What did you do today that’s related to deer hunting #5

frankwright

I conducted an experiment on keeping raccoons from deer feeders.

While researching to try to help an elderly lady with armadillos digging in her yard, I saw a recommendation to spray everything with vinegar to keep them away.
I did some more research and saw vinegar would also repel raccoons as they hated the smell.
I tied three rags soaked and dripping with vinegar on the legs of a tripod feeder that has a cell cam on it that I can access.

The vinegar and racoons is a complete bunch of bologna! I think it was a treat like salt and vinegar corn or something.

Attachments

• Coons on feeder.jpg
    Coons on feeder.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 11

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member

Because they are an invasive, from Asia. One of those I planted back in 1994, I started watching close back about 5 years ago. That tree was most prolific, and I let it do its business. The young trees sprouting off the parent tree acted just like privet. They grew up thick, real thick. Not a real surprise since they both came from the same continent. When I saw that I remedied my mistake. Now i just double my efforts in planting swamp chestnut oaks, live oaks, persimmons, hog plums, and crabapples. Trees that are native to this country.

True, most of these don`t grow near as fast as the invasives, but I`m in no hurry, and even if I don`t get to profit from them, later generations will. And the wild game will also benefit. I prefer to be a good steward of the land.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Went to Tractor Supply. Looked at some apple trees and a bar and chain for my sons Echo Timberwolf saw.
I will be going back for both products later.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Land across from me is being clear cut, 70 acres or so of it anyway. Still some younger pines left on the same tract. I can’t tell if they’re getting any of the hardwoods in the low areas. Be interesting to see how it affects deer movement to my side this fall.

Gbr5pb

Another possum! Train station getting a little smelly! 5 coons and 4 possums this year no wonder hen turkeys come through the yard with no polts. Neighbors hen doesn’t stand a chance