What Makes You Successful

BigBass123

Curious for the guys out there that are consistently on deer, what do you think you do differently than most that makes you successful?

buckpasser

Just developing a system based on correcting mistakes. Same as a consistently successful turkey hunter. I don’t believe there is a magic bullet or recipe. I know hunters who get it done by walking/stalking who have never owned a feeder, house stand or food plot. I also know successful hunters who hunt house stands with all of the comfort features and gizmos to bring deer to them.

A really good spot obviously makes it much easier to be successful, especially if a big old buck is what you’re after. I feel confident anyone reading this would smash a monster buck every year on Realtree farms, while most would be in trouble in the NF mountains, if that’s all you can get to.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Location and time in the woods ! Time in a tree is where I think most of my success comes from . And a little luck doesn’t hurt.
But nothing will bring consistent success without being a good woodsman

baddave

You asked so I'll tell you. I just happen to live on some of the best deer hunting in the state right here in Henry County along the South River. Have been for 34 yrs. I observe deer movement and lack thereof. I have gotten to where I can forecast the best times to go. I understand most don't have that luxury. When you can't go to your hunting property that is 2 hrs away more than once every 2 weeks it would be tough, I totally get it. If I was in that situation I'd probably be asking the same question. If so I would probably rely on just pure patience luck and scent control. I can't type enough to get off on that. Tip.. look and listen for other game movement. Squirrels, crows and song birds. My best indicator is my dog believe it or not

Blackston

Location and time in the woods ! Time in a tree is where I think most of my success comes from . And a little luck doesn’t hurt.
But nothing will bring consistent success without being a good woodsman
Tree time !!! My buddy that comes and hunt in November is usually begging to go back to work by the end of his stay here ….. he said I seen the pics of the deer you been killin but I hadn’t seen this !!!

Rebel 3

I always hunt the wind, don't over pressure areas, rarely scout during and just before the season, try to keep multiple properties to hunt, don't lower my standards even if it means not killing anything for the season, doing most of my set ups for the following fall during the spring. I don't hunt some of the best areas on the properties I hunt due to how hard it is to get in and out without spooking deer, or it is too unpredictable which way the deer will come from and I have to worry about them smelling me. I more or less hunt the fringes of the good areas. I generally hunt by myself or only carry my son, so I can control how much pressure is in each property. I also generally never ride in a property during the season unless I am getting a deer out except to a parking area not far in.

Last edited:

Doc_Holliday23

Simple: I kill more deer when I have more time to be in the woods. With young kids and a farm that is 2.5 hours away and a demanding job and family lifestyle, it isn't as often as I'd like. I will probably end this season with about 14 total sits (a morning or an evening hunt) over about 10 total days.

The reasons I have the (limited) success I do is because I know the property very well, it holds a good number of deer for it's size due to being a bedding haven, and the does are very predictable.

So killing a doe or two every year isn't difficult but killing mature bucks is all about being in the woods when they are moving during daylight. And that's really tough to time so you just need to be there as much as possible.

Oh yeah... when you get a chance, you have to convert. You need to be stealthy enough to not spook deer, keep your cool, and you need to be proficient with your weapon. Surprises me how many veteran hunters I know who are still a ball of nerves and miss deer with a rifle often.

HughW2

You asked so I'll tell you. I just happen to live on some of the best deer hunting in the state right here in Henry County along the South River. Have been for 34 yrs. I observe deer movement and lack thereof. I have gotten to where I can forecast the best times to go. I understand most don't have that luxury. When you can't go to your hunting property that is 2 hrs away more than once every 2 weeks it would be tough, I totally get it. If I was in that situation I'd probably be asking the same question. If so I would probably rely on just pure patience luck and scent control. I can't type enough to get off on that. Tip.. look and listen for other game movement. Squirrels, crows and song birds. My best indicator is my dog believe it or not
Great posts in this thread. Excellent reply from Baddave. Anyone with cattle can tell you when deer are moving. If cows are laying down the deer will be too. And yes, being two hours from hunting land is a grind.

Waddams

Echo'ing about scouting being super important. Learning to recognize deer sign as well as learning to tell whether it's a big buck, little buck, doe group, etc. Then also learning about deer enough so you know the terrain features they like, so you know where to spend time scouting and where to not waste your time. I scout during the season, the deer are always shifting and moving, I feel I gotta keep scouting without stinking up the area and pressuring them off. It's not easy!

Scouting also includes figuring out what food sources they're keen on, which changes too during the season. Generally, if find sign, look for the food sources, then look for the cover, and if you're lucky, you'll find a well worn trail or scrape or two. From there, make an educated guess as to travel routes they like between food and cover, and snug up to one or the other as tight as you can without giving yourself away via scent left that they'll pick up on.

In very limited sits this year, I saw a bunch of deer on all but one, and that was when I just sat the box stand over the big food plot at the club. When I went in the woods, I found them each time. It's my 2nd year in the club and I've got it scouted out to know about where they like to be and when they like to be there. I read somewhere 90% of hunting is scouting smart, 10% sitting waiting for the shot. It's working for me.

Edited to add - I also figured out big bucks like solitude. They'll generally parallel the doe and other little bucks instead of traveling on the main trails. They'll cut across the trails as well. They keep tabs on the others via scent but keep their distance. If I want freezer meat, hunt the main trail. If I want to go for a big buck, look for some kind of really faint trail downwind or uphill where rising thermals will carry scent, especially through thick cover. If you can see a long ways in the woods, you generally won't see a big buck.

Last edited: