We are getting screwed in Decatur County - Season Dates

rjcruiser

B/c the state has an obligation to provide adequate notice. I (or other hunters) don't have an obligation to check every so often to make sure the state isn't up to funny business. And, the state works for us, not the other way around.

facepalm:So much for personal responsibility.

And I see, you don't even live in Georgia. So...you pay nothing to the state of Georgia (except maybe some local sales tax and license fees), and somehow a state that isn't your home state is supposed to work for you?:rolleyes:

Core Lokt

If the end date was November 10th would that be ok? Is November the month that most Ga hunters look forward too? I think so. All we are saying is in this small part of the state we miss a great hunting time while the bigger part of the state doesn't .

LonePine

The general attitude in this thread has made me lose any sympathy I had on the issue. And for the record, I agree that the season should probably be extended.

In this thread I have learned that:

-Season open and close dates are apparently controlled and decided by ATL hunters
-The DNR is clueless when it comes to wildlife management
-The DNR has an obligation to notify everyone personally of any meetings or proposed reg changes
-Because you didn't know about the meetings, no one knew
-There is a vast conspiracy among all hunters in other areas of the state and the DNR against the SW GA hunters

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Stated by an admin of GON who has a close working relationship with the GA DNR as revealed to me through a game warden. Y'all are just covering each others butt.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jeff Phillips

The general attitude in this thread has made me lose any sympathy I had on the issue. And for the record, I agree that the season should probably be extended.

-Season open and close dates are apparently controlled and decided by ATL hunters
-The DNR has an obligation to notify everyone personally of any meetings or proposed reg changes
-There is a vast conspiracy among all hunters in other areas of the state and the DNR against the SW GA hunters

I would add 1 more...

- We failed to participate in the process, but reserve the right to complain about it afterwards!

Kdad

C.Killmaster and other DNR persons on here have done what they can outside of holding everyone's hands and picking up, driving to all the different venues to inform the public. You say mail or email notification? Did you check off the box when you got your license on line from the comfort of home, drinking some suds?

I'm in agreement with almost everyone on both sides but a persons lack of effort to find info or to inform themselves is just ignorant. Each and everyone of us has something we enjoy doing and find info to learn more about what that is. So why is this any different? Blaming DNR for your shortcomings, absolute laziness and selected ignorance is ludicrous!

I was born and raised in Fl, lived there 43 yrs. I started hunting Ga when I was 22, met tons of great people and some shady ones too. I had to learn the rules and regulations in 2 states and did so as not to break the law. I wasn't hiding or intentionally trying to break the law but was caught twice without orange and accepted the result. I have paid and invested tons of money into Georgia's economy to help "YOUR" state in OUR country. So, your welcome selfish people. I have spoken to GW of Ga when able and asked questions or gave my view of things pertaining to hunting or fishing. They taught me lots of things I didn't know, guided me, and kept me straight. Thank you DNR! I visit their site a lot to see what changes or upcoming events they may have to just stay abreast of changes. I agree with breaking up hunt dates based on my knowledge of how the hunts differ in Fl. Being blessed with those experiences, I'm always looking at what I can do to help Ga hunters and outdoors families. It's my duty no matter where I'm at.

Together, as a whole, hunters helped change the statewide dates! So if you want to blame someone, blame yourself for failing to be at those meetings, writing letters or emails, calling and asking questions. It's all on you, not the DNR, you all had a chance and MANY opportunities to be heard and yet still chose to be silent. You chose the situation, deal with the results.

I will say as I have said before. You knew what the season was before you started. Hunt within the dates provided and do the best you can with what you have to work with. Here is a thought you said you have lower population in your area. If the rut is after the season and your not hunting guess what you know will have more deer to hunt see where I am gong with this . It was also mentioned high pressure poaching etc. do you think your area is the only one in the area ? Nope it's all over the place. The way this has gone in this thread makes me believe there is some selfishness going on. There is a whole heap of hunters in this state you will not make them all happy. The dnr is not gonna change the law for a few people. If it was me and I was in your shoes . I would either shut up and hunt and do the best I can or find another area to hunt that suits the way I wanted to hunt

I will say as I have said before. You knew what the season was before you started. Hunt within the dates provided and do the best you can with what you have to work with. Here is a thought you said you have lower population in your area. If the rut is after the season and your not hunting guess what you know will have more deer to hunt see where I am gong with this . It was also mentioned high pressure poaching etc. do you think your area is the only one in the area ? Nope it's all over the place. The way this has gone in this thread makes me believe there is some selfishness going on. There is a whole heap of hunters in this state you will not make them all happy. The dnr is not gonna change the law for a few people. If it was me and I was in your shoes . I would either shut up and hunt and do the best I can or find another area to hunt that suits the way I wanted to hunt

No I was referring to the other guy who only had 2-3 weeks to hunt. Was just making the point it was likely due to low population.

