Upper Chattahoochee

I'd like to fish the upper chattahoochee for shoalies over the holiday weekend. The outfitter is closed. Is there another shuttle service operating on the river and what section do you recommend this time of year. I'll be in a Vibe SG 110

Jimmy Harris

Unfortunately, there is no other shuttle service available. You may want to consider walking in at Buck Shoals and wade fishing. Or, you can put in at Mossy Creek and paddle upstream for as far as you feel like paddling and fish back down. You can also put in at the DNR launch at Hwy. 115 and paddle upstream. to fish back down. I would wear waders as you will have to get out and pull your kayak over some shoals.

Phoda

Unfortunately, there is no other shuttle service available. You may want to consider walking in at Buck Shoals and wade fishing. Or, you can put in at Mossy Creek and paddle upstream for as far as you feel like paddling and fish back down. You can also put in at the DNR launch at Hwy. 115 and paddle upstream. to fish back down. I would wear waders as you will have to get out and pull your kayak over some shoals.
Jimmy, how is the shoalie/bass fishing at Buck Shoals?

I waded it a couple weeks ago when the water was moving quicker/higher than what I think would be ideal, and came back with nothing. Any idea what the best conditions are for fishing the area?

Buckman18

Jimmy, how is the shoalie/bass fishing at Buck Shoals?

I waded it a couple weeks ago when the water was moving quicker/higher than what I think would be ideal, and came back with nothing. Any idea what the best conditions are for fishing the area?

I know you directed your question to Jimmy. I live 200 yards from the river, 2 miles downstream buck shoals. Its high and mighty right now. Would be near impossible to fish. We need several dry days near this part of the river before you would have a quality experience, in my opinion. We have received an unreal amount of rain lately.

The area around Buck Shoals is nice. You will have a good time, just let the river level come down some. A few days ago before this latest rain:
20200220_222359.jpg

Last edited: