War Between the States trivia thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resica

I was a politician before the war and ended up as a confederate officer. My regiment was at the forefront of activity during a major battle which was a resounding victory for the Confederacy.
I was killed during this battle. It was rumored afterward that the injury I died from was from intentional friendly fire.

Who am I ?

I'll hold off!:)

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Me too, only fair since we all had relatives nearby.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I was a politician before the war and ended up as a confederate officer. My regiment was at the forefront of activity during a major battle which was a resounding victory for the Confederacy.
I was killed during this battle. It was rumored afterward that the injury I died from was from intentional friendly fire.

Who am I ?

Well........... If there are no more guesses then this may give it to someone without even googling.

Hint............... It was a cold December day in northern Virginia when I was killed. Later I was buried at Oconee Hills Cemetery in Athens Ga.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I hear that he took a squad of men over the wall to clear Federal snipers who were sheltering in a dwelling between the lines.

RBM

I had to look it up as I am not familiar with all the field commanders especially not from memory. T.R.R. Cobb.

Here is a naval question. What was the first CSN screw steamer ironclad to enter battle when she fought Union warships on the Mississippi on 12 October 1861?

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Thanks Gents, It wouldn't surprise me if our ancestors were friends too. Yall remind me after someone give the answer and I will tell you about a book.

Tell us about the book.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Tell us about the book.

I may have mentioned it before, just dont remember. (Im sure you can relate) The book I mention is called "Grandpa's War Stories" by E.H. Sutton. He first served in the Ga Militia locally. After that term expired he joined up and was assigned to the 24th Ga.

His book give some personal detail about his experience. He wrote of things like the marches, stealing food, his friends who died, his dislike for TRR Cobb. He was captured at Gettysburg. Much of his book is about his life in two prison camps in Maryland.

It is a short small book of only about 80 small pages. I was able to get it through the local library system. They had to borrow it from Emory University Library. The copy I borrowed was a photo copy of the original book written in 1907.

RBM

JustUs4All said:
CSS Manassas.

:yeah: Next question over to you.

The CSS Manassas rammed the USS Richmond and damaged the Richmond severely below the water line but she sustained damage (mechanical engine, smokestack, and prow) from the impact. She had to retire under heavy fire from the Richmond and USS Preble at the Battle of the Head of Passes.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
She was an odd looking craft. While the Federal monitors resembled floating cheese boxes, the Manassas resembled a floating cigar.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
John S. Mosby and James A. Longstreet both did something afterward that would have been thought impossible during the War. What was it?

RBM

JustUs4All said:
She was an odd looking craft. While the Federal monitors resembled floating cheese boxes, the Manassas resembled a floating cigar.

Maybe but she was way ahead of her time. Low profile and sloped armor? How long did it take tank (armored) warfare to realize (relearn) the benefits of low profile and sloped armor? It wasn't pretty but it sure worked.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
No doubt that the Confederate naval designs were outstanding. If they had had the industrial might to have made them more reliable it would have been a worse war for the Federal Navy.

RBM

JustUs4All said:
No doubt that the Confederate naval designs were outstanding. If they had had the industrial might to have made them more reliable it would have been a worse war for the Federal Navy.

The Manassas was considered a small ironclad unlike the large CSS Virginia (aka previously USS Merrimack and the first steam powered Confederate ironclad) that was probably the most famous due to its battle (Battle of Hampton Roads) with the Federal ironclad USS Monitor that was essentially a draw (undecided contest) although the Monitor retired to assess the damage to her armored pilothouse from a direct hit. The higher profile of the Virginia was necessary to accommodate her battery of broadside mounted large guns making her larger and more of a target but she still retained the sloped armor.

Last edited:

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Yes, I agree. My comment was directed more at the sparsity of industry in the South that would have enabled her to better equip and maintain them. By the end of the War the North had Lots of Monitor type ironclads, something like 60 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.