Trout Streams N. Ga

MIG

You might want to try the trout stream at Moccasin Creek State Park. Very kid friendly and easy access.

https://gastateparks.org/MoccasinCreek

Took my daughter there yesterday. Got skunked. The hatchery is closed, (undergoing renovations) so I’m not sure how much restocking of the creek is currently taking place.

A couple of years ago I took her to the hatchery around Blue Ridge... they’d experienced a fish kill the week before. Can’t win for losing sometimes.

Fletch_W

Banned
Took my daughter there yesterday. Got skunked. The hatchery is closed, (undergoing renovations) so I’m not sure how much restocking of the creek is currently taking place.

A couple of years ago I took her to the hatchery around Blue Ridge... they’d experienced a fish kill the week before. Can’t win for losing sometimes.

Even though the hatchery on site is still under construction, they still stock it weekly from other hatcheries. Problem is you have to fish it really quick after the truck drops off or they are all gone, either to other fishermen or they swim off into the lake.

SarahFair

Little update

We went this past week and stayed at Unicoi.
Smiths Creek was a bust. The lower part was terrible for bank fishing, plenty of people there with waders though.
Upper part of Smiths creek is alright for bank fishing, but not a lot of fish, some areas are quite the climb in and out though. The day use area is covered up in people fishing or children swimming, not sure if this is a spring break thing, but its a very nice park just for that use.

My oldest FINALLY caught some Wednesday in Low Gap. He's hooked now. He was getting a little impatient not catching anything, but once that fish got on, the fever set in. I didnt think I was going to be able to pull him off the river.
Seemed every fisherman in the county was was in Low Gap Thursday, it was hard finding a spot to put your pole ?

We were going to stay an extra night and fish through Thursday, but forecast was calling for rain, so we packed up and went to the bottom of Low Gap for about an hour, got a few bites, but after his wallet got washed down the river and both boys were soaked from chasing it, it was time to go. ?

He now wants to learn to fly fish ?IMG_20210408_154141_284.jpg

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like a great trip . Wish it would of been better and not so crowded

44magpastor

Little update

Smiths Creek was a bust. The lower part was terrible for bank fishing, plenty of people there with waders though.
Upper part of Smiths creek is alright for bank fishing, but not a lot of fish, some areas are quite the climb in and out though. The day use area is covered up in people fishing or children swimming, not sure if this is a spring break thing, but its a very nice park just for that use.

My oldest FINALLY caught some Wednesday in Low Gap. He's hooked now. He was getting a little impatient not catching anything, but once that fish got on, the fever set in. I didnt think I was going to be able to pull him off the river.
Seemed every fisherman in the county was was in Low Gap Thursday, it was hard finding a spot to put your pole ?

We were going to stay an extra night and fish through Thursday, but forecast was calling for rain, so we packed up and went to the bottom of Low Gap for about an hour, got a few bites, but after his wallet got washed down the river and both boys were soaked from chasing it, it was time to go. ?

He now wants to learn to fly fish ?View attachment 1076048

Sounds like my last 3 trout fishing expeditions. I expect there to be other people, on public water. But sheesh....there were people EVERYWHERE. Ah well, so be it. Glad the young man got one.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Little update

He now wants to learn to fly fish ?View attachment 1076048

Great picture SaraFair!
Sounds like my last 3 trout fishing expeditions. I expect there to be other people, on public water. But sheesh....there were people EVERYWHERE. Ah well, so be it. Glad the young man got one.

Absolutely. I have an older 90's model boat that I am looking to trade in for (sell and buy a new one) but prices are through the roof right now. The pandemic has pushed folks into the outdoors like nothing that I have ever seen. My hopes are that as soon as this winds down, there will be an abundance of outdoor equipment on the market cheap.