All in all I've learned from this thread and I apologize for how my attitude has came across at times. As you can tell, I'm very passionate about hunting. Yes I do wish I had known how to keep up with the changes, but I do know now.

1. Never said that, but they seem to have more influence and that's also evidenced in the responses to this outside of our area.
2. Never said that at all. Shouldn't outsource things to another state though.
3. Should just make improvements on communication and yes that does fall on myself as well.
4. Most I've spoken with had no idea of meetings or any votes.
5. No conspiracy. Just think it was a lack of input from hunters in our area and now it doesn't seem to matter.

No point in bickering anymore though. I appreciate the DNR for responding and the input from everyone. Still don't appreciate being lied to on the phone but it is what it is. Maybe something could eventually be done, but their research and opinion that 14 days past peak rut is enough for us tells me it probably wouldn't matter how many of us showed up to a meeting or what we said. But we can try.

Good luck to everyone on this last weekend. Just let a 2.5 year old 8 pt and 3 does walk.

I would add 1 more...

- We failed to participate in the process, but reserve the right to complain about it afterwards!

Haha only failed because I didn't know about it until last minute and I did participate in the vote and called in my opinion. Didn't know about any meetings but now I do. Never claimed to be perfect haha.

Jeff Phillips

Haha only failed because I didn't know about it until last minute and I did participate in the vote and called in my opinion. Didn't know about any meetings but now I do. Never claimed to be perfect haha.

Understood.

I really did comment on behalf of SW Georgia at the Lawrenceville meeting.

Last edited:

Blisterapine

I have hunted Decatur county for 24 years now. Almost every year the season ends and I still have some good rutting activity. It is frustrating for sure. I would love to see our area start a few weeks later and end a few weeks later. I also think it would not be a bad idea to have different zones and dates for start and ending dates for the season depending on the area .

This , agree!

Blisterapine

You have a deer season that runs from Oct 17-January 10, and you're not happy? You do realize that thre are very few places in this country with a deer season that long, or where you can hunt after January 1 at all? Our season here this year was November 23-Dec 12. Three weeks. With no doe days at all in most of our area. I'll trade with you.

Point is .. it closes during or before the fun starts. No need to call us out about it- you don't live down here so hush!

across the river

Had a buck chase a doe by yesterday. Glad we have 200 AC of the club in Fl. It's sad to be excited about the rut and depressed about the season going out in the same thought. Sure you can kill a big buck out of rut but I have a question. Why do all hunters take their vacation during the rut????

Because the rut is the only time of year most of the "hunters" who don't actually know how to hunt have a chance of getting lucky. Hunting during the rut is luck of the draw and luck is the only way a lot of guys can kill a decent buck. The guys who knows how to hunt and target particular deer usually prefer and have more success during the pre-rut.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
All in all I've learned from this thread and I apologize for how my attitude has came across at times. As you can tell, I'm very passionate about hunting. Yes I do wish I had known how to keep up with the changes, but I do know now.

1. Never said that, but they seem to have more influence and that's also evidenced in the responses to this outside of our area.
2. Never said that at all. Shouldn't outsource things to another state though.
3. Should just make improvements on communication and yes that does fall on myself as well.
4. Most I've spoken with had no idea of meetings or any votes.
5. No conspiracy. Just think it was a lack of input from hunters in our area and now it doesn't seem to matter.

No point in bickering anymore though. I appreciate the DNR for responding and the input from everyone. Still don't appreciate being lied to on the phone but it is what it is. Maybe something could eventually be done, but their research and opinion that 14 days past peak rut is enough for us tells me it probably wouldn't matter how many of us showed up to a meeting or what we said. But we can try.

Good luck to everyone on this last weekend. Just let a 2.5 year old 8 pt and 3 does walk.

Just an FYI on the outsourcing, the assessment done about the ending date options was handled in-house. The annual hunter surveys and opinion surveys for the deer plan were put out on bid. No Georgia companies to my knowledge put in a bid on those surveys. The company that handled them is Responsive Management (http://www.responsivemanagement.com/), and they have very extensive experience administrating these type survey for states across the US. Sure it would be nice for a Georgia company to handle those surveys, but there isn't one with Responsive Management's level of experience and price on natural resource surveys.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
How much would it cost to mail 300,000 postcards ?

