True or False?

ufg8r93

According to the GA Farm Bureau

GA ranks first in broilers (poultry, right?), peanuts, and pecans.

The internet rocks. :type: Thank you Al Gore!:rolleyes: :bounce:

GeauxLSU

Well nobody got all three but all three were mentioned.
Peanuts, peaches and pecans (which I wouldn't have guessed). Can't say if broliers is correct or not but that's no the 'P' I was going for and I thought it was Arkansas. Never the lesss, someone please persist with providing some thought provoking puzzles.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Peaches?

I don't think so.

What is your source? (I don't mean this in the smart alleck way it may come accross)

I believe we are third to South Carolina and Kalifornia these days.

ufg8r93

According to the USDA...

CA accounted for 76% of the "utilized peach production" in 2004....

Looks like GA leads in Freestone peaches?

Sticking to the GA theme:

First permanent (non-Native American) settlement in GA was where and who was responsible?

GeauxLSU

ufg8r93 said:
CA accounted for 76% of the "utilized peach production" in 2004....

Looks like GA leads in Freestone peaches?

Sticking to the GA theme:

First permanent (non-Native American) settlement in GA was where and who was responsible?
1733, James Ogelthorpe, for English dead beats. Don't know where though (Savannah?). Whoever does, ask the next one.

GeauxLSU

Jeff Young said:
Cajun?

I see where that states that georgia is known as the "Peach State", but I don't see where it says that we produce more than any state in the country.:huh:

Did I just miss it?
Hmmm, guess I posted the wrong link and now I can't find it but here's a another (different) one that says the same thing.
http://www.livesouth.com/Georgia/index.htm

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
From the State of South Carolina's website:

"South Carolina ranks #2 in fresh peach production and interstate shipments. Georgia ranks #3 nationally in fresh production. (At one time, one county in South Carolina could produce more commercially-grown fresh peaches than the entire state of Georgia.)"

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
From the Georgia Department of Agriculture website:

Peaches

Georgia's peach industry has a long tradition. The first peaches were planted in the state in the eighteenth century,
Courtesy of Georgia Department of Economic Development
Peaches
and the first commercial production occurred in the mid-nineteenth century. In 2003 Georgia ranked third nationally in acreage devoted to peaches (with more than 6,070 hectares, or 15,000 acres) and in production (behind California and South Carolina).

Franciscan monks introduced peaches to St. Simons and Cumberland islands along Georgia's coast in 1571. By the mid-1700s peaches and plums were cultivated by the Cherokee Indians. Before the Civil War increasing numbers of home orchards also were planted. Raphael Moses, a planter and Confederate officer from Columbus, was among the first to market peaches within Georgia in 1851 and is credited with being the first to ship and sell peaches successfully outside of the South. His method of shipping peaches in champagne baskets, rather than in pulverized charcoal, helped to preserve the flavor of the fruit and contributed to his success. Considerable expansion of peach acreage occurred in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, resulting in an all-time high production of almost 8 million bushels by 1928. Since then production has decreased to about 2.6 million bushels annually.

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
Georgia's Top 10 Commodities (note the absence of Peaches):

Commodity Farm Gate Value % of Georgia Total
Broilers $3,344,564,818 33.92%
Cotton $804,350,843 8.16%
Timber $547,412,057 5.55%
Eggs $482,957,791 4.90%
Horses $376,252,500 3.82%
Beef $368,494,810 3.74%
Peanuts $364,846,048 3.70%
Greenhouse $252,070,467 2.56%
Dairy $240,314,453 2.44%
Container nursery $171,569,312 1.74%

# Source: 2003 Georgia Farm Gate Value Report, Center for Agribusiness and Economic Development, University of Georgia

ufg8r93

GeauxLSU said:
1733, James Ogelthorpe, for English dead beats. Don't know where though (Savannah?). Whoever does, ask the next one.

Savannah, indeed. Hard to stomach the history of GA as an English penal colony and one founded by debtors...:eek:

Oh well, from humble beginnings....

ufg8r93

Dang, Jeff...

GeauxLSU said:
OK, Georgia's number 3! :whip:
Answer Gator's question for crying out loud. :p

Jeff seems to like rubbing your nose in it, huh GeauxLSU?:rofl:

GeauxLSU

Jeff Young said:
Georgia's Top 10 Commodities (note the absence of Peaches)
You're annoying. You are singlehandedly, despite my best concerted efforts, preventing me from completely getting over my disdain for dawg fans.

GeauxLSU

The longest and shortest live in Georgia.

Don't think this was supposed to be a chain thread but since it apparently has become one....
What mammals (which yes, is a resident of Georgia) have the world's shortest and longest life spans (again, for a mammal)?

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
ufg8r93 said:
Savannah, indeed. Hard to stomach the history of GA as an English penal colony and one founded by debtors...:eek:

Oh well, from humble beginnings....

Not to split hairs, but St. Mary's, Georgia was settled in the mid 1500's by the French and Spanish and is the second oldest settlement in North America.

:D

Mechanicaldawg

Roosevelt Ranger
GeauxLSU said:
Don't think this was supposed to be a chain thread but since it apparently has become one....
What mammals (which yes, is a resident of Georgia) have the world's shortest and longest life spans (again, for a mammal)?

I think I'll just wait and see if you actually know the correct answer this time!:rofl:

GeauxLSU

Jeff Young said:
I think I'll just wait and see if you actually know the correct answer this time!:rofl:
Chicken....
And no, that's not the answer to the question.