West Point lake HumminBird mapping crew.

dougfire

Partner and I made our weekly West Point trip tuesday . Put in at Ringers and head up river. Around 11 am we saw some strange deep V metal boats around Potato and New River. About every 15 minutes we'd see another one. Saw 4 of them just while sitting on brush pile. They are big heavy boats, with windshields! Went back to Ringers to take out around 3 pm. Got flagged down by a broken pontoon boat, pulled him back to the shore at Ringers. That big metal was pulling out. Talked to him in the parking lot. They are the Humminbird mapping crew. Six boats map entire lake from Brush Creek to the damm, in 6,7 days. Said he got stuck in New River 3 times, had to call for help. Also said he made it as far to where he could see the bridge. Should have taken pic of the boat. One-fifty Yam., had to be at least 21 foot boat, was not a Crestliner, no markings on boat or truck, Minn plates on trailer and truck. Young nice guy with a lot of stories. Yes he said they have to replace lower units regularly

ryork

I saw that boat yesterday between Ringer and Graysons Landing. Was wondering what in the world he was doing because he was in some awfully shallow water. Now I know, thanks for posting!

Whitefeather

Management Material
Partner and I made our weekly West Point trip tuesday . Put in at Ringers and head up river. Around 11 am we saw some strange deep V metal boats around Potato and New River. About every 15 minutes we'd see another one. Saw 4 of them just while sitting on brush pile. They are big heavy boats, with windshields! Went back to Ringers to take out around 3 pm. Got flagged down by a broken pontoon boat, pulled him back to the shore at Ringers. That big metal was pulling out. Talked to him in the parking lot. They are the Humminbird mapping crew. Six boats map entire lake from Brush Creek to the damm, in 6,7 days. Said he got stuck in New River 3 times, had to call for help. Also said he made it as far to where he could see the bridge. Should have taken pic of the boat. One-fifty Yam., had to be at least 21 foot boat, was not a Crestliner, no markings on boat or truck, Minn plates on trailer and truck. Young nice guy with a lot of stories. Yes he said they have to replace lower units regularly
Hope they don’t find all my brush piles

dougfire

what kind of boat were you in? we put in at about 7 am. he said he saw a center console run on a sand bar between ringer and Greyson around 10 am. guy had a girl with him, came to an abrupt stop. been there done that! we were in a silver Ranger , up there every week, like the last 40 years

ryork

what kind of boat were you in? we put in at about 7 am. he said he saw a center console run on a sand bar between ringer and Greyson around 10 am. guy had a girl with him, came to an abrupt stop. been there done that! we were in a silver Ranger , up there every week, like the last 40 years

Red and white Skeeter Bay Boat. We were there a little before 7:00, but had a battery issue and had to run to LaGrange to Auto Zone and ended up getting in the water around 8:00. I think I know the boat you’re talking about, they were still in that general area when we came back that afternoon. Definitely pays to know your way around up there.

GTMODawg

BANNED
If those guys are fisherman I bet they know where every brush pile and piece of fish holding structure is an any lake they have worked LOL. Luck scoundrels....mapping a lake and earning a salary while doing so...what a life. They probably complain about it like everyone else LOL.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
All the money (i guess it was the CoE) spent to try to fix Brush creek and Snake, total waste of money. I hate sediment

It wasn't a true waste. It did its intended purpose for a number of years. The problem with that is once you start it is a process you have to do every so often, and they weren't willing to do that. Honestly, the way they did Snake creek just compounded the issue. They left a sharp bluff wall that caused more sediment to hit and just fall out.

I've had conversations with them and they aren't opposed for Heard County to dredge it, but the COE claims they don't have the funding to continue dredging programs. Ringer isn't far off from being a full pool only ramp. That will definitely get some blow back from the community for as much as its used.

dougfire

It wasn't a true waste. It did its intended purpose for a number of years. The problem with that is once you start it is a process you have to do every so often, and they weren't willing to do that. Honestly, the way they did Snake creek just compounded the issue. They left a sharp bluff wall that caused more sediment to hit and just fall out.

I've had conversations with them and they aren't opposed for Heard County to dredge it, but the COE claims they don't have the funding to continue dredging programs. Ringer isn't far off from being a full pool only ramp. That will definitely get some blow back from the community for as much as its used.
Yes Ringer will be and has been in the past. Greyson area the same. Glad to have a jet!

Lindseys Grandpa

Saw them at Yellow Jacket ramp Tuesday morning . I don't see how they got that big heavy boat in New River especially far enough to see the bridge .

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Saw them at Yellow Jacket ramp Tuesday morning . I don't see how they got that big heavy boat in New River especially far enough to see the bridge .
All the time I've spent hunting on new river, I've been amazed at some of the boats I've seem up in there....above the bridge.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I had a house at Graysons landing for a few years. Back when the docks were usable yr round. Glad I sold it in 2009