Kdad

I said earlier that I agree with taking another look at zone/area changes, I've hunted over 27 years, hunted alot to almost barely making any woods time and for myself, I don't understand what the HUGE noise is about hunting the rut. Can someone explain what I may be missing. Don't flame at me about this because I do fire back. I'm asking an honest and polite question for this point of view just to understand. I get the fact that big bucks are on the move, increased stupidity on their part, easier to kill because guard is nearly down but I'm missing something.

If a person can't learn to be a better hunter to increase their own chances then I think it falls on them. We all like to hunt when it's cold but those days are getting slimmer, so we hunt when it's warmer. You gonna call Mother Nature and set her straight on that too? I've hunted Fl, Ga, Sc all in hot weather, got my 1st velvet in 97 degree heat in Sc. Sweat was pouring off, had my shirt off, spraying down about every 30 mins, but I did it.

I'm all for increasing my chances but it is what it is in the end and I do the most and best of it that I can. I think a person should be able to kill a deer or any big deer any time of the season. They are still in the woods, still moving, still eating...I.e. Still killable. I learned early on that if I wasn't seeing deer, spooking deer, missing deer that I was doing things wrong. So I had to become a better hunter, change some things, lose other things. Bottom line- I had to become a better woodsman to succeed to put meat in the freezer. I've done that...changed what I could on my end.

cowhornedspike

U'll

The reason I hunt is for meat. If I kill a good buck, so be it, I'll sure be proud of him. But my goal each year is to get four or five deer in the freezer for my family, so we don't have to buy beef or pork at the grocery store. Thats who I am and why i hunt. Of course i love hunting just as you, my goal is just lean protein

Based on this the rut date shouldn't matter too much to you since you are only allowed 2 bucks and that won't put 4 or 5 in the freezer and the does are easiest to kill early in the season (at least for me). The early closing date would affect a trophy buck hunter more.

This is part of my original point in my original post, in which many who have responded neglected to read apparently. I didn't find out about any of this until stumbling across that GON issue with the vote in it, and that was a few days before the deadline. I emailed and called immediately and they took note of it. How many people knew nothing about it? I would say the majority knew anything of it in SW GA. I knew nothing of any meetings that have ever taken place.

We just have to keep ourselves informed. I found out about all of those meetings because I keep informed and attended the ones in Leesburg and Thomasville. FWIW I told a bunch of my co-workers about them well in advance and could only get 1 to go with me even though several of the rest are now complaining about the closing dates...go figure.

Majority of the people in parts of the state who didn't understand what SW GA was dealing with. Also, majority of people who even knew about the meetings. Research and surveys performed through outsourcing to another state. The research doesn't even support that ending date for SW GA. This also effects the economy here. Later season beginning and ending in SW GA just makes the most sense. Taxidermists would get more business because more bucks are killed during colder weather and during the rut, as well as meat processors. Local outdoor stores also benefit because more people buy more products for the rut than they do for early season hunting, whether you agree with those products or not.

As I can already tell, nothing will be done because of the push back already received from the state and hunters in other areas.

You never did answer why the vote majority changed from the 15th (what the lady told me was overwhelmingly in the lead) to the 10th just a couple days before the voting ended? Blatant Lie??? Yes, I think so.

Just a FYI for those that don't like the 10th as the closing date... It isn't. That is this year...next year it is the 8th, then the 14th in 1/2018, then the 13th, then the 12th etc. The actual closing day will be the 2nd Sunday in January and that will vary from year to year.

Now for my opinion. I am purely a trophy hunter and only shoot does as needed for management purposes and always donate them to folks that need the meat. I would love to see the state divided into zones that would better offer the local hunters the opportunity to hunt the entire rut from pre through post. I am hopeful that the new system of kill reporting that will be starting this year will give the WRD the detailed info needed to begin heading us in that direction. We need to understand though that the DNR can't make many of those changes and those can only be done through the legislature. Those in SW Georgia need to continue to make sure they know that this is what is desired and maybe we will see that change at some point in the future. Be involved both by contacting your state senator and representative and taking advantage or each opportunity to provide input to the DNR at meetings, via email, etc.
I have spoken with both John and Charlie on several occasions and do believe that they, and the others at our DNR are the "good guys" and wish to give us the best hunting opportunities possible.