Useless Billy duck n goose hunt success

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I have been wanted to go duck hunting for a while. My boy (15 yrs old) and I do a lot of deer hunting, and some pig hunting, but I haven't been able to get him on any duck hunts due to timing, no place to go, or whatever other reason. Met a few folks on here who are big into it, mostly in the billy threads. I've been asking them about different things on how to start because I kind-of have a place where I think there may be ducks. Last week TopherAndTick mentioned a short-notice useless Billy duck/goose hunt. I couldn't make a Saturday morning hunt, but he had a place where we could do an evening hunt and then a Sunday a.m. hunt., so I jumped on the opportunity.

We drove 4 hours to the opposite corner of the state to meet up with TopherAndTick and RedneckHunter31510, 2 fellow billys. Lots of birds were flying, and my son knocked down the first duck he ever shot at! Crazy proud of that kid (we had gone on a dove hunt in September and didn't cut a feather.......after 3 boxes of shells), but the duck dove under water and couldn't be located after a long search. That was frustrating, but still an awesome experience.

After several beers and several bowls of Mrs TNT's brunswick stew, I still couldn't get the image of ducks coming over the tree tops outta my head. I get the addiction, it is very, very cool.

Woke up this morning to thunderstorms and rain. I don't know anything about ducks, so I figured if we got rained out, the prior evenin's hunt was more than worth the drive. TNT said the radar looked like the worst was clear, and we could handle a little rain. He was determined to try and get us a bird. Very cool.

We got our face paint and waders on and headed to the swamp. Lots of ducks were flying, but either out of range or whatever, but there were TONS of geese. We learned a lot, mostly that geese are hard to knock down.....but, not too long into the morning my son pulled off an excellent shot and killed his first goose! He was a lot more patient than me, and was a lot more methodical with his shots, and it paid off for him. Man I was proud of that kid. Not much later TNT made a crazy good shot on another goose. To top off, buzz got the full experience by getting dunked falling in an underwater hole while wading out. 2 geese, 0 ducks, fantastic morning hunt.

I can't thank TNT enough for setting it up. Folks don't share ducks. That much I know. Being willing to let me and my boy shoot his spots was very, very cool. Fwiw, my son talked all the way home about the hunt, the shots, and how much he wants to do it again.

Sorry for the long post, just had an excellent time n wanted to share.

Attachments

• Buzz Goose.jpg
    Buzz Goose.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,103
  • Buzz N TNT Geese.jpg
    Buzz N TNT Geese.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 1,143
Last edited by a moderator:

Hilsman

Captain Gut Hook !
Awesome!!!!!!! Glad buzz can shoot better than his daddy.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
I have met a lot of good folks, had a lot of good hunts and made some life time friends from this site, even after I PCS'd fro GA.

Welcome to the addiction:cool:

T-N-T

I couldn't be happier for the boy! I'm just glad to have an opportunity to let a newbie and his boy get on an opportunity.
Killer delete helped me out once with some knowledge and I figured there is no better way to repay the favor than to pay it forward.

Yall should have seen the smile on JBs face when his son connected.

All in all, it was a great time.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Thanks W13. The folks I've met in the billy threads are some of the finest. My boy and I have shared many adventures with them, from flint river canoe trips, allotoona fishing trips, dove shoots, pig hunts, and now duck and goose hunts.

I'm definitely hooked on this waterfowl thing!

fish hawk

Bass Master
Awesome JB sounds like yall had a great time.Congrats to Buzz on his goose. Good deal T&T

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats to JB and Buzz!
Went ahead and rotated the pics for you.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Thanks Bama.

I'm passing along the congrats to Buzz. He's a good kid, and definitely enjoys this honorary billy stuff. All kind-a new adventures. He's def a better shot than me too.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Dave, that gun was given to Buzz by his grandfather (my dad), it has an adjustable choke on the end, and TNT opened it up halfway for him. 12 ga. Winchester #4 steel shot. The bird had flown over our head and Buzz spun and shot it over his left shoulder, TNT was giving the go-ahead so we wouldn't shoot until birds were in range. I'm not a good guess at distances, but it wasn't real close, maybe 15' back and 30' up. TNT's shot was a cazy long way off.......seemed twice as far.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Good job guys. Going to turn buzz into a huntin fool

lagrangedave

Gone But Not Forgotten
You got any more little Buzz's coming up, onct they reach 16 you can't do the youth hunts with them..................

Latest posts