Trolling motor battery

Tomas1

I'm looking for a new battery for the minn Kota 50 lb thrust we have. What is my best option for about 150 $?

BoosterC

In my opinion the best bang for the buck is WalMart Maxx Deep Cycle group 29 or 31. Charge it immediately after each use. You should get a good 5 yrs out of it.

lastofthebreed

Been doing some research myself on batteries myself. I have heard good things about the Wal Mart Maxx Deep Cycle. Do either of you guys currently own one and, if so, how long have you had it?

little rascal

True Dat

In my opinion the best bang for the buck is WalMart Maxx Deep Cycle group 29 or 31. Charge it immediately after each use. You should get a good 5 yrs out of it.
But if you can afford it, Sears Die Hard is the shizzle! They last tooo long~!

JJJSDAD

Discharge the battery as low as you can before you charge it the first time to give the battery memory. I have a gp 29 performs well can run a mini kota endura max 50 pushing a 16 ft g3 john boat for a days worth of fishing and don't notice a power loss.

Bgreene1

Banned
Been doing some research myself on batteries myself. I have heard good things about the Wal Mart Maxx Deep Cycle. Do either of you guys currently own one and, if so, how long have you had it?

I've got one that I just got and I have one that I've had about a year. I bought one in 06 and just replaced it about 2 years ago. But my main reason for using them is no matter where I fish there's Walmart close so if I do have a problem I can go swap it out.

BoosterC

I have 3 Maxx's and a Deka. The Deka just went dead after only 2.5 yrs. 2 of my Maxx's are 2 months away from 5 yrs old. The third Maxx is 18 months old. It replaced a Maxx that was almost 6 yrs old.

riprap

When I went to get some 29's a WM the other day they were out, but the MAXX had a 24 month free replacement.

TroyBoy30

for another $20 you can get a 31 series agm

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/durace...rv-battery-group-size-31dtmagm/prod3590232.ip

0008399630001_A

screedee

Not sure, how good they are but Costco has batteries

for 75.00 and 85.00 respectively. They ranked 2nd in consumer reports. They also offer a 30 month warranty for that price, everyone on the boating forum I researched raved about them. Costco is customer focused, so they say there is no issue when there is an issue. Pretty sure, Costco batteries(Kirklands) are made by Johnson Controls just like every other battery on the market.

doomtrpr_z71

The Walmart one s are Johnson control batteries and most likely so are the Costco ones. I have 2 Max x one s and I also have two commercial tractor batteries that actually are older than the maxx ones and work just as well. Personally I would buy reman agm batteries from an interstate dealer. You can get two for less than a new battery.

hipster dufus

walmart maxx. it is more important to charge asap after running. my maxx was bought in feb of 07. use a smart charger. i will reiterate what was said walmarts are everywhere. lead acid has no memory. u can go crazy doing research. walmart and a smart charger. enuff said

Wander

I have had three Walmart specials and three dead batteries. I always recharged right after every trip. Everstart=Neverstart. I am on my way today to see how much warranty is left on my last Walmart. If it has expired I will be in the market for something else. I will never buy another one. Someone told me to look into a reconditioned Semi battery from Interstate.

Eugene Stinson

there is only 2 lead acid battery manufactures in the US. DEKA and PENN. All brands of batteries are made by them. Each company states at what minimum charge state each battery holds after manufacturing. (12.2 , 12.3, 12.7 ect.) They are sorted just like peach coming out the orchard. Most of the time better name brands cost a bit more because of their higher rating they demand. With the addition of optima now a flood of AGM batteries are being flooded into the market. I do not know who are making these. I am out of the loop now.
I would recommend AGM batteries. (personal preference I stay away from optima) I am running 2 AGMs one made in 2006 and one in 2008. Bought 2 in 2006 one went bad after 2 years. It was replaced for free. I may be crazy but the people that know me know I will stay in boat fishing for 20 to 24 hours straight a few times a year. 1995 Stratos 18 foot bass boat with a 80lb 24 volt power drive. Lowest % I have ever seen when I get home and hook it up has been 45%. Never seen a loss of power that was not do to circuit breakers doing bad.
Discharge the battery as low as you can before you charge it the first time to give the battery memory. I have a gp 29 performs well can run a mini kota endura max 50 pushing a 16 ft g3 john boat for a days worth of fishing and don't notice a power loss.

A lead acid CAN NOT take a deep discharge and survive long. Lead acid batteries do not get memories. Only dry cell batteries can get a memory. A AGM battery can take a deep discharge, BUT I would not push it low just because. Recharge your batteries as soon as you can at the closest AMP rate as you took the charge out. This will make your batteries last as long as possible.

Eugene Stinson

Update to an old thread

there is only 2 lead acid battery manufactures in the US. DEKA and PENN. All brands of batteries are made by them. Each company states at what minimum charge state each battery holds after manufacturing. (12.2 , 12.3, 12.7 ect.) They are sorted just like peach coming out the orchard. Most of the time better name brands cost a bit more because of their higher rating they demand. With the addition of optima now a flood of AGM batteries are being flooded into the market. I do not know who are making these. I am out of the loop now.
I would recommend AGM batteries. (personal preference I stay away from optima) I am running 2 AGMs one made in 2006 and one in 2008. Bought 2 in 2006 one went bad after 2 years. It was replaced for free. I may be crazy but the people that know me know I will stay in boat fishing for 20 to 24 hours straight a few times a year. 1995 Stratos 18 foot bass boat with a 80lb 24 volt power drive. Lowest % I have ever seen when I get home and hook it up has been 45%. Never seen a loss of power that was not do to circuit breakers doing bad.

A lead acid CAN NOT take a deep discharge and survive long. Lead acid batteries do not get memories. Only dry cell batteries can get a memory. A AGM battery can take a deep discharge, BUT I would not push it low just because. Recharge your batteries as soon as you can at the closest AMP rate as you took the charge out. This will make your batteries last as long as possible.

I said I would update this post when the time came so here it is.

Well it finally happened, one of the old girls is finally dying.
To my surprise it is the 2008 battery and not the 2006.
My ulterra trolling motor started dragging after a hard days fishing. The authorized service center told me it takes a little under 50amps to deploy and retracted.
[side note: I bought a new boat ( Nitro Z7) 2 years ago but took the trolling motor and the batteries out the Stratos and put the new Z7's trolling motor and batteries in it before I sold it. So I may have been working the batteries a little harder.]
Anyway, I checked my AGMs and the voltage was falling off quickly on one of them. So the 11 year old battery out lasted the 9 year old battery.
That would average out to $25 per year.
Will an Interstate (I was told they are the best wet cell marine battery) flooded wet cell battery($150) last 6 years?
If so, it would have been comparable to the AGMs I bought except for the adding of distilled water once a year.

I studied the DURACELL battery from Sam's after reading TroyBoy's post a few years back. The plastic cases and tops of it and my DEKA's are identical in every feature.
Identical to the DEKAs but cost $179.82 in Macon right now. The name brand DEKAs are now $300.
I checked the voltage of the batteries while in the store, they ran 12.4 and 12.5.
I bought 2 Duracells to replace my old batteries. After a full charge and 5 hour of sitting they were at 13.1 and 13.2 volts.
I think they will be just as good as the others.
I will have to see how they power my Ulterra trolling and the voltage after a hard 12 hour day of fishing and how many years these will actually last me.
Hopefully it will be another 10 years before I update this thread again.

TroyBoy30

i had great luck with mine. I sold them after 5 years when i upgraded to relion lithium's. The guys who bought them is still using them. I charged them with a charger that did not have a agm setting, but if you have one even better

69CA5751-4660-4AAF-A5A9-AFBA1135CBEE_zpscvglddt8.jpg