 2 deer and my wife saw 7 (two small bucks and the rest does). When my father in law was asked, he said he quit counting after two dozen. He said there were 6-8 bucks and he motioned that the largest was 20 inches and said it had too many points to count.

That drives me nuts. When I showed him a 120 inch rack, he said the biggest buck was much bigger than that. And this man does not pull a person's leg. He's always serious and doesn't even know the difference, to us hunters, between a 4 pointer or a 10 pointer. To him a buck is a buck.

Why does stuff like this always happen?

Heathen

Why does this happen

Those deer knew he was unarmed why else would they have been there. ::ke:

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
That's easy, he didn't have a rifle in his hand!!!!!

I know some people, and this happened to them one time. The dad asked his son if he wanted to sit in a particular stand with him and he'd video tape the hunt.

The son elected to sit in another stand so the father climbed up in the stand with just his camcorder.

He videoed an absolute monster. A lot of people have seen the tape and swear the 10pt would score in the 160's. This happened in Taylor C. a few years back. The buck stepped out in a brand new clearcut and meandered around not more than 70yds away for a few minutes.

I would have been sick if I were his son!!!! :banginghe

Tommy

BigMassiveDaddy

Thomas

A guy that goes to my church said the same thing happened on his land in Taylor Co. Bet it's the same story. It involves a family from our home town of Conyers.

Walkie Takie

It's alway's like that ///////////////

I.am telling you. that the way it's goes , all the time you hear story's like your 's or ( father in law ) deer can tell ( when your in the killing mode ) and when your not. that's why
I try to read when I'am on the stand it's come's me down and is relaxing also , keep me from moving alot and the deer I see are alot more relaxed also , good luck w/t

Bucky T

GONetwork Member
massivedaddy,

Funny, the people I told you about were from Conyers as well. They no longer live in Conyers but did for over 20yrs. I'm a Conyer's native myself.

Tommy

leadoff

GONetwork Member
I have actually devised an equation that explains the occurence of strange phenomena such as what you experienced this weekend.

We assume there are four principles that apply to Murphy's Law here, so we will assign each the amount "X" and base the weight according to factors shown on the irony chart:

Taking father-in-law hunting = 8x
Stand proximity to camp = 3x
Unarmed hunter = 5x
First time hunter = 7x

To determine the amount for "X" we must calculate the deer factor. In the above mentioned scenario, "X" will be the number of deer seen expressed as a ratio of number of bucks seen divided by number of does seen. If a "monster" is reported, then the final ratio is doubled. The hunter saw "over a dozen" deer, so we will say 14. Six to eight bucks were reported, so we will say of those 14, 7 were bucks. That gives us a 1:1 ratio with a monster reported which brings the amount of "X" to 2.

The equation goes:

Level of irony = 8(2) + 3(2) + 5(2) +7(2)

Because of the multiple factors involved in this scenario, you come up with an extremely high irony rating of 46!!! :)

To put this into perspective the following scenario has a rating of 62: You take your new girlfriend hunting, you develop a bad case of diahrrea, you jump a ten-point as you are trampling through the brush to find a spot to relieve yourself, your hunting date kills the ten-point, she then dumps you two weeks later and marries the taxidermist. :p

BigMassiveDaddy

thomas

The one's I know went to Heritage and now live in Covington. David is a landscaper which gives him time to hunt in the fall. Right now, he's taking about 14 days off to hunt and I'm sure is having a great time.

And I went to Rockdale and graduated in '91.

kcausey

Banned
First Time I took my Nephew Hunting...

I sat him in a nice ladder stand, shooting rest, padded seats, all bells and whistles. I went down a bottom, within 50 yards of him, told him to watch those three fresh scrapes in front of him at 40 yards or so. I had been hunting there all year, never seen big boy. well, after about an hour, i saw a set of legs (deer) heading towards the scrapes....then caught a glimpse of the rack, appeared to be the 10 pointer 1/2 our club had seen running the clearcuts...was said to be about 140". i didnt have a clear shot anyway, but i was just waiting to hear his 30-30 fire off.....deer freshened the scrape, and made a rub, walked away. Two more decent bucks, 10 minutes later, sparred a bit right near the scrapes, from what i could tell, not big enough for me to shoot, but would have been perfect for his first deer........they went on, still no shot......at dark, i went to get him. I asked him why he didn't shoot any of those deer....."uh, you woke me up when you whistled at me." Just couldnt believe myself....he slept through a buck of a lifetime....sickening huh?

H

HT2

Bmd.......

That's just the way it is!!!!!!!!

You're kinda like me.......

If'n it wasn't for "BAD LUCK", I wouldn't have "ANY"!!!!!!! :bounce: