Travel Baseball

Label Dawg

Jeff....

I'm talking about SPRING.
I considered playing him with the 8 year olds this past spring but decided against it because the talent level was actually better @ the 7 year old level.
As for the 9 year old rec teams....well, the word hideous comes to mind. All of the advanced skills kids are playing travel ball @ age 9 and 9 year old rec baseball is an ungly thing to watch in Forsyth Co.

Wills Park, Hopewell Park and Hobgood Park allow their advanced players to participate in a program called "Sunday Baseball". It's basically an elite, pre- All Star team that consists of the best 12 players from each age group. These kids start practicing when the rec teams start practicing ON SUNDAYS. They also play games with other parks "Sunday Teams" as well as weekend tournaments throughout the rec league season. These same kids also participate with their regular rec team for the remainder of the week (games & practices). When All-Star time rolls around these teams DESTROY all of the Forsyth Co. teams.

Sadly, Forsyth Co. refuses to allow any programs for the advanced skills players and are losing good players to Wills Park and Hopewell in ever growing numbers each year.

In my opinion, Forsyth County's stance against any form of competitive youth baseball is the only reason travel baseball is so popular around here. Until the county adopts a more pro-active attitude in support of advanced players this trend will only continue. I predict in the very near future rec baseball will cease to exist past the age of 8 in Forsyth Co.

Arrow Flinger

After reading your additional info, It sounds like a good situation and would be good for your Son IMO. 24 games is a good number. My Son played on a similar team his travel years and it worked good. I can't stand politically correct rec leagues. They do little to teach a child real baseball. Not just basics but also the concept of competition.

Duff

Label, sounds like your son does have a great gift. How, in your opinion, would he stack up againts the other kids in the 9 yrs old league-tallent wise. Top 10%, middle of the pac, lower part?

Label Dawg

Duff....

Based on what I saw at the try-outs I would guess somewhere in the middle of the pack. Fielding hard grounders in the infield....no problem, with perfect chest high throws to 1st.

Fly balls in the outfield....no problem. He made every catch, including one short fly that he slid on his knees to catch. All throws to 2nd & 3rd from the outfield were made on-line w/ no one hops (his arm is so strong!)

He did swing and miss the first three balls thrown to him by one of the coaches (a little tardy on 40-45 mph) but he ripped of 5 in a row after that....just a timing adjustment.

On the mound he was impressive.....bringing the gas and throwing strikes!

With some work he could easily be in the top 10% within a few months.
Each year he is always by far the highest rated player coming out of evaluations in his age group.

horsecreek

no wonder hes doing good on the mound-- he got GAS....LOL :D :D