What is the one "newer" Cartridge that you thought was cool but did not quite catch on?

Dub

Any of the Ultra Mags: 7mm, .300, .338, and .375. No normal human can shoot one of these behemoths accurately, at least not for very long. However, when they first came out, they were touted as the "must have" calibers of the decade! In fact, they were so deadly (or you would have thought by reading the gun rags), that all you had to do was point your rifle in the general direction of your intended quarry, and the animal would fall dead from hyper shock!

Once the "newness" wore off the cartridges, and once those who fell for the hype and bought one got their neurosurgeon and chiropractor bills for bodily damage caused by the explosive recoil, the hype ended and they faded out of sight faster than they appeared.

Once again proving that bigger is not always better!

Well said.

At one time I owned 7RUM, 300RUM, 7STW and a few 7RemMags and 300WinMags.

I can't really say why I shot them.....only that I did.

Eastern deer woods with me toting a 7RUM. :rofl:

Let's just say that I learned to appreciate eye relief on a scope. :rofl:

Looking back on it....I can only shake my head and laugh.

I'm glad that I got all that magnumitis out of my system back then.

Mighty glad for it.

menhadenman

And who woulda thunk that a 45-70 - now 151 years old - would still be a great mountain rifle.

But i’ll admit that the 444 Marlin was a fine rifle to handle in the 1990s when I worked at a gun counter handling lots of stuff I couldn’t afford.

Darien1

I always loved and respected the Marlin 308 Express. It elevated the lever rifle to the same level as the bolt gun. My Marlin 308 will be with me until one of my kids inherits it. I think the sale of Marlin to Remington killed a lot of great Marlin rifles that we will probably never see again.

rosewood

I always loved and respected the Marlin 308 Express. It elevated the lever rifle to the same level as the bolt gun. My Marlin 308 will be with me until one of my kids inherits it. I think the sale of Marlin to Remington killed a lot of great Marlin rifles that we will probably never see again.
Doesn't it break your heart when a bigger company buys a smaller (better run) company and runs it into the ground. Karma got Remington, but we lost reasonably priced Marlins and H&R rifles.

rosewood

Looking back on it....I can only shake my head and laugh.

I'm glad that I got all that magnumitis out of my system back then.

Mighty glad for it.
Your shoulder thanks you.

rosewood

I’ve got two of them… don’t care about another Hornady marketing effort. And my 1:8” 7 RM will blow the doors off any 7 PRC on the planet :rofl:
My Savage 110 in 7mag with heavy barrel is easily the most accurate rifle I own. Between it and the 22-250, they are the only rifles that shoot 1/2 MOA everytime I take them to the range. Other rifles will turn in those groups sometimes, but that 7mag has done so everytime I have taken it with my current worked up handloads. It even did it with GA Arms loaded ammo before I started handloading. That gun spoiled me for other rifles that won't shoot as good.

Rosewood

Reactions: Dub

Dub

Your shoulder thanks you.

My shoulders were probably saying, "It is about time you did something to help us". :huh:

Also ran a pair of 80 lb draw Hoyts for years after the magnum bang stick era.
32" draw length and I liked running aluminum XX78 shafts....that poundage helped hurl them at decent speed.
By the time I embraced light-yet-strong carbon arrows and lighter draws....my shoulders threw in the towel. :banginghe

Now, at 55, I go in for my annual checkups with the doc and he reads out my ortho guru's request that I get both knees & a shoulder replaced. My reply is always the same....."I got a few years of work left before I can take the time off for that stuff." He just looks at me like I'm dumb....which, I acknowledge, I am. :rofl:

Taking the time off work for three joint replacements....and three different recoveries...will likely find me in hot water on the job. I'm a year and a half away from reaching 30 years with my employer. That is a milestone that will allow me to carry on my insurance after retirement....and do so at the lowest rates.

Hoping to hang in there for that next year and a half before I do the first knee, recover and return to work. Then the worst shoulder next. If the job gets testy and the terms of employment become overbearing.....perhaps an earlier retirement will occur.

In any event.....I have to get in shape for what comes immediately after retirement.....raising a puppy....and a year later will be raising a second, Lord willing.

I figure if God blesses me with air in my lungs and a steady pulse in my arteries, then I'll beg him for a pair of dogs to train and enjoy. ::;

menhadenman

+1 on the 6mm. They really missed the boat on that cartridge. It should have been bigger than the .243 Winchester.
Market is flooding with new 6 mm. I agree they were first at the bus stop but somehow forgot to get onboard.

Hornady marketing is a bully. Other shops should take note… the 7 PRC just erased the 6.8 Western in a matter of weeks. And it’s not terribly special if you ask me.

menhadenman

Just kidding about the 270. 270 is one of the finest calibers out there. Thought I could get a hearty discussion going.
I’ve never been in the market for a 270 - agree it’s a fine cartridge but bullet and ammo offerings are scant compared to 30 caliber bullets, followed by 26/6.5 mm and 24/6 mm, even 284/7 mm options. I can shoot just as well, kill anything I’d like, and do it cheaper and more often with other rifles.

basshappy

BANNED
I might have missed either of these cartridges if mentioned already in this thread, but two cartridges for me that I absolutely love but if I am honest neither really took off and became an every day round for the masses.

.41 magnum
5.7x28

Love to hunt whitetail with the .41 magnum and carry for defense in N GA mountains from four legged predators.

Love the 5.7x28 for every day carry round. Terminal ballistics coupled with no recoil makes for accurate shots and follow-ups. Ruger offering a pistol and Speer offering ammo has sort of pumped new life into what was essentially FnH's market, but again, for every home that has a 5.7x28 instrument there are thousands that do not.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have a .300WM that I hunt with a lot, and honestly, the recoil isn't bad, I've never really noticed it. My son was hunting with it when he was 13-14, and he's not a great big beast of a feller. I had a Savage 110 .30-06 that had a much sharper, more noticeable kick than the .300 to me. Certainly no worse than my old Mossy 500 12 gauge that I'll sit on a dove field with and run two boxes of shells through and come home with a blue, green, and yaller shoulder. I will say that it's the most accurate rifle I've ever owned.
In general, I don't have much interest in the new caliber of the day. The old classics are classics for a reason, and work just as well today as they ever have. Nothing else is really needed.

Dub

I am mighty grateful for all the competition shooters in the various benchrest, F-Class, Precision Rifle Series and other disciplines. Good stuff.

Their efforts to excel have spurned wildcatting cartridges that take better advantage of high ballistic coefficient bullets and do so much more efficiently. Barrel life is extended.
Ammo & rifle manufacturers took notice.

They've grown things way beyond hunting rifles and hunting cartridges.

They've made it even more fun to shoot simply for the satisfaction of shooting.

I'll always have a sporter weight .270, .308, .243 & .30'06 to grab for hunting.......but I'm probably more enthused over adopting some of the newer developments and having a try at taking pokes at ringing long range steel. It'll be even more gratifying through doing it with gear & ammo that I put together on my own benches.

rosewood

My shoulders were probably saying, "It is about time you did something to help us". :huh:

Also ran a pair of 80 lb draw Hoyts for years after the magnum bang stick era.
32" draw length and I liked running aluminum XX78 shafts....that poundage helped hurl them at decent speed.
By the time I embraced light-yet-strong carbon arrows and lighter draws....my shoulders threw in the towel. :banginghe

Now, at 55, I go in for my annual checkups with the doc and he reads out my ortho guru's request that I get both knees & a shoulder replaced. My reply is always the same....."I got a few years of work left before I can take the time off for that stuff." He just looks at me like I'm dumb....which, I acknowledge, I am. :rofl:

Taking the time off work for three joint replacements....and three different recoveries...will likely find me in hot water on the job. I'm a year and a half away from reaching 30 years with my employer. That is a milestone that will allow me to carry on my insurance after retirement....and do so at the lowest rates.

Hoping to hang in there for that next year and a half before I do the first knee, recover and return to work. Then the worst shoulder next. If the job gets testy and the terms of employment become overbearing.....perhaps an earlier retirement will occur.

In any event.....I have to get in shape for what comes immediately after retirement.....raising a puppy....and a year later will be raising a second, Lord willing.

I figure if God blesses me with air in my lungs and a steady pulse in my arteries, then I'll beg him for a pair of dogs to train and enjoy. ::;
Medical insurance is the kicker. I was about to say you should have the surgery while you still have insurance. You usually lose benefits when you retire.

Rosewood

GAHUNTER60

I would argue that, when it comes to hunting calibers, there has not been significant innovation in the last 60 years -- not since the 7mm Rem. Magnum came out in 1961. What I'm saying is I doubt that there is a single animal anywhere in the world that was taken by one of the newer whizbang calibers that would not be just as dead if shot by a hunter using a much older classic caliber, many of which have already, or are about to, celebrate their 100th birthday!

Now, that said, there have been many useful innovations in the materials used in these old calibers to make them more deadly. More efficient powders give them more velocity; innovative bullet designs make them penetrate deeper on heavy, dangerous game (Swift A-frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw), or fly straighter at longer ranges (polymer tipped bullets like the Ballistic Tip, or AccuBond).

Of course, none of this applies to the paper punchers who are always trying new components and calibers to gain an edge on their competition. More power to 'em, I say. That's a totally different sport from hunting.

Dub

Medical insurance is the kicker. I was about to say you should have the surgery while you still have insurance. You usually lose benefits when you retire.

Rosewood

In 1.5 years I will have 30 years with my employer.

At 25 years I could retain my insurance for similar rate I pay now.

At 30 years that rate drops considerably.

Dub

I would argue that, when it comes to hunting calibers, there has not been significant innovation in the last 60 years -- not since the 7mm Rem. Magnum came out in 1961. What I'm saying is I doubt that there is a single animal anywhere in the world that was taken by one of the newer whizbang calibers that would not be just as dead if shot by a hunter using a much older classic caliber, many of which have already, or are about to, celebrate their 100th birthday!

Now, that said, there have been many useful innovations in the materials used in these old calibers to make them more deadly. More efficient powders give them more velocity; innovative bullet designs make them penetrate deeper on heavy, dangerous game (Swift A-frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw), or fly straighter at longer ranges (polymer tipped bullets like the Ballistic Tip, or AccuBond).

Of course, none of this applies to the paper punchers who are always trying new components and calibers to gain an edge on their competition. More power to 'em, I say. That's a totally different sport from hunting.

The reasonable man fits himself to the world.

The unreasonable man demands the world fit him.

Thus all progress is reliant on the unreasonable man.

rosewood

In 1.5 years I will have 30 years with my employer.

At 25 years I could retain my insurance for similar rate I pay now.

At 30 years that rate drops considerably.
I have 26 years. Up until about 3 years ago, we got insurance with retirement (rate as you say) until Medicare. We no longer have that. We retire, insurance is gone.

So that means I am going to have to hang around longer than I want for insurance, or find another job with medical or find a wife with medical. I like the last option best...

Rosewood

• Sad
Reactions: Dub

Latest posts