WARNING, DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU !!!!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
Earlier this week, I got the most RUDE awakening possible. I HOPE THAT ALL OF YOU WILL CHECK AND DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU !!!!

Back on February 15, 1982, I took out a Life Insurance Policy on myself for a total of $50,000 and over all of these years, my intent was to leave something behind to help my family have something to help them to continue paying their bills etc. This was set-up on a bank draft with the premium being paid directly from my bank account each month, year, etc. With that done, the premiums have been paid right on schedule during the past 41 years now without any problem including the automatic monthly payment even paid on 1/15/2022. Of course, the original premiums started out much lower BUT over the years have increased to higher premiums on several occasions during these past 40 years now.

I absolutely came "UN-GLUED when I received a letter a few days ago that stated that my Life Insurance Policy would be NO LONGER IN FORCE as of 2/15/2022. To my surprise this is based on when I turned 70 back in September 2021, the entire amount that I have ever paid now belongs to the Insurance Company AND I HAVE NOTHING NOW that will be passed on to the beneficiary listed (my Daughter) as this was the entire reason for my Life Insurance.

I have been advised that I have NO RECOURSE in this matter. It was sold to me under the pretext that this policy would have to be paid during my entire life and at that time, my beneficiary would receive the proceeds as such. All of this paperwork has been stored away for so many years now and I knew up front that the monthly amounts would change to a higher amount about every 5 years and they have increased as such and so has the monthly amount paid to this Insurance Company.

Obviously, I am not an expert when it comes to Insurance Policies etc BUT over all of these years, after the original local seller of this policy to me apparently died, vanished or whatever, there was nobody else local tied to this (Name Withheld) Financial Life Insurance/Investment Company whose headquarters is located in Minneapolis. Back in 2017, I made sure that the beneficiary of my Daughter was in fact correct on this policy by contacting the Main Office in Minnesota and everything was correct with that information as I did receive the confirmation copy of this document. However, nobody ever contacted me to advise of any other details about this policy including the 70 year old stipulation part either as even since my 70th birthday back last September, they still have debited my bank account each month as of January 15, 2022.

I will be breaking this news to my Daughter and SIL later today and this makes me feel like a total failure in my lifetime effort to make sure that they have something to help them in there future lives.

I am sure not any kind of expert when it comes to insurance policies etc BUT I really feel like I have been "taken to the cleaners" and not in a very nice way either. The fact is, I don't know that this happening is legal or illegal at this point. I was advised on Thursday afternoon that I have no recourse on this matter. Either way, IT WAS AN EYE OPENING TIME FOR ME THIS WEEK.

I can only hope that others of you check your policies about the clause of turning 70 years old and loosing your "promised benefits".

I would welcome any advice based on others experience if possible and if any of you members here would use the private message feature here on the board, I would appreciate any input.

sinclair1

I have some term life that expires at 70. One cash value that goes to 65. We do not have kids and only covered for one of us going in the younger years. Kinda scary that it ain’t that far away now!
Hate that happened to your plan.

BassRaider

Happened to me. Got the monthly bill and was reduced 50%. Called and was told at 70 the payment is reduced. Also, the payout is reduced 50%. Not happy but no recourse.
BTW, I still alive!

Redbow

This happened to a friend of mine but he was never notified according to his Wife that his insurance had expired and had been for several years until he died and his Wife applied for the death benefit.

Artfuldodger

I think mine goes to 50% at age 70 as well. But it's really more important for younger families than older folks.

What about when a company is bought out? Like say United Services is acquired by Reliastar which then is acquired by Voya? But your policy still says United Services? Is that normal?

Plus none of my companies have local agents any more. They say the internet is my local agent, lol. It seems this is the trend with every company. Plus no paperwork, it's hard to get a paper copy of even an insurance policy that you have. I've got one policy number and they sent me a letter explaining what I have but it's not like an Old School Policy in the nice little blue folder.

basstrkr

Not an expert here but I would get my original paper work/policy and read every line.

You may have no recourse but the fact that you didn't understand this is how it was gonna work makes me think there may be something.

Hickory Nut

Sorry you didn't get full disclosure when you purchased the policy. It happens way too often.

Life insurance is simply this:
The Life Insurance Company is betting you are going to live and you are betting you are going to die.

With that said and having sold life insurance and other products for a reputable company, I would tell my customers life insurance is helpful for young families but should not be used as a savings tool. Once the kids are grown and you have yourself on solid financial footing, ditch the policy.

glynr329

A guy told me once that life insurance is same as gambling. You pay insurance company and they are betting that you will live to end of your coverage term. Never thought about it. That is how they get rich they play the odds. I was doing the same buying extra coverage but don't regret it because if something happened to me family would be taken care of.

specialk

Sounds crooked to me.
But I guess that's one way insurance companies stay so profitable.
I have no life insurance as I have no kids or significant other.
I plan to die owing a lot of money.

Yep, let the last check bounce....

Redbow

We have had term life insurance for years. The Wife is going to check and see if ours has expired come Monday but we were never told it would expire nor have they told us it has expired. I won't be surprised if it has.

treemanjohn

Banned
A very good heads up for everyone EE

People are living much longer these days. The days of retiring are 60 and dying at 70 are long gone. Unfortunately folks invest like that anyway. Life insurance has always been a hustle to me.