What Makes You Successful

bany

Hunt where deer are, and don`t let them know they are being hunted.
And I just plain know or believe I’ll see and eat them. Patience is part of this formula and moving like a sloth to scratch an itch or look around.

NWS

Corn, Sitka camo, ozonics, can am side by side, rangefinders, thermals, thermal drones, big f250 truck, redneck stands, drake and browning stickers have to be on truck Matthews bow only
LOL. That’s funny. You left out the big Non-Typical B&C antler decals on the back window. When I see one of those go by, I realize I’m looking at a real “dyed-in-the-wool”, serious and successful trophy, deer hunter. LOL.

All jokes aside, everyone’s got some really good ideas and suggestions on how to be more successful. I think one aspect that hasn’t been mentioned is your mental outlook on the stand while hunting. For instance, I have seen many times when I am really wanting to kill a deer and I’m thinking about it very hard while I’m hunting on the stand and a lot of times more often than not I don’t see anything. Then when I’m least thinking about killing a deer and maybe daydreaming or thinking about other thoughts other than killing something probably more positive thoughts in terms of sending out brain waves, all of a sudden, I’ve got deer in front of me. I know it sounds kind of funny but there could be something to it. It doesn’t happen all the time but I’ve seen it happen quite a few times Gene Wensel. I think mentioned something like that in his classic book “Hunting Rutting Whitetails”. Also, you gotta have a good positive attitude. If you’re sitting on the stand and you don’t have a very good positive outlook and everything’s negative, chances are somethings gonna happen & you’re gonna screw up or you’re not gonna see anything.IMHO

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
One more thing, and I`ve proven this to myself more than once. Don`t stare at your quarry. Prey animals can sense it. They somehow or other can detect when a predator is concentrating on them. They`ll become uneasy and leave the area, even if you are well hidden and they can`t scent you.

Hunter922

Timing and time..
Spend alot of time on stand. Most years it will be in the 650 hours per season amount For me and slightly less for CJ. Myself and my son ( Hunter922JR) are 99% of the time bow hunting and we also focus our hunting more the last two weeks of October than at any time. I am of the firm belief that where we Hunt ( Cobb, Butts, Morgan, Fulton counties) has a whole lot of rut activity and breeding from 10-15 through 10-31.

earlthegoat2

Check the wind
Check the trails
Check the scrapes and rubs
Check the bedding areas
Check the food sources
Check the travel areas between those two.

Ignore all of that and sit in your most comfortable stand and take a nice nap.

Success.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I wait til I feel the time is right. Both the bucks I killed this year never really hunted them spots. 1st buck sat that morning. Seen doe and a buck. Ok buck. Sat that afternoon 4 doe. Believe it or not but a camera was there. The doe detected it. Stared at it. Blew at it. They bounced around. Then proceeded down the trail. Getting to the good time another deer came up. Said it’s a doe. Put scope on it. Good buck. Shot it. Beginning of Nov. old tree climber still on tree.
well the 14 of nov has been a great day for me. Took a summit climber on the 13 overlooking a rowed out pines the year before. Creek bottom below. Didn’t go in it just put up climber liking toward it. Left. Drove to that road just before daylite. Walked down the road about 3/4 of a mile got in stand. Tried to be quiet lols. New pine makes noise. Daylite breaking. Got ready. Said well it’s my lucky day. 8:30 got there I said I’m already bored. Kept watch on thicket. Seen movement. Only get glimps. Seen antler. Said well looks like a 6 PT. Took awhile for it to go 20 feet. Stopped picked up head. As quick as I could behind shoulder. I don’t miss often. Shot. Must of hit something that I didn’t see. He’s boundin. Tail tucked. I said he ain’t hit. Following he hit a point just before turning. Round sailed he tumbled out of sight.
My plan worked. Poor performance on my part. Looked where 1st shot was. What looked clear had thick brush around shoulder area.
Had many ups and downs looking for him. 3 hours later jumped him. Marked spot. I’ve never called a deer dog tracker. My lab was or is 15 now. I said if that buck jumps again she can’t hang no more He came and glad I called even if the deer was dead in 40ty yards. Time was the key and them 3 dogs. Well 2 of the 3 could run it if needed.
I’ll get another puppy one day. My old dog found 2 deer this year for friends. Made it look easy.

Have a plan right time. Be patient. Scout early then stay out til the hunt.
Turkey season is when I do most my scouting. I’m scouting now like for next year. Haven’t found another big buck yet but several may show better next year. I use the camera as a tool. I place in the woods. Trails I think bucks use and try for daylite pics.
Today’s pic.
1704472545051.jpeg

menhadenman

Not to dive into science papers, but I did catch wind of a neat study done on elk and deer hunting... with a big surprise on success:

"... hours per day outside camp and scouting were most informative, and that use of an all-terrain vehicle, age, and experience were unrelated to hunter success."

In other words, legwork and time in the woods trumps everything. Though I would argue that I made big mistakes on a more routine basis 20 years ago than I do today :)

Neat paper with lots of $10 words if you're inclined to read.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Deer around here on timberland get pressure quick. They react to that pressure. Deer here don’t get big by letting them walk. He uses everything he has encountered for several years to avoid hunters. I’m not a big trophy hunter. I try to get a mature buck. I enjoy others success no matter what it is.
Be careful of the pressure you do before the hunt. Hunt the wind
Remember deer do move in the day. It may not be at that plot with the feeder. But some where around it he does as the season goes.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hunt where the deer already are and want to be, not where you want to hunt at and bring them to. Acorns, edges, and natural funnels.
Pay attention to the wind, especially as it relates to getting into and out of the area you are hunting.
Don't sit in the same place day after day. Move after one or two sits.

basshappy

BANNED
And never make eye contact. I’m a firm believer in that.

Yes my boy and I only look with 1 eye. Deer are prey and they know this. All the camo in the world won't matter if a deer sees two eyes staring at it. One eye is preferred. We also wear camo head nets to break up our face. Scent free compares to makeup. Parasite free compared to dirt.

westcobbdog

I try to hunt places others mostly don't go. Corners, edges ect.. Also look at aerials looking for the thick stuff, on my lease it's our many neighbors with oceans of small thick pines. Then maybe set up on an oak ridge or flat that adjoins those thick pines. Recently found a great spot where nobody on my club ever goes, on a thick pine ridge where our property line and next door neighbors adjoin, so it's only a few hundred yards from their camp, but a huge deer travel corridor.

Arrow3

One thing I can't stress enough is your exit strategy. I've seen it time and time again where people, especially hunting clubs put deer stands where they can see the most deer. More times then not in the afternoon they have to climb down and bump those deer. I'll give up cover area to hunt a spot where I can get in and out with little detection.

When I was younger I just went hunting. Never paid the wind any attention. There were plenty of zero deer seen days even though I was hunting a good area. Now with today's technology I have all of my spots on apps on my phone to check wind. I never hunt a spot with the wind wrong and I don't hardly ever blank with sightings .

I'm also blessed to have plenty or spots to hunting fairly close to my house and a work schedule that allows me plenty of time to hunt.

Shadow11

Preparation H these days. Honestly, it's not even that good imo, but it gets me an extra hr or 2. I dont kill anything big tho, if that's what you're looking for. Only a couple of does and small cull buck this yr. Plenty of meat tho!

Stingray23

Great posts in this thread. Excellent reply from Baddave. Anyone with cattle can tell you when deer are moving. If cows are laying down the deer will be too. And yes, being two hours from hunting land is a grind.
Very true ! Raised hunting a cattle farm back in the day, hunt one now, secret to my success ? Cow manure, simply put, the best cover scent out there hands down ! I use what God gives you out there for cover scent, cow manure, dog fennel before frost kills it, pine needles. I don't use none of that store bought garbage...luck don't hurt none neither

NMH5050

Wind, stand locations, pressure, and just staying away if its not right. Access to the stands is also important to me.

dusty200001

Two parts.
1. Don’t set up on what the hunter likes, go find what the deer are liking and where they are living.

2. Don’t leave deer to go find deer. Once you find the spot where its are up with deer sign don’t leave it to early. Move within the area. Maybe it’s 30 yards down to another tree. People will say you have scented a spot up it’s time to move. I say that not so much. If you are a little cautious with your scent you have nothing to worry about.