What Makes You Successful

BigBass123

Great post in here, going to need to take notes on these.

I think I do a good job on the wind, pretty much every deer I see is inside of 50 yards so I think I’m setting up correctly there.

I do think I struggle on stand location, typically the deer seem to always come in a way I would get seen bringing up the rifle/bow. Or maybe thats fine, but I’m doing a bad job on actually being ready/setup for the moment.

I think I need to be pickier on sign, when it’s undeniable I always see a deer. When I get complacent and throw a sit somewhere because I’m done walking and there is a little sign, I normally don’t or might see a small doe.

Property location makes sense, and something I should research more. I know the area I primarily hunted this year was very low odds, when I did hunt a higher odds property I saw exponentially more deer. Driving an extra 30 minutes may pay dividends.

johnpoulan83

Missed The Vote
Yes my boy and I only look with 1 eye. Deer are prey and they know this. All the camo in the world won't matter if a deer sees two eyes staring at it. One eye is preferred. We also wear camo head nets to break up our face. Scent free compares to makeup. Parasite free compared to dirt.
I’m trying to figure out how you look with one eye? My eyes seem to go the same way as each other

buckpasser

basshappy

BANNED
I’m trying to figure out how you look with one eye? My eyes seem to go the same way as each other

Practice it. You'll get it. Awkward at first, but eventually the strain relaxes. We have tried to use 1 eye when hunting or shooting photography to not scare prey.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I'll vouch for the one eye thing.
I usually cover most of my face with my camouflage hand and look out of one eye. Helps cover that round face silhouette they're looking for.
I think they'll spot binoculars right off the bat too. Because it looks like two big eyes. I have flat out spooked off some owls birds of prey several times with nocs.

Back40hunter

Excellent advice in this post. I’ve had some success over the last 4 decades, at least for where I hunt. One thing that is still challenging to me is how all you guys get the wind to just blow in one direction when you get to a stand! Seems like almost every time I sit I can count on the wind moving through from at least three different directions!! If I tried to move to a different location every time the wind shifted I would be worn out from walking back and forth I am however a fanatic about being clean. Boots never have touched the ground anywhere but the deer woods. Clothes get washed after every hunt, even my caps. Doesn’t make me scent free but it might buy me a few yards that makes the difference between winded or getting a shot!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Excellent advice in this post. I’ve had some success over the last 4 decades, at least for where I hunt. One thing that is still challenging to me is how all you guys get the wind to just blow in one direction when you get to a stand! Seems like almost every time I sit I can count on the wind moving through from at least three different directions!! If I tried to move to a different location every time the wind shifted I would be worn out from walking back and forth I am however a fanatic about being clean. Boots never have touched the ground anywhere but the deer woods. Clothes get washed after every hunt, even my caps. Doesn’t make me scent free but it might buy me a few yards that makes the difference between winded or getting a shot!
Most of my stands have trails in and out from two different irections, And some stands have a three sixty degree view that no matter which way the wind blows, I just pay less attention to the downwind side...

The non existent and extra light when tends to swirl more than a steady breeze. And without a steady breeze, the morning thermals will often do a 180° swap on what the wind supposed to be doing for the day.

DynamicDennis

1.Be on a property with deer.
2.Figure out where the deer are coming from, and going to.
3.Never fight the wind, you won't win.
4.Hunt the best sign you can find.
5.Don't mess with bedding areas, if you know where they are.
6.Spend time in the woods.

Enjoy nature, and don't get hung up on mistakes.

Blackston

Be teachable is something that came to my mind . Property will “ teach “ you how to hunt it , be flexible throw a Hail Mary every now and then …., man alll this talk has got missing season already!!!

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Hunt where deer are, and don`t let them know they are being hunted.

That's how the cavemen did it and all they had was a homemade bow and arrow or spear and atlatl and they killed em by the tons.

JB0704

I Gots Goats
Erybody sed it. Access. A great piece of dirt will make anybody a great hunter. I own land in Heard County I can't hardly ever see a deer on, and I am in clubs in Troup and Coweta county (both bordered by rivers) where I am over run with deer. Same hunter, different locations, different results.

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Spend time in the woods. Not just during the season. Be in them year round..

If you have a good dog let it show you. A man can learn a lot from a smart dog

Raylander

I’m Billy’s Useles Uncle.
Also, I think a lot of folks have fallen into the trap of trying to attract deer to where they want them to be instead of locating them and hunting where they are. Learn to read sign (specifically feed trees) and hunt where the deer are; not where you want them to be

Last edited:

DynamicDennis

Also, I think a lot of folks have fallen into the trap of trying to attract deer to where they want them to be instead of locating them and hunting where they are. Learn to read sign (specifically feed trees) and hunt where the deer are; not where you want them to be
I watch some of the guys on our lease every year, they throw feeders and expect to kill one. They say "these bucks are nocturnal". No they ain't, they are just hitting that feeder at night.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What makes deer nocturnal is hunting pressure. I keep harping on don't let them know they are being hunted. Do that right and you'll see both bucks and does at all hours of the day. I know, and have the pictures to prove it.

Change your tactics and try it.

Long Cut

High Quality Habitat. “Smart” Hunter Access & Wind. Low Hunting Pressure = “Good” Hunting Property

Nothing easier than hunting an animal that doesn’t know he’s being hunted.

On the flip side.

There’s nothing more challenging than hunting an animal that knows it’s being hunted.

It’s not that difficult. Keep the pressure low, Access undetected and wait for the right time to hunt.

DynamicDennis

What makes deer nocturnal is hunting pressure. I keep harping on don't let them know they are being hunted. Do that right and you'll see both bucks and does at all hours of the day. I know, and have the pictures to prove it.

Change your tactics and try it.
This was meaning they do not scout very much, throw up a feeder and think deer will just be there at prime times to kill them. If not in a travel path, they are likely to visit feeders but more so on occasion. And mostly at night. In my experience. Thats why I ditched feeders a couple years ago. I do more work now, hunting travel paths between bedding areas.I do put out feed,but more to have them stop in front of me, than as an actual food source. And it works out great for our small group. 1/2 bag of corn is just right for a couple sits, unless the pigs find it.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
This was meaning they do not scout very much, throw up a feeder and think deer will just be there at prime times to kill them. If not in a travel path, they are likely to visit feeders but more so on occasion. And mostly at night. In my experience. Thats why I ditched feeders a couple years ago. I do more work now, hunting travel paths between bedding areas.I do put out feed,but more to have them stop in front of me, than as an actual food source. And it works out great for our small group. 1/2 bag of corn is just right for a couple sits, unless the pigs find it.

I wasn't making light of your tactics. I was just stating what works for me. Everybody else's mileage might, and probably will vary.