Trail Cams on Sale??

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
do u guys use alkaline or lithium with the blade6?

Many years ago, I tried the Energizer Lithiums on three cameras and they would not perform well at all and the cost was outrageous. I realized that I was wasting my money and I made up my mind then to only use Duracells.

I use Duracell Quantum Alkaline batteries on most all of my cameras and on the Blade X6 models, I get about 8-9 months on average and these are on very high count weekly photos. Most of these cameras average anywhere from 180-250-400 photos each per week. Several years ago, I started with Duracell Copper-Top batteries for all of my cameras BUT over the years, I have found that the Duracell Quantums work better than the regular copper-tops. I normally buy one pack of 48 count Copper-Top batteries for use on a few select cameras that are very low traffic areas and I also buy five packs of the Quantum 30 count packs at a time for use on all of the rest of my cameras. All of my cameras use the AA size batteries except one as this camera (a model N6E, 6MP solid black color) uses four size "C" batteries and this camera was sent to me by WildGame as a replacement for one that had a sensor problem back 4 years ago. I installed this camera in the woods back on a very high traffic trail on 10/6/2012 and it has been working 24/7/365 since that day and it takes an average of around 400 very clear, crisp colorful photos each week to this day. I always have to remember that on this camera, the memory card inserts reversed compared to most all of my other cameras. On this camera, I have continued to use the Copper-Top batteries because of the size "C" involved and they have averaged 8-9 months life over the past 4 years now.

On some of the Razor X10 LIGHTSOUT cameras in use on heavy traffic areas (approx 400-500 photos per week), I get over one year battery life on those by using the Duracell Quantums. On the first two sets being used on this model, the first set lasted 12 months and 1 week and the second set lasted 13 months. For some reason, the deer just love this Razor X10 LIGHTSOUT model because they will get right up close only 8-12" away and seem to pose for the camera a bunch. I actually posted several photos about this in the Trail Camera Forum a couple of weeks ago.

I test every battery with a Cen-Tech Digital Multimeter (from Harbor Freight) when it is new and also when I remove them from any camera as well. I try not to let my cameras run until the batteries are completely dead as I change the cards out most every week and I change the batteries out when they get down to only "one bar" of power left. Most of the batteries check at 1.28-1.30 volts remaining when I check them after removing them. I have found that when the batteries get down to one bar (in the range of 1.28-1.30 volts, the photos begin to be darker and the quality is not as good as when the batteries have a higher level of power remaining.

The new Quantum batteries check at 1.63 volts and the Copper-Tops check at 1.61-1.62 volts. However, the Quantums seem to actually last longer and hold that charge of power longer and will produce more photos on average so that the Quantums will actually end up being the best performer for the overall price. I buy all of my batteries from Sam's Club and ONLY buy them when they are on sale for $3.00 off per package.

One other thing is I do have a complete spare set of Sandisk 8GB memory cards for all of my cameras and when I change them out each week, I bring the used cards (that I have marked properly the T-Cam location) home and upload them onto my computer and view every photo on every card and yes it takes a little over 2 hours to do that, BUT this way, I get to see every photo on my computer and you can really see every detail in these photos and you have the luxury of zooming in to see more details as well. Then you realize which photos to keep and which ones to delete as well very easily. In doing this procedure, I clear each card so that it is empty and ready to be installed again next week in the proper location camera. Yes, it is expensive to purchase all of those extra cards for sure BUT it was worth it to me as I now have about 90 memory cards total.

Last edited:

rosewood

My Blade6's have been out about a year and a half with no water issues at all.

The BLade6 has a better design, it opens from the bottom instead of the front. The 2 Wildgame Innovations I bought last year break open right down the middle and open to the front. The gasket at the top was insufficient at keeping water out so I put a roof over them which solved the problem. Previously I had a HCO wireless game cam, it opened from the bottom, but was split down the middle where they put it together, it also leaked and had to put a roof over it. The water eventually ruined the remote control which is required to program it. So, it is laying uselessly in my reloading room at the moment. Can't find a replacement remote for it.

Rosewood

Etoncathunter

do u guys use alkaline or lithium with the blade6?

I use the red Duracell batteries. Not sure what they are called. I've had the same set in since March, with it set to photo until 6 weeks ago. It's been on video since 1st week in August and still indicating over half battery power.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The BLade6 has a better design, it opens from the bottom instead of the front. The 2 Wildgame Innovations I bought last year break open right down the middle and open to the front. The gasket at the top was insufficient at keeping water out so I put a roof over them which solved the problem. Previously I had a HCO wireless game cam, it opened from the bottom, but was split down the middle where they put it together, it also leaked and had to put a roof over it. The water eventually ruined the remote control which is required to program it. So, it is laying uselessly in my reloading room at the moment. Can't find a replacement remote for it.

Rosewood
That doesn't sound like a great design. The ones I have are Blade6s and Crush5s. They are all bottom-openers.

rosewood

The break open design is fine if they have a lip overhanging the gasket, however these did not. My old reliable Moultrie breaks open in the middle, but it has a lip overhanging the gasket and it has never leaked.

kbuck1

That doesn't sound like a great design. The ones I have are Blade6s and Crush5s. They are all bottom-openers.

I have 2 wild game cams. Both take great photos and batteries last a long time. Photos are better than any other cameras II have. Including 2 reconyx. But, the problem I have with them is the missed photos. Trigger is too slow and often times you only get partial photos of animals. Ive walked up to check cameras before trying to purposely trigger it only to find no pictures of me and batteries at full capacity.
Just last year I had one set up on a trail leading to some dropping white oaks. When I went to check the camera I found 2 cedar trees directly in front of the camera had been runbbed. Maybe 25 ft at best. No picture of a buck was on the camera. Thats just my experience. I just dont have confidence that I'm getting the photos I should be getting

rosewood

kbuck, check the sensitivity settings. If you haven't already done so. Most of these cameras have a setting that allows you to adjust it. Also make sure you do not have it facing into the sun. That can also affect the range.

Rosewood

rosewood

Here is the folders jug roof I put on some of mine to keep water out.

Attachments

• 20160915_141158.jpg
    20160915_141158.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 449

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have 2 wild game cams. Both take great photos and batteries last a long time. Photos are better than any other cameras II have. Including 2 reconyx. But, the problem I have with them is the missed photos. Trigger is too slow and often times you only get partial photos of animals. Ive walked up to check cameras before trying to purposely trigger it only to find no pictures of me and batteries at full capacity.
Just last year I had one set up on a trail leading to some dropping white oaks. When I went to check the camera I found 2 cedar trees directly in front of the camera had been runbbed. Maybe 25 ft at best. No picture of a buck was on the camera. Thats just my experience. I just dont have confidence that I'm getting the photos I should be getting

What Rosewood said on the sensitivity settings and the sun. And the way you set it up makes a lot of difference. If you set any cam up at 90 degrees to a trail, you'll get partials and missed shots. Setting it up facing down the trail works a lot better, and picking spots to set them where the deer are funneled in front of the cam. I like fence crossings, for example. I usually have at least a couple pics of me walking up to check all mine, never felt like I was missing pics much.

rosewood

Yeah, got tons of pics with the deer checking out the cam. Got lots of pictures where I swear the deer stopped to see the red light and would have never got a picture had they not seen that light. I doubt the "blackout" cameras really help anything. Deer are curious animals and a light on a camera isn't threatening to them, so they stop to check it out.

Rosewood

rosewood

The Blade6 took good pictures. However, it had some dark ones it took at dusk where it failed to switch to IR mode and you can't see anything. The day time and night time pics do look good though.

Rosewood

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The Blade6 took good pictures. However, it had some dark ones it took at dusk where it failed to switch to IR mode and you can't see anything. The day time and night time pics do look good though.

Rosewood

I have seen that same issue with several different brands of IR cameras. I think it's just the nature of the beast. I think at a certain light level for a few minutes at dawn and dusk, the camera doesn't know whether to shoot in daytime or IR mode. You can often lighten those shots up in photoshop and see what they are.

USMC091199

I am currently running 20 cameras year round and have used every model from reconx to wild game... In my opinion you basically get what you pay for... I have had the most success with the moultrie 880i and they take a very clear picture daylight or IR... as for wild game i have owned many and they do take quality pictures but I have ran into them only working correctly for 1-2 years and either totally stop working or just start having issues w/ flash going out or motion sensor going haywire etc... in the end it is totally up to you but would I feel a $175 camera thats last 10 years is better than a $50 one you have to replace every 2-3... as for deals check amazon... have ordered package deals of cameras on sale 10 at a time for up to 60% off

WestGaJohn

Just checking to see if anyone knows where best deal is for trail cams now. Looking to buy a couple new ones. Thanks

This quickly turned into a commercial for WGI cameras, but to answer the OP, for the most part everyone's experiences are different with different brands. I believe the electronics all come from China & are probably assembled there, so it's a crap shoot & don't expect one to last forever.

That being said, here's a couple I came across recently on sale. I don't have experience with either of them as I don't buy trail cams. I find most of mine already on trees in the woods. When they die, I just go find another one.

Cuddeback Low Glo IR Elite Trail Camera:
https://is.gd/FD5oQM

BROWNING Dark Ops Trail Camera:
https://is.gd/e4K7jc

rosewood

I don't have experience with either of them as I don't buy trail cams. I find most of mine already on trees in the woods. When they die, I just go find another one.

So you are the one.....

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to have my two back if you don't mind.....

N

NantucketShedHunter

Can I have my two back as well? One was in a lock box and the other was python cable locked to the tree.