What is the one "newer" Cartridge that you thought was cool but did not quite catch on?

menhadenman

I have 26 years. Up until about 3 years ago, we got insurance with retirement (rate as you say) until Medicare. We no longer have that. We retire, insurance is gone.

So that means I am going to have to hang around longer than I want for insurance, or find another job with medical or find a wife with medical. I like the last option best...

Rosewood
That’s what I… married a nurse a few years younger that enjoys being at work.

jglenn

Well I'll throw a couple in no one has metioned yet.. 7mm saum and its brother the 300 saum. I have both in SS mdl 7s that are the two most consistently accurate factory rifles I've ever owned and out shoot most of My custom builds. Both are easily under 1/2 " with most any load.. with the 7 being almost a 1/4" gun. Factory ammo is non existent and brass from ADG is pricey but the guys out west love the round for it's easy accuracy at long range.. the 7 is my deer rifle

Last edited:

GAHUNTER60

Well I'll throw a couple in no one has metioned yet.. 7mm saum and its brother the 300 saum. I have both in SS mdl 7s that are the two most consistently accurate factory rifles I've ever owned and out shoot most of My custom builds. Both are easily under 1/2 " with most any load.. with the 7 being almost a 1/4" gun. Factory ammo is non existent and brass from ADG is pricey but the guys out west love the round for it's east accuracy at long range.. the 7 is my deer rifle

Just add the entire line or Ruger Compact Magnums to your post about nonexistent ammo and brass.

Seems like only the WSM line is destined to survive the short magnum craze of a few years ago. As a reloader, none of these "shorties" are easy to load for, as in order to achieve factory ammo velocities, you have to try and load right up to maximum allowable pressures with our only available powders, while the ammo makers use proprietary powders not available to us!

In my custom .300 WSM, I found that I get pressure signs before reaching target velocity with heavy bullets, forcing me to settle on loads not much hotter than standard 180-grain, .30-06 loads. Still the rifle went to Africa and killed everything it barked at, including 500-pound kudu, and gemsbok.

Darkhorse

Well said.

At one time I owned 7RUM, 300RUM, 7STW and a few 7RemMags and 300WinMags.

I can't really say why I shot them.....only that I did.

Eastern deer woods with me toting a 7RUM. :rofl:

Let's just say that I learned to appreciate eye relief on a scope. :rofl:

Looking back on it....I can only shake my head and laugh.

I'm glad that I got all that magnumitis out of my system back then.

Mighty glad for it.
In 1981 I bought a lefthand model 700 in 7mm rem. Mag. Except for a few forays with a Ruger 44 carbine that rifle was all I hunted with for 15 years. Then I bought a Browning 300 wm and carried only that rifle for 10 plus years. Both of those are 2 of the most accurate rifles I’ve owned. Both will shoot sub ½ “ groups with the right loads.
Now I’ve got a Tikka in .308 that gets most of our local hunting done. But I still occasionally get out one of my magnums and hunt with it. I just like shooting both the 7mm and 300wm. I handle the recoil well and just like shooting them.
None of the newer cartridges really attract me. I’ve already got rifles that do the job as well or better.
Now they tell me I need both shoulders replaced and I agree. But recoil didn’t cause the problems it was lifting heavy weights. A few years before I retired I was benching over 300 pounds. But this recent heart attack has taken all that muscle away. New shoulders will fit right in with my new left knee and left hip replacements caused by running 10 plus miles a day and the hours spent on the martial arts floor kicking and kicking and kicking…….
Now I’m 71 and I’ll tell you old age aint for sissies.

Dub

In 1981 I bought a lefthand model 700 in 7mm rem. Mag. Except for a few forays with a Ruger 44 carbine that rifle was all I hunted with for 15 years. Then I bought a Browning 300 wm and carried only that rifle for 10 plus years. Both of those are 2 of the most accurate rifles I’ve owned. Both will shoot sub ½ “ groups with the right loads.
Now I’ve got a Tikka in .308 that gets most of our local hunting done. But I still occasionally get out one of my magnums and hunt with it. I just like shooting both the 7mm and 300wm. I handle the recoil well and just like shooting them.
None of the newer cartridges really attract me. I’ve already got rifles that do the job as well or better.
Now they tell me I need both shoulders replaced and I agree. But recoil didn’t cause the problems it was lifting heavy weights. A few years before I retired I was benching over 300 pounds. But this recent heart attack has taken all that muscle away. New shoulders will fit right in with my new left knee and left hip replacements caused by running 10 plus miles a day and the hours spent on the martial arts floor kicking and kicking and kicking…….
Now I’m 71 and I’ll tell you old age aint for sissies.

Well said.

It isn’t our fault that joints can’t hold up to our adventures. :rofl:

What was chasing you that had you running ten miles a day….. :)

I also can‘t blame my crunchy shoulders and nerve damage on recoil. Not at all.

It was all the other goofball stuff I did when not hunting that caused the damage.

furtaker

Just add the entire line or Ruger Compact Magnums to your post about nonexistent ammo and brass.

Seems like only the WSM line is destined to survive the short magnum craze of a few years ago. As a reloader, none of these "shorties" are easy to load for, as in order to achieve factory ammo velocities, you have to try and load right up to maximum allowable pressures with our only available powders, while the ammo makers use proprietary powders not available to us!

In my custom .300 WSM, I found that I get pressure signs before reaching target velocity with heavy bullets, forcing me to settle on loads not much hotter than standard 180-grain, .30-06 loads. Still the rifle went to Africa and killed everything it barked at, including 500-pound kudu, and gemsbok.
I knew the RCMs were destined for failure when they were introduced. With all the new short magnums, advertising ones that supposedly got magnum performance from a short barrel was plum silly.

30 TC is another one. That round must operate at ungodly pressures to get 30-06 velocity from a case smaller than a 308.

bighonkinjeep

Any of the Ultra Mags: 7mm, .300, .338, and .375. However, when they first came out, they were touted as the "must have" calibers of the decade! In fact, they were so deadly (or you would have thought by reading the gun rags), that all you had to do was point your rifle in the general direction of your intended quarry, and the animal would fall dead from hyper shock!
The part about them being that deadly isnt "hype" it's fact.
The 300RUM shoots so flat ( laser beam flat) that 100 and 200 yards it has a nearly identical zero. Also carries as much energy at 400 yards as a 30-06 has at the muzzle.
So deadly that theres no need to wait on a broadside shot just put the crosshairs over where the heart is at any angle and pull the trigger. KABOOM SPLAT.
Then go get your antlers and enjoy drinking your deerskin bag full of purple mush through a straw.
I'd always heard that there was "no such thing as too dead" till I saw it for myself.
Spot on about the med bills. Wife insisted that I had to get chest pain checked out. Didnt even equate it to the previous days range session where I fired 40 rounds. Apparently seperated my ribs from my sternum...
Mine is super accurate though. Just gotta get it in your head how much it costs and that it hurts just as much to miss the bullseye. LOL
.30 cal 180s at 3200+, whats not to love?

Last edited:

menhadenman

I can get 180s to 3100 fps in my 7 RM 1:8 twist 28” bbl loading pretty long… but shoot that with a brake so it’s pleasant. I recently split some Peterson brass on their third firing tho. Time to back off that Retumbo a touch!

3200 fps with no brake, no thanks!

buckpasser

Who’s got a .30 RAR?

Gaswamp

6mm and .222 for sure

GunnSmokeer

I would've thought the 35 Whelan would've been more popular, back in the day when the 30-06 was the most popular rifle cartridge among American civilians.

These days, ditto for a .350-.375 caliber
NECKED - UP version of the 308 Winchester, using those readily available cases, and easily adaptable by a factory
to build based on any 308 caliber rifle platform .

Like this round, the .375 Raptor,
developed in 2015
but apparently never catching on in the decade since then.

272B9474-EAAC-4FCF-B880-6A1B84AB4BE6.jpeg

GAHUNTER60

Dang! Talk about a short shoulder! From that angle, it looks like the case is made in two pieces and glued together. :oops:

rosewood

I would've thought the 35 Whelan would've been more popular, back in the day when the 30-06 was the most popular rifle cartridge among American civilians.

These days, ditto for a .350-.375 caliber
NECKED - UP version of the 308 Winchester, using those readily available cases, and easily adaptable by a factory
to build based on any 308 caliber rifle platform .

Like this round, the .375 Raptor,
developed in 2015
but apparently never catching on in the decade since then.

View attachment 1287681

By happenstance I found the .375 Raptor expander decap rod from Lee that I ordered and use it to convert my 30-30 brass to 38-55. The other .375 caliber expanders were too long but the Raptor works perfect. :)

I personally love the .270 rifles. I buy every used one I can find. They make great donor rifles. I pull the barrels and discard them, and rebarrel them in in any other caliber than .270

• Wow
Reactions: Dub

Latest posts