War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Hey guys, sorry I havent been able to play much lately but I have read it some and think the game is going well

I wanted to contribute this for any of you interested. it is a link to a new electronic newsletter called the Stainless Banner. My understanding is that it will concentrate primarily on the ANV.

www.thestainlessbanner.com

westcobbdog

Joe Wheeler was a part of the ruse.

did he pull a Forrest and march troops back and forth in view and make up some bogus cannon for show?

I am currently reading March to the Sea by Scaife or a name like that..tried to find this story but couldn't get any info on it.

westcobbdog

I was in charge of Ft Mcalister and only gave it up to the Union forces only after getting wounded around 8 times. Had 2 wounds in one arm when a yankee colonel I think demanded the surrender, instead I whacked him in the head with my saber. His men rushed to his aid and shot, slashed and bayoneted me around 6 more times. I survived and was commended by uncle billy.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
The ruse used by Bragg against Sherman, short answer:

Bragg in a letter to a friend stated that he had ordered Wheeler to notify him when Sherman's infantry entered Waynesboro; to leave the telegraph instrument intact, but give the office the appearance of having been abandoned precipitately. Upon getting the notification, Bragg Waited a reasonable time for the Federals to take possession of the telegraph instrument, he called for General Wheeler and was answered by some Federals, when he transmitted the following: "General Wheeler hold Waynesboro at all hazards. Longstreet's Corps is arriving. I will take the field in person. Braxton Bragg."

This is supported by an interview of Sherman after the War and by an article outlining the same facts the Scientific American written by a person who claimed to have been a Lieutenant in Sherman's army.

Pretty neat article with bibliography in the Augusta State University library. I will PM a copy to anyone who wants it.

westcobbdog

If its not too much trouble I would like to read a copy..

Am I wrong, is this one of the very few effective moves Braxton made? He seemed to be very old school in his thinking, tactics, very stubborn, easy to rile, very easy to get in the dog house with kinda guy.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
There were several other general officers in Augusta at the time and the idea may have originated with someone other than Brax.

RBM

Okay. What was the western-most battle of the Civil War? Incidentally in the western-most State (territory) controlled by the CSA?

RBM

Well I tried to give enough time. The Battle of Picacho Pass was near Tuscon, Arizona. More of a skirmish than a battle but there were losses on both sides. Confederates tried to ambush Federals moving in from California but it was an obvious ambush point so the Federals split their cavalry force in half with one going into the pass and the other going around it. The ambush failed and the CS troops withdrew to Tuscon.

RBM

I said in my last message to the legislature, "Death would be preferable to reunion." My Capital was the only Southern capital east of the Mississippi still held by Confederate forces when Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia in 1865. On April 1, 1865, as the Confederacy was collapsing, I committed suicide. Who am I?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I said in my last message to the legislature, "Death would be preferable to reunion." My Capital was the only Southern capital east of the Mississippi still held by Confederate forces when Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia in 1865. On April 1, 1865, as the Confederacy was collapsing, I committed suicide. Who am I?

His capitol was unoccupied probably due to its geographical location. I think you are referring to Gov. Milton of Florida.

RBM

Florida Governor John Milton is correct. Next question over to you, Milk.

Milkman said:
His capitol was unoccupied probably due to its geographical location.

That and the defeat of the Federal campaign out of Jacksonville at the Battle of Olustee as Tallahassee would have been their next objective.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was a politician before the war and ended up as a confederate officer. My regiment was at the forefront of activity during a major battle which was a resounding victory for the Confederacy.
I was killed during this battle. It was rumored afterward that the injury I died from was from intentional friendly fire.

Who am I ?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was a politician before the war and ended up as a confederate officer. My regiment was at the forefront of activity during a major battle which was a resounding victory for the Confederacy.
I was killed during this battle. It was rumored afterward that the injury I died from was from intentional friendly fire.

Who am I ?

General Albert Sidney Johnston?

Not him...... Johnston was a career military man

RBM

Milkman said:
Not him...... Johnston was a career military man

The reason I asked was that not only was he killed and his wound though to be friendly fire but he was also Secretary of State for the Republic of Texas as a politician.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
The reason I asked was that not only was he killed and his wound though to be friendly fire but he was also Secretary of State for the Republic of Texas as a politician.

Oops, I didnt realize that about AS Johnston. Thanks for pointing that out:cool:

But the same scenario played out for at least one other Confederate General who was the commanding officer of one of my ancestors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts