What herbicide kills soda apples & not peas?

84gator

I planted a seed mix called Powerplant which came up fine, but soda apple plant have shot up. I'm afraid that my ATV plow won't be able to cut the plots up enough. What herbicide if any might kill the soda and leave my peas & soybeans alone?

Agman

Control of Tropical Soda Apple
DO NOT LET PLANTS
PRODUCE FRUIT!

To keep plants from fruiting:
A. If stands are dense:
1. Mow to 3-inch stubble height as soon as possible.
Repeat every 50-60 days through April.
2. Fifty to sixty days after April mowing, spray Remedy™ at 1 quart per acre with 0.10% to 0.25% nonionic surfactant in 40 gallons of water per acre.
3. Check monthly and spray seedlings.

B. If stands are sparse:
1. Spray entire plants with Remedy™ at 0.5% solution with 0.10% to 0.25% nonionic surfactant and color marker.
The color will identify sprayed plants.
2. Check monthly and spray seedlings and untreated plants.

C. If stands are in pastures other than bahiagrass, where
Remedy is not labeled for use:
--Instead of Remedy™, spray dicamba (Banvel, Clarity, Vanquish)
at 2 quarts per acre with 0.10% to 0.25% nonionic surfactant in
20 to 30 gallons of water.

gadeerwoman

I'm just spot spraying the soda apples and horse nettle in my clover plots with roundup from a squirt bottle.

Reminex

Instead of remedy which is very expensive I would go with a triclopyr substitute like Ortho Brush-B-Gon. or Bayer brush killer The % is 8.8 and 8 respectively. Unless you need to spray a big area, then I would go with the remedy. I would think roundup type glyphosphates would work very well also. But like gadeerwoman said youll have to spot spray.
AGMAN and gadeerwoman what would you recommend for large scale control of weeds in a clover patch. Say if mowing does not help. Would POAST save the clover and kill alot of the problem weeds? Or would it be best to kill it all and start over?

Last edited:

gadeerwoman

Poast won't kill the broadleaf weeds in clover. Mowing and spot spraying is the best solution I've found even for large fields. Mowing helps keep the weeds from going to seed and with fertilization on schedule hopefully the clover can help shade out the weeds. Even with a 2 acre field I'll just walk thru and spot spray all the weeds I can find and if the ground is soft enough, I'll even pull up stuff like horse nettle and throw it in a trash can.