Totaled out vehicle ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Quick easy question , if you get in a wreck or a tree falls on your vehicle and you take it to a body shop as referred to by insurance company . And it’s deemed totaled who gets vehicle or who has first option to purchase it , thanks !

antharper

Staff member
Insurance company. Most the time they have a buyer who gets several at the time.
Just what I’ve heard. Every case can be different.
I could have worded that differently . I know the insurance company that pays for it would own it . I was curious who gets the opportunity to purchase it from them . I think you answered that also , thanks .

You do get option to buy it from them or if money is owed you can pay it off and settle the difference between the insurance company and keep it or let them pay you and they take it

Duff

My FIL was hit in the rear and totaled his truck. He asked the insurance company about him buying it. They were glad to sell it to him for almost nothing. He was told it couldn't be driven on the highway because he would not be able to buy a tag again.

Anyway, he bought it and uses it for a farm truck now.

I would check and see what are the options for getting it back on the highway legally if you did purchase.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Quick easy question , if you get in a wreck or a tree falls on your vehicle and you take it to a body shop as referred to by insurance company . And it’s deemed totaled who gets vehicle or who has first option to purchase it , thanks !
Standard process - Insurance company will pick it up and auction it off.

It’s definitely worth asking if you can buy it.

If it’s totaled in Georgia you’ll get a salvage title.

Last edited:

westcobbdog

along those lines make sure you file a claim for diminished value after said claim is settled.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Ant I’m sure you know this but, totaled doesn’t always mean the car isn’t repairable. It means the cost to repair exceeds a set percentage of the value of the vehicle.

Example
Vehicle value $20k
Repair cost $15k
= totaled.

antharper

Staff member
Ant I’m sure you know this but, totaled doesn’t always mean the car isn’t repairable. It means the cost to repair exceeds a set percentage of the value of the vehicle.

Example
Vehicle value $20k
Repair cost $15k
= totaled.
Yes , got a call from insurance Friday. They did total it . Adjuster said nothing was bad just the damage was all over . If they’ll sale it back at the right price I may try to purchase it . I’ve been told it’s aggravating getting it back on the road so we’ll see .

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Yes , got a call from insurance Friday. They did total it . Adjuster said nothing was bad just the damage was all over . If they’ll sale it back at the right price I may try to purchase it . I’ve been told it’s aggravating getting it back on the road so we’ll see .

Find someone who does paint and body work professionally that also has a home shop. Could be a win-win.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
if it is totalled it will have to be inspected by a state licensed inspector before it can be put back on the street. There are a lot of requirements for the inspection, and you have to pay them to come and inspect the car. The last I heard, it had to be inspected at the address on the title, not at the shop where it was being repaired. And you can't drive it on the street. So that means a tow bill from the shop to the address on the title, and then a tow back to the shop to finish the repairs. Nothing can be painted on the repaired area before the inspection if there is welding and such done. All the safety items will have to be completed, like air bags, or it won't pass... Like I said, lots and lots of requirements on the repair.

Oldstick

Yes, EXTREMELY aggravating if the vehicle was registered and you live in GA. You can thank your state legislators who had the car repair and dealership industries in their pockets for those laws that got passed a few years ago. The same GA legislators responsible for the law requiring any person buying a used car from a private party to pay the "value tax" before they can register it.

NE GA Pappy summed it up above perfectly. So be prepared for a bureaucratic ordeal. Unless you choose to just give the vehicle away to the folks that sponsored the above said laws. Then it is simple. Wonder why?......

Last edited:

tad1

I have a buddy that wanted to keep and repair a vehicle, and, like the others have posted, the process was so ridiculously convoluted that he could not go through it….
All the under the table politics of the auto industry…..
Remember Uncle Sam’s , “Cash For Clunkers” program?!
They’ve made cars disposable, just buy another one every few years. Insane what we spend on them.
On a related note, apparently the beautifully maintained classic cars in Cuba are something to see.

Darien1

My insurance company was about to total out my 2008 Toyota Tundra because some rodent chewed through the wiring harness. I had the feeling that the agent was in cahoots with the adjuster and that if it went through one of them would be buying my truck. I checked with my atty and he told me if the insurance company totaled my truck they were obligated to buy me another truck, similar year, milage and value as mine. I told my agent that's what I wanted to do and guess what. It wasn't totaled after all. I think the bill was $2500 and I paid a $500 deductable.

antharper

Staff member
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice , pm’s and a couple phone calls ! We actually had a very positive experience with our insurance company , Progressive . I know it’s due to these crazy times we are living in but we got almost 1k more than we paid for vehicle over 2 years ago . I took the advice from a couple very knowledgeable people on here and didn’t try to buy back totaled vehicle . Thanks

Latest posts