What are you doing next year or changing?

shdw633

So seasons been over a bit and there is still a little time before turkey season to reflect, what do you think you will do or change next season from this last one. I was hurt the majority of the season so I don't see a whole lot of changing for me other than just staying healthy enough to get out there, what say you?

slow motion

Gonna set up a few more ladder stands and build a small bridge over a ditch in Illinois. Gonna try to get some clover established in Ga but as a farmer I'm lacking. Above all I plan to have an even better time than each year previous. Pretty tall order on the last goal cause mishaps or not I have a blast from the time I fill Pop's thermos before getting in the truck till I kick my boots off when I get back to the hacienda. Cool thread. Might give us all a few ideas. Keep folks busy. Idle hands as the say...

MYRX

I did not hunt any evenings last year which is funny because we have really good food plots. I plan to change that strategy. I spent too many days hunting in bow season and I hunted everyday of black powder season. By December I was burned out. This year, I might skip most of bow season. May not start hunting till October.

35 Whelen

May use some of the priority points I have been collecting for years to apply for a WMA or State Park hunt, but other than that, not a thing.

rstallings1979

Hoping to start doing more and more controlled burns on the property. I am seeing an increase in turkey population the last couple of years and I feel like this has to do a lot with me putting out more clover plots for them and me burning more and more . There is about a 50 acre natural regeneration portion on our property I wanted to get a burn on this year but there were few and far between weather days before the heavy rains hit. I know some of you probably do not believe in global weather changing but I can promise the number of days we have had humidity levels less than 40% have been few and far between since 2/1 this year and last year wasn't great either. The pollen has even changed. 10 years ago pollen really didn't crank up until around late march. Now its late Feb.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Last season I hunted less than I`ve ever hunted in my life, but that will change this next season. Got access to a place close to our cabin. Deer, turkeys, and ducks, in a big swamp. Looking forward to it. Especially if my health improves some.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Last season I hunted less than I`ve ever hunted in my life, but that will change this next season. Got access to a place close to our cabin. Deer, turkeys, and ducks, in a big swamp. Looking forward to it. Especially if my health improves some.

Outstanding Nick. ;) :rockon:

Don't think I'll change a thing myself.

Kris87

I would never tell myself I'm doing the same thing. If you're not adapting and always learning, then expect the same results. That's just not me.

Wind and thermals intrigue me more than anything. I've learned that if I base my position solely off wind, then I miss opportunities. Once I changed my mentality on wind direction and stand choice, I started killing more big deer. Gotta keep learning there.

Deerhead

Put some blinds out in different areas. Hunt more than I did last year. Like the OP stay healthy... recovering now from hernia surgery. Support the land owner more.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
I gotta get set up better for taking my girls hunting. There was several years after my son left for college that I wasn't taking kids. Now my oldest daughter (14) is interested and the youngest two (9, 8) ask to go a lot. This means less time in a climber and more ladder stands, build a box stand or three, etc. I am outta points so there wont be an awesome state park adventure for me this year either.

Last edited:

Jim Boyd

Do better work on IL farm. Use the landowners tractor and mower more. Fix stands that need it. Move stands that we don’t use. Add stands where we will use them.

Do better camera surveys on SC and IL farms.

Take better care of the clover in SC.

Plant Jo a sunflower field.

Take my 71 year old brother on his virgin Midwest hunt.

Put my friends and family on better SC hunts.

Get off my butt and get in stand in SC.

That is the start of the list……

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
So seasons been over a bit and there is still a little time before turkey season to reflect, what do you think you will do or change next season from this last one. I was hurt the majority of the season so I don't see a whole lot of changing for me other than just staying healthy enough to get out there, what say you?
Same thing I tell my wife every year when she asks me what my News Year's Resolution is. Shoot a bigger buck than last year and catch bigger fish than last year. She always say's.. You say that every year. I reply with, "you, ask the same question every year".;)

Hope you get to feeling better bud and get out there more! :cheers:

shdw633

Same thing I tell my wife every year when she asks me what my News Year's Resolution is. Shoot a bigger buck than last year and catch bigger fish than last year. She always say's.. You say that every year. I reply with, "you, ask the same question every year".;)

Hope you get to feeling better bud and get out there more! :cheers:
:cheers: