Trout Streams N. Ga

SarahFair

I'm looking to introduce my teen boys to trout fishing for a few days over their spring break.

It's been probably 10 years since I've last been, and then I was just hopping in the truck and going along for the ride, so Im not exactly sure where we were ending up.
Mostly Im pretty sure we went up 441 to Clayton, then hung a left, if you're going north. I think there was a big old cedar tree on the right corner after you turned, but wherever we went after that turn was still a long ride off.

Location wise I'm way more familiar with the Helen area, so I'd like to stay around there. We did a lot of primitive camping all up and down Chattahoochee River Rd. in my teens through my mid 20s, but never really fished there.
I saw people trout fishing some, and maybe saw them stocking the river a time or two up there, but that never seemed to be people's main objective in that area.

I'd like to give the boys a good chance at catching something, since they are beginners and I'll basically be starting over as a beginner myself. :sneaky:

Looking at the maps, Im thinking of going to the Unicoi State Park area, but I've never been in there.

I'd like a camp ground within reasonable walking distance to the stream, preferably a graveled site, like the ones at Low Gap Creek pay site, since camping isn't our main objective.

I'm struggling with understanding Unicoi's layout, as to where you camp vs where you fish.
It looks like you have to camp east of the lake, but to get to where they stock the river, we will have to get in the car and go south of the lake, which is fine, I just dont want to have to go way off everytime we want to fish.

If you want to go south of the lake, I'm guessing you gain access from Unicoi Bottoms Rd?
Is it designated parking, get out and hike to the river, or is it pull off the side of the road where you'll fit?

If yall think Low Gap offers a great trout fishing experience for beginners, Id much prefer to go there since I'm familiar with the area. :p

Thoughts?

Links so I can reference back
Unicoi Map
https://www.unicoilodge.com/ga-state-park/park-map/

Interactive Trout Map
https://gadnrwrd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=af50967627004b178ccd7264124fe5fd

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-091219_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-091219_Chrome.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20210330-102732_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-102732_Maps.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 21
  • UnicoiTrailMap2018-scaled.jpg
    UnicoiTrailMap2018-scaled.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Unicoi-Adventure-Lodge-GA-State-Park-Park-Map-Back.jpg
    Unicoi-Adventure-Lodge-GA-State-Park-Park-Map-Back.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 16
Smith Creek that runs down from Anna Ruby Falls through Unicoi is stocked weekly, I think typically on Friday. Same schedule for the Chattahoochee River. There is a parking lot just south of the bridge over the creek. I’m sure they stock from the bridge.

Attachments

• DFC06229-2B1A-48E2-9A14-53D02CC384B9.jpeg
    DFC06229-2B1A-48E2-9A14-53D02CC384B9.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 15

Fletch_W

Banned
Sarah, my memory may be corrupted but I recall many years ago you used to post about going to Sarah's Creek and/or West Fork Chattooga campgrounds just East of Clayton. Both areas are well stocked in season.

Doug B.

It sounds like you are describing Tallullah River west of Clayton. I would be glad to show you and your family how to get there if that's what you decide. There is camping right next to the river. There are some great places close to Helen too!

SarahFair

Yes, I found an old post of mine and went through a photo album on Facebook where I mentioned Tallullah River.
Looking on Google Street view the area looks familiar, I believe the camp site we used is the one at the entrance of the campgrounds.

I dont really want to go up there, it's an extra 40 miles me for each way and I don't know the area well.

I'd like to stick around the Helen area.

Yall think Low Gap Creek is fine, or would yall go to Unicoi?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210330-200924_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210330-200924_Maps.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 15

greg_n_clayton

Where have you been ?!?! I haven't read the other posts yet...
but I can help you guys out ! I will PM ya in a bit !

greg_n_clayton

Ok..I see Doug B has responded. He too knows where the stocked spots are ! Even though they tell ya where...those creeks still have out of the sections that a lot of folks overlook ! Sadly to say...I have never met him ! We have talked many times but it has not happen .....yet ! I am not gonna post such 0laces here or they would too be over run with folks. If you need us....holler ! Good to see you back my friend !! Hint....the stock truck guy is my neighbor !

menhadenman

Mom getting her boys out fishing, gotta love it! Saw this post after perusing this week's paper in North GA. Scanned it for you - I'd even call the hatchery for some insight. You might even swing by one so the boys can check it out. Looks like gregnclayton has you lined out already. Good luck.

NGANEWS.jpg

SarahFair

Where have you been ?!?! I haven't read the other posts yet...
but I can help you guys out ! I will PM ya in a bit !
Oh, around.
We're pretty heavy into baseball with the boys, and that's become a year around sport, but since we've sold off all the animals and moved into the downtown area on a quarter acre lot, Im noticing a heavy dependence on electronics for entertainment. Obviously some is fine, but its finding a balance.
They'll be leaving to start their adult lives soon, so I'd like to be sure and shove as much quality outdoor time at them as I can before they go ?

I've kept up with a lot of "senior members" here on Facebook, many whom seemed to be banned now ?
But I got off of there about 6 months ago, so I'll be more dependent on forums now for my Q & As ?

Jimmy Harris

Sarah, Low Gap could be your best bet. Right now, I wouldn't want my kids going all the way down to where it joins the Chattahoochee River as the river is still running high. Low Gap gets stocked heavily so you may have company but I know they put a lot of fish in there last Friday and may have supplemented it this week.

Shadow11

There's also a different low gap creek, which is above helen, that offers plenty of camping areas. A lot of people get this one confused with the one over near lake Burton.

They stock this creek regularly also, along with several miles of the chattahoochee just below the head waters. Not to mention you're only a few minutes from unicoi. Here's a link...

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/...tid=29&ttype=recarea&pname=Low Gap Campground

Last edited:

Robust Redhorse

Call Unicoi Outfitters, and tell them you want to do a public water trip and keep fish.

They might be all booked up, but they have guides who can do everything.

Wes and Jackson are great with young folks and public water.

They might start them spin fishing with worms, and have them being dry-fly only snobs by the end of the day!