War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gacowboy

GONetwork Member
OK, I am new to this thread so if this has been talked about forgive me.
What lifelong injury did General John Bell Hood get during the battle of Gettysburg in 1863?

:flag::flag::flag:

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
OK, I am new to this thread so if this has been talked about forgive me.
What lifelong injury did General John Bell Hood get during the battle of Gettysburg in 1863?

:flag::flag::flag:

He got injured and lost the use of his left arm at Gettysburg. His leg injury/amputation occurred at Chickamauga.
The Confederacy would have been better served IMO if he had not returned to service after the leg amputation. Many a good ole boy died needlessly from Atlanta to Nashville due to his inability to command effectively.
Some say it was pain relief medication. Some say it was his audacity and lack of sense. I lean toward the latter.

westcobbdog

After Hood slaughtered thousands of men during the battles around Atlanta including Atlanta and Jonesboro, even Jeff Davis told him to lighten up or he would get the whole army used up.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Three US Army bases in Georgia are named for WBTS officers.

Name the 3 officers, and a little bio of each.

NO GOOGLING :biggrin2:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Gordon, much wounded Confederate General who later became Gov. McPhearson, much loved and admired Yank General killed at Atlanta. Benning Ga general who hit the Devil's Den at Gettysburg.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Gordon, much wounded Confederate General who later became Gov. McPhearson, much loved and admired Yank General killed at Atlanta. Benning Ga general who hit the Devil's Den at Gettysburg.

Cigar to Jim !!!

And I know you could have given paragraphs of bio on each one from memoroy, but you didnt want to show off. :D

Your turn.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Come on now, it's a 50/50 chance on a pure guess.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Come on now, it's a 50/50 chance on a pure guess.

Well Jim, since you are going to be so dern tight with any sort of hint ::ke: and I figure it was out west somewheres that ole Kit was hanging out it would be a crap shoot as to his loyalty.

Wild West Guess would be that he were one of the good guys like our Grandpas were.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Which defensive action in Ga. was waged against Sherman's mob by regular Army, cadets from a Military school, and prisoners from a state prison.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
That describes the force set to defend Milledgeville, the Capitol, but I don't think they were actually brought into action.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
So close, but no cigar..... and the rest of the story is..............

Beyond the scope of my knowledge--

I know that the prisoners were offered their release if they were willing to help in the defense and that the kids from GMC joined in. I believe that there was no real fight for Milledgeville, probably so as not to give Sherman any more reason to destroy the public buildings there.

They must have stayed together as a group and either moved to the defense of Savannah or joined in at one of the skirmishes along the way to try to hold Sherman to as narrow a course as possible.

But the short answer is, I don't know.